Is Frank drumming Brownstone in the classic pattern now?

From the muffled footage I've seen/heard it seems he is drumming Brownstone intro with the classic pattern rather than with the extra fills like he did on ChiDem tours, am I right?

I do prefer the classic intro.. if anyone has a link to a good quality audio of him playing the intro from the recent shows, feel free to post it up!

His drumming is a lot different this time. It actually took me out of the show for a few seconds when I was there because it was very noticeable to me. They sound more classic but I was used to the "NuGnr" way. He did a great job, I just have to readjust 

Ah good.

Listening to the full Vegas show now, I definitely hear that he does quite a lot of extra rolls and fills on some tracks, like Patience outro.

i've no problem with that at all.. it was just the Brownstone and RQ intros I think sound better in the classic patterns, as they are such classic recognisable funky grooves.

3 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

During the Chinese Democracy tour Frank simply followed the same patterns as Brain, Brain teached him how to do Brownstone.

ah seen... so it was Brain who instigated the new patterns.. well I can sorta understand that at the time they wanted to give a few signature elements to give the impression of nu GnR being a new thing; but now, it's a classic themed tour, so.... classic drumming it should be imo.

I do like the small things they have done to keep the classic theme.. the logo, the band's look, even Axl's style and attire/wardrobe look more like how you might expect the 80s Axl to have turned out 20 years later.

As in, no handlebar moustache, sideboards or yellow raincoats, lol   

33 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

Yeah it seems like it. I also definetly noticed him doing Rocket Queen the more classic way when I was there

Did you go Fri or Sat? Rocket Queen was an abomination Friday because of him.. Wasn't even close to the classic way.. Brownstone does seem better though.

42 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

ah seen... so it was Brain who instigated the new patterns.. well I can sorta understand that at the time they wanted to give a few signature elements to give the impression of nu GnR being a new thing; but now, it's a classic themed tour, so.... classic drumming it should be imo.

I do like the small things they have done to keep the classic theme.. the logo, the band's look, even Axl's style and attire/wardrobe look more like how you might expect the 80s Axl to have turned out 20 years later.

As in, no handlebar moustache, sideboards or yellow raincoats, lol   

I liked all of it. People were offended at the look of the raincoat, pissed off about the moustache, we've got a lot of swags, Bumble brought all the dramas we needed and Chi Dem was truly infamous at that point. Great times.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

i guess Frank has been reading online and seen fans weren't exactly crazy about him as the drummer so hes trying to fit in with the nostalgia classic vibe 

Hopefully that is what is happening.. Nothing against you dude, people just want to hear you play the songs in their original spirit... Rocket Queen is your next project ;) Watch some Brent Fitz videos on that one.. Especially during the jam parts..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Did you go Fri or Sat? Rocket Queen was an abomination Friday because of him.. Wasn't even close to the classic way.. Brownstone does seem better though.

I don't tend to mind Frank, but on Friday his drumming on RQ (leading up to the slide solo especially) sounded very out of place. He was drumming fast on a lot of songs that night, he seemed to have calmed down by the second night a bit though.

Classic style or not. He's rushing it. There's also the fact that he sounds more aggressive in parts where Adler would add a longer pause (slightly off tempo, aka "groove") and Sorum would play it more "square", if you know what I mean. I think he just needs more time touring with the rest of the band. Rehearsals are just different.

• Like 2

on the subject of playing stuff fast: worth noting that Adler used to play damn fast sometimes. I made a thread on the subject once, can't find it now, but was a good discussion.

I actually clocked the bpm differences between Adler and Sorum's playing for Brownstone, Adler was sometimes almost 20 bpm faster than Sorum's usual UYI tour speed.

How do I find my old threads btw? 

Some of these songs need to be slowed down.

I also think PC is too fast. Axl needs to go back to the way he used to sing in the old days. He sings it too fast now and sings in parts he shouldn't be. I never liked the way he sung it with the new band. He should go back to the old way now that they have reunited.

Edited by SWINGTRADER

Can I be honest? I've never heard how he played it incorrectly. Can someone show me a side by side comparison of how it ought to be and an example where Frank plays it incorrectly?

As far as Frank's tempo, that's not really up to Frank. See that earpiece? It isn't just a monitor. It has a click track in it. If Axl's 30 year career has taught us nothing, it's that the way songs will be played will not be dictated by the drummer.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, liers said:

I did notice the songs seem faster but I don't think Frank is making them that way. Yes been in the band for 8 years and songs were never noticeably faster because of him.

In the 2009 tokyo in-ear monitor sound feed that was leaked online, some of the songs had a metronome if i remember correctly, maybe now that Pitman is out (assuming that he was in charge of it) they dont set a metronome anymore and frank plays it too fast because of no reference

52 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

Can I be honest? I've never heard how he played it incorrectly. Can someone show me a side by side comparison of how it ought to be and an example where Frank plays it incorrectly?

As far as Frank's tempo, that's not really up to Frank. See that earpiece? It isn't just a monitor. It has a click track in it. If Axl's 30 year career has taught us nothing, it's that the way songs will be played will not be dictated by the drummer.

Frank's the fucking drummer dude , no offense but the drummer actually dictates the tempo, that's why they are called the timekeeper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Millions said:

A lot of bands raise the tempo when performing live - compared to the album version of songs. It gives them an extra energy and gets the crowd going.

Why are we assuming this is Frank's decision?

It can add energy up to a point but  when it's too fast, then it actually does the opposite and drains the power out of the riffs.

31 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Frank's the fucking drummer dude , no offense but the drummer actually dictates the tempo, that's why they are called the timekeeper.

Nope, the tempo is determined at the rehearsal by axl/band. Then Frank plays at that tempo at the shows.

Edited by hypird
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tsinindy said:

He rushed exact same songs during both nights at exact same speed. That's not a mistake for sure. Why doesn't he rush Coma but rushes Rocket Queen on both nights? Because that's the way they rehearsed it 

• Like 1