Petition To Axl : Play Slither Live

2 hours ago, Bono said:

I laugh at all you people using the "This is GnR, not VR" argument. If that's the case how the fuck did songs by Bob Dylan, The Who, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton and Wings get into the setlist. A song by VR would be a cover song people. It wouldn't be passed off as a GnR and those of you whining that a VR song is taking up space where another GnR song could be featured really need to start a thread bitching about all the space wasting songs I just mentioned if you're really that adament about ONLY GnR songs being played. Otherwise accept the fact that a VR song would appeal to a very large portion of the Guns N Roses fan base. Much more so than the fucking Seeker. 

if axl and the band think a VR song would go down well and they want to play one then fair enough, it will be a welcome change. having KOHD and LALD played at every gig when they are not GNR songs is starting to bore some fans. i just cant understand the logic of these people saying axl has got to sing VR songs because slash and duff are playing CD songs. 

14 hours ago, Millions said:

Slash and Duff are happy to play Better, This I Love, etc, so it would be nice if Axl would return the favour - don't you think?

I don't consider it a favor from Slash and Duff. When they join a band they are expected to play that band's music.

But yes, I wouldn't mind them covering Velvet Revolver. But as others said, I would much prefer more Guns songs than more covers. There Was A Time springs to mind.

Considering Guns N' Roses split up into essentially two groupings, Velvet Revolver and Nugnr, it would have looked the democratic and correct policy to play one Velvet Revolver song for every Nugnr song. In an ideal world I would prefer neither, and instead be witness to more deep cuts and a minimum of two new songs, recently composed by Axl, Slash and Duff at their recent rehearsals. Anyhow, Sorum, who instigated Velvet Revolver and contributed a fair amount of songwriting (e.g. 'Set Me Free'), has been sold down the river - the poor bastard.

• Like 2

I would really, really love to hear Oh My God. It's a GN'R song and since Slash and Duff are playing GN'R songs from when they weren't in the band, it would be cool to hear them on this one. I'm really curious to hear Axl on this live. I remember how excited I was to hear this when it came out in the wilderness years. I know it's not everyone's favorite, but I really dig this song. 

I never considered myself a fan of Velvet Revolver.  I don't think their music was bad, but it never connected with me.  I actually enjoyed Snakepit I, II and Slash's solo music more.

In an ideal scenario for me, they should drop all the cover songs so, no more CD songs or ACDC, Rose Tattoo, The Who songs.  But if they're going to perform them anyway, I would love to see them add to their setlist songs like Back And Forth Again, Set Me Free, Let It Roll, Slither, Fall To Pieces, Beggars And Hangers-On and Starlight.  Not only they're vastly superior songs than Chinese Democracy songs, but Axl would kill them vocally.

Just wonder how comfortable Axl is singing Scott's lyrics etc. 

I like Slither and Fall to Pieces (It really is Scott and Mary's SCOM?). 

Garden of Eden is kind of a prototype VR song. So Fine would be kind of cool. 

3 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

I never considered myself a fan of Velvet Revolver.  I don't think their music was bad, but it never connected with me.  I actually enjoyed Snakepit I, II and Slash's solo music more.

In an ideal scenario for me, they should drop all the cover songs so, no more CD songs or ACDC, Rose Tattoo, The Who songs.  But if they're going to perform them anyway, I would love to see them add to their setlist songs like Back And Forth Again, Set Me Free, Let It Roll, Slither, Fall To Pieces, Beggars And Hangers-On and Starlight.  Not only they're vastly superior songs than Chinese Democracy songs, but Axl would kill them vocally.

Totally agree with this.

But hearing Axl sing songs about himself like "Back and Forth Again" or "Beggars And Hangers-On" would be equal parts hilarious and awkward.

Still, Back and Forth Again would actually be my top choice (because I love that song), followed by Slither, Starlight etc. Just drop all the damn covers (plus Chinese Democracy and TIL) already and replace them with content that actually is GnR-related.

Edited by Lumikki

16 hours ago, donny said:

the last GNR concert i went to was london 2012. they played whole lotta rosie and everyone knew the song, everyone knew the words and everyone sang along and the place was rocking. if they play a VR song there will be many people asking the person next to them "whats this ?" 

i'm sure that happens with some "fans" for the songs from CD 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Considering Guns N' Roses split up into essentially two groupings, Velvet Revolver and Nugnr, it would have looked the democratic and correct policy to play one Velvet Revolver song for every Nugnr song. In an ideal world I would prefer neither, and instead be witness to more deep cuts and a minimum of two new songs, recently composed by Axl, Slash and Duff at their recent rehearsals. Anyhow, Sorum, who instigated Velvet Revolver and contributed a fair amount of songwriting (e.g. 'Set Me Free'), has been sold down the river - the poor bastard.

well, neither was Gilby and him and Gilby were the replacements 

12 hours ago, chevelle said:

It'd be cool to hear, but I think it might be weird for Slash and Duff considering Scott hasn't even been dead six months yet. Having another singer already doing his songs as part of a standard set seems a little...off putting.

Ugh, SMKC last played NYE and Slither is a staple of their setlist

35 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Totally agree with this.

But hearing Axl sing songs about himself like "Back and Forth Again" or "Beggars And Hangers-On" would be equal parts hilarious and awkward.

Still, Back and Forth Again would actually be my top choice (because I love that song), followed by Slither, Starlight etc. Just drop all the damn covers (plus Chinese Democracy and TIL) already and replace them with content that actually is GnR-related.

Haha, I don't know if those songs are about Axl per se, but you have a point.

I just want Axl to sing those songs because most of them were being considered for Gn'R at some point by himself.  Hell, you can even hear Axl whistling on the Beggars And Hangers-On riff in those 'Making the Fuckin' Videos' documentaries.

2 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Haha, I don't know if those songs are about Axl per se, but you have a point.

I just want him to sing those songs because most of them were being considered to be Gn'R songs at some point by himself.  Hell, you can even hear Axl whistling on the Beggars And Hangers-On riff in those 'Making the Fuckin' Videos' documentaries.

I always thought "Back and forth again" (and also "What do you want to be?" for example) definitely were about Axl specifically because the lyrics just fit perfectly. And they also fit with various things Slash has said about Axl over the years. Then Slash went ahead and confirmed he'd more or less written the entire album about Axl and now I can't hear these songs without thinking of Axl, Slash and all their... break-up drama. :P

But yeah, I agree with you, these songs are way more GnR than endless covers of songs by other artists.

11 minutes ago, jmapelian said:

i'm sure that happens with some "fans" for the songs from CD 

no. axl was pissed off big time in 2006 because the fans where singing along to CD songs before it was released, and they where still singing along in 2012. there will obviously be a small minority of "fans" that dont know CD songs but there will also be a small minority of "fans" that cant even name all the band members. 

i would love it if they dropped KOHD and LALD from the set and replaced them with 2 new cover songs(something fresh) but the new cover songs have got to be songs from big bands that people know and can relate to, not something from a mediocre band that didnt last long and only a few die hard GNR fans know.

also the new cover songs would have to be something the band likes and are all happy to play not something axl is being told he has got to play because he owes people favours.

20 hours ago, Millions said:

Hey, everyone - I would love.... LOVE...... if we could somehow pull this off. There seems to be a lot of good feeling right now between everyone - the band and fans, especially. It would be absolutely incredible to hear Axl's vocals on this song. 

Slash and Duff are happy to play Better, This I Love, etc, so it would be nice if Axl would return the favour - don't you think? And I know some fans here would have a different song-choice to Slither - but this makes sense - as well as being a great up-tempo, hard rock track, it was quite a high profile song, so a lot of the non-hardcore fans will know it. 

So let's see if we can get this petition going........

Thanks,

John. 

You would rather them play yet another cover song instead of new material?

This thread title alone was enough to make me smile.

:lol:

IDK... It'll be cool, but I don't know.

Would be nice to see By The Sword performed by Guns N' Roses...

IDK.

RIP to Scott Weiland though...

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

IDK... I'm watching Axl's singing...

Guns N' Roses it seems, is in Eb.

Songs from Slash's solo record were E Standard. Songs performed live with Myles Kennedy alternated between Slash's Snakepit songs recorded in Eb being performed in E standard, Guns N' Roses songs recorded in Eb bering performed in Eb and Velvet Revolver songs recorded in dropped D being performed in dropped D... IDK... but with the semitonal differences for Guns N' Roses being Eb and not E Standard.. VR songs would be performed in C#? (Same tuning as SOAD recorded Toxicity in).. for Guns N' Roses to perform those songs..

So am thinking, Slash songs in Eb tuned to match Guns N' Roses (and even Slash's Snakepit); and VR songs in C# would suit Axl's vocals, perhaps.

In Eb, would be cool if they broke out and did a Jimi Hendrix cover out of nowhere or Nirvana..

IDK. I've only heard him singing in E standard songs when it's been sped up in editing to be the E Standard pitch.. So I think same would go with VR's dropped D catalog, see how it sounds in C# with Axl?

Edited by Snake-Pit

I can't get my head round with all these demands for gnr to play vr, songs. Regardless of the bands set-up, CD was written by the band "GNR" so anyone in this band currently has to play it, it does not matter if VR was made out of gnr members - its still labeled a VR song and has nothing to do with the band named GNR, so get over it.

You think that just because some of the songs might have their roots dated back to the old gnr they should be played? Or is it because vr had 3/5 gnr members? The 3/5 means jack shit, why not play slashs solo material and Duff Loaded stuff at the same time too? Hell, Axl should even bust out some holywood rose or la guns tunes also, because he is also a member of gnr and has some tunes.

Edited by DocArunas