Anyone wondering what happened to Tommy?

liers

So Dj quit for Sixx AM. Bumblefoot quit because he was aggravated, and pitman either quit in a fit of rage or got fired because of his outburst.... We know that...

But noone seems to be discussing what the heck happened to Tommy? He missed a few shows in 2014 because of the replacements reunion but that's long over with at this point. I doubt Axl would fire him to make way for a reunion since he was in the band since 1998, basically helped build Nugnr, and seemed to be one of the people Axl was closest to. Did Axl announce that Slash was returning and Tommy decided to step down so Duff could return? Or did Tommy see after he missed the shows in 2014 that if he left Duff would likely come back, leading to a reunion? If that's the case, did Tommy open the door for the reunion?

I think Duff was back in before Slash. Dj and Bumble left because they felt that GNR was stifling their other projects. Being in GNR for them meant that they couldn't commit to anything, and when they did, GNR invariably blew their plans up. I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy had a similar problem. He didn't know how long the Mats reunion would last, and I wouldn't put it past Axl to say "pick them or me" (he did it with Bumble's health, for god's sake, why wouldn't he do it with the drunkard in the plaid suit?). I think Tommy wanted the freedom and didn't want to be holding all of his best new material for a band that might never release it anyway.

• Like 1

Tommy also said "we all just kinda sorta left it in Vegas." So I guess by that point it was clear some kind of reunion with slash and duff was coming so it was only a matter of picking and choosing who from the 09-14 band would make the cut (sans Bumble, who had already said he was quitting by this point). since this reunion seems to have been about reestablishing the partnership that was around during UYI, duff's return was probably inevitable, and you can't have two bassists, so really Tommy being shown the door was also kinda inevitable.

I doubt Tommy opened any doors for a reunion. Axl meeting Duff opened the doors for reunion.

Tommy himself said that all of them sorta left after vegas and if he gets the call, he will be there.

All of them were basically hired hands and din't know what is going on. Even Fortus or Frank could have never got the call and Axl could have hired any unknown person and wouldn't have to inform Fortus or Frank about it.

I guess none of them knew what is going on till December or so. A lot of legal stuff would have taken place in between June to November or so. 

He always said that if the old guys wanted to get back in, he'd gladly step back and let them take their place.

Out of all the guys that Axl has had in the band, I hold Stinson pretty highly with the best of them. Great player and his bass on Chinese Democracy is a burried gem.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dean said:

He always said that if the old guys wanted to get back in, he'd gladly step back and let them take their place.

Out of all the guys that Axl has had in the band, I hold Stinson pretty highly with the best of them. Great player and his bass on Chinese Democracy is a burried gem.

yes

Tommy says...I found myself somewhat recently a single father to an 8 year old 24/7. I've gotta take care of her, so she's out there living the best she can. So I have to be here for that.  He says he plans to tour this summer before she goes back to school in the fall.

All-the-while he’s trying to work around his 8-year-old daughter’s school schedule. But Stinson says being a single-father hasn’t just changed his work schedule.  “It changes everything,” says Stinson. “It changes, you know, your focus. It changes your entire outlook on things. It makes what was once frivolous a lot more frivolous. It makes what was once important really important.”

http://wuwm.com/post/rocker-tommy-stinson-reflects-fatherhood-and-importance-intimacy#stream/0

20 minutes ago, Funky.Monkey said:

Tommy says...I found myself somewhat recently a single father to an 8 year old 24/7. I've gotta take care of her, so she's out there living the best she can. So I have to be here for that.  He says he plans to tour this summer before she goes back to school in the fall.

All-the-while he’s trying to work around his 8-year-old daughter’s school schedule. But Stinson says being a single-father hasn’t just changed his work schedule.  “It changes everything,” says Stinson. “It changes, you know, your focus. It changes your entire outlook on things. It makes what was once frivolous a lot more frivolous. It makes what was once important really important.”

http://wuwm.com/post/rocker-tommy-stinson-reflects-fatherhood-and-importance-intimacy#stream/0

THIS - Also I read somewhere form Tommy that he had to turn down a number of GNR tours as a result of his situation. Essentially GNR just didn't fit in with his personal life. I completely respect that. Tommy did a hell of a job for GNR for the 15 years he was in.

• Like 2

Pretty sure he left gnr in a tough spot when he chose his reunion gig over gnr- luckily duff filled in, but that just paved the way for him to be out and duff to be in.

too bad the 'mats thing fizzled out for him a lot of people were excited about them making a comeback

• 1 month later...

Tommy has been supportive of Axl since leaving Guns N' Roses, and if Tommy had a problem with the way his time in the band ended, he would have said something. As others pointed out, he appears to have become a single father, and he had a pretty severe alcohol problem. A friend of mine worked on a festival in Atlanta where The Replacements played, and she said before the show Tommy was not in a good state and was so drunk that people were amazed he could even take the stage. 

On April 13, 2016 at 5:54 PM, ohmygod said:

THIS - Also I read somewhere form Tommy that he had to turn down a number of GNR tours as a result of his situation. Essentially GNR just didn't fit in with his personal life. I completely respect that. Tommy did a hell of a job for GNR for the 15 years he was in.

This. Literally here is the reason Stinson was out, so axl brought back duff. I think touring with duff really opened axls eyes and made him realize that a reunion wouldn't be so painful if he could get on the same page with slash so, duff helped there and he rest is history.