Eddie Trunk's Vegas recap

47 minutes ago, spliff said:

http://podcastone.com/Eddie-Trunk-Podcast

tldr shows were great and eddie trunk knows shit we don't but won't tell us until they're annouced

little summary

thursday he went to dinner with slash, myles, and the conspirators 

slash said the vibe in the band was great and was all positive
then eddie played them the new ace frehley album in the restaurant :laugh:

met duff at the hotel and was told about axl's broken leg

duff talks about it's amazing he was able to tough it out and finish the troubadour show considering how severe the break was

no one had the answer how late they would go on.. thought it was funny it said doors open at 8 on the ticket

got a text from vince neil's friend after the nicolas cage fight :bitchfight: and said vince is having a get together at his bar
met with vince and told him he's the only one left to carry on the motley crue songs blablabla :sleeper:

met a fan wearing one of the gnr shirts from the merc stands and asks him much it cost. the fan tells him 45$ and this blows eddie's mind. fan tells him springsteen sells shirts for 65.. then eddie goes on about how reunions always are about the money

fast forward to the night of the show.. he hangs outside of the arena til 11 because he knew gnr wouldn't go on earlier (guessing he's not a big aic fan)..  on the way to his seat he takes a bunch of pictures with fans and then notices maggie (lauren cohen) from the walking dead. no one is recognizing her so he goes up to her and ends up giving her HIS number  :shrugs:

while waiting for guns to go on they played the first montrose album which made eddie happy..

show started around midnight and they sound great blablabla.. 
goes on to talk about the line up being basically the 2014 line up with slash and duff plugged in..

knows why pitman is out but can't talk about it
said they sounded great because axl nailed it . 
part of it was because he rehearsed but also because he was seated.. 
goes on about his theory of why artists sound great in recording studios because they're seated and not running around stage
happy they cut the time down a bit (no extended solos like nu gnr did)
says this is still axl's band 
6 or 7 alternate songs they will sub out to freshen the set
stage set will be different for the stadiums
knows some secrets but can't burn bridges

show ends 2:30 am he gets a text from beta.. goes backstage 
sees slash and axl talking.. 
sees dave grohl and taylor hawkins.  jokes about how dave managed to get himself attached to the gnr reunion (he's tired of seeing grohl on every thing rock related)
finally meets with axl.. they talk about the show, broken leg, music in general, and some shit he can't talk about until it's announced because he gave axl his word
only thing he can say is axl is very happy.. he'll be in the chair for coachella (not sure if the same throne) and will be in the cast for a couple of weeks after.. will need rehab after getting it off before he will be back to running around on stage
also said axl wants to do another interview..

isn't 100% sure but thinks that izzy/steven will probably show up to some dates with how positive the vibe is but doesn't think it's anytime soon 

didn't want to go to the saturday show (which he was offered to) because he didn't want to bug them anymore so he had a book signing and sold his merc and then went to generation axe show at the hard rock

Great summation. I actually already listened to it but read your post anyway because it was so spot on haha. Although I would also add how smug Eddie is about knowing shit that we don't.

The only reason I like this Eddie cryptic nonsense better than most is his saying that he wasn't sure if it would be announced by today or not. I am desperately hoping that this means that they'll be optioning their second shows in the bigger markets soon, 'cause I need those MetLife prices to come down! :P

A fine show. Didn't expect more from Eddie than he gave us. He's a knowledgeable dude with fun stories, and I'm still living vicariously through anyone who was in Vegas (smug radio douche or not :p). This podcast is exactly what I expected.

2 minutes ago, spliff said:

he could have thrown us a bone with pitman.. unless it's something personal like he's in rehab or got aids or some shit

...unless Axl asked him not to, as a friend, and Eddie respected that.

17 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Great summation. I actually already listened to it but read your post anyway because it was so spot on haha. Although I would also add how smug Eddie is about knowing shit that we don't.

This. Guys such a little shit. "I know stuff you don't but I'm not sharing." Piss off Trunk. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, spliff said:

he could have thrown us a bone with pitman.. unless it's something personal like he's in rehab or got aids or some shit

Great now this post will be used in an Article 

"Former GN'R towel waver hiding HIV diagnosis."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RNRS said:

I'm getting a bit tired of Eddie and his "I can't say this" stuff. If you can't talk about it, then just don't. It comes across as bragging about you being in the circle a lot of fans would really love to be part of. And I've also got a feeling Eddie's not really part of that circle as much as he makes it come across, but that's just a gut feeling.

Trunk isn't a bad guy, just a shameless self Promoter. What better way to sell the product of Trunk, wave around how in the know you are. 

5 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

This. Guys such a little shit. "I know stuff you don't but I'm not sharing." Piss off Trunk. 

Good lord, he's not sharing bc he was asked not to...not bc he wants to rub it in your face that he knows things you don't.  Get over it.

his attitude about is a tad smug at times, but he can't share stuff he's been told not to or his credibility is ruined and the band will never talk to him again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spliff said:

goes on to talk about the line up being basically the 2014 line up with slash and duff plugged in..

says this is still axl's band 

Pretty much.. I just don't see this thing having much legs... Slash and Duff joined to have some fun and make a ton of money and are cool with Axl now but I'm sure they have no say in the lineup amongst other things and are just going to make the best of it.  As cool as it is, Deep down I know they think this thing could be better. It sure isn't going down the way they always said it would if it happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My biggest problem is the complaining about t-shirt prices. News flash Ed.... Concert t-shirts have been floating around the $45 mark for over a decade. It has nothing to do with reunions being about money. It has everythi to do with the crash in album sales and every artist charging more for other things to make the money they're losing on album sales.

Not to mention that it just wasn't true. Springsteen T's were $35 or $40, I think 2XL and up were $45. The $65 swag was the hoodie, and hoodies are always cray expensive at concerts. A $40-$45 concert T is perfectly normal for an arena show. Just not a big deal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Pretty much.. I just don't see this thing having much legs... Slash and Duff joined to have some fun and make a ton of money and are cool with Axl now but I'm sure they have no say in the lineup amongst other things and are just going to make the best of it.  As cool as it is, Deep down I know they think this thing could be better. It sure isn't going down the way they always said it would if it happened.

You're always so negative, dude. :D

Just because Eddie is saying that this is Axl's band doesn't mean it is. Axl must have conceded some privileges for this to work, and to be fair to Axl, Slash and Duff left the band. They gave up their piece. It's early days, if the positive buzz continues... anything is possible. It takes time to heal the rift, but from the Vegas vibe I get the feeling that they are on their way.

Reunions are always about the money yet every show I've ever been to for any band the shirts have been no less than $40. Why are people still shocked by this?

He sounds annoying trying to be humble about not going to the second show. Really dude? Just accept the ticket and go.

Reading how this guy comes across it kind of baffles me that Axl would want anything to do with him, let alone give this guy an interview.

I guess something is better than nothing though. Appreciate you transcribing it so I didn't have to listen to him.

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

If new material is released, it'll have legs. If not, it won't. It's really as simple as that. 

Yep, that's probably true...once they've made the rounds the initial novelty will wear off and they'll either need new material or play smaller venues and do the full album thing.  But even that would probably only work for a limited time with Appetite....and I really don't think they should do that without Adler and Izzy being fully involved.  

Some things about Eddie Trunk irritate me, but I do appreciate that he honestly seems to be a big fan of the bands he covers. He doesn't seem to have an axe to grind; he seems like a fan.

The "I know something but I can't tell you" stuff is annoying, though. If someone asks him a direct question -- as they did with Steven Adler's situation -- I can understand why he would say, "Well, I can't really comment on that." But to make a post or a podcast where he's saying "Oh, I was told stuff, but I can't tell yoooouuuu..." really isn't necessary at all IMHO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PITBOSS said:

Sounds like he needed to go peddle his merch instead of going to the second show. I would like to see an Axl interview soon- I don't care if it's Eddie or Al Roker. Of course I'm wondering what these big surprises are, I'm curious. My guess is we are looking at a couple new songs and the extra stadium dates and possibly overseas dates. I don't really care why Pitman is gone. Probably some type of beef/ conflict between him and Slash so he had to go.

Eddie you're such a huge GNR fan and you're gonna turn down tix to the second show? Dude, we been waiting for these shows for years and you're gonna skip it? WTF, you're supposed to be a reporter on the scene giving us the scoop- you could've easily missed a great story.

he's not a huge gnr fan.. he's a huge kiss/ufo fan. I remember him choosing either choosing skidrow over gnr or sebastian bach over axl in one of those top 5 lists they did on the metal show

Lets put ourselves in Eddies spot....if he doesn't say, "there are things I can't talk about yet"....then he's gonna get everyone asking him..

did you talk about Izzy?

what about Adler?

Europe anyone soon?

gltta be a new record man, what did Axl say about that?

so maybe he says what he can and then says "there's more I'm unable to discuss right now" to deflect all of that?

• Like 1