Eddie Trunk's Vegas recap

1 minute ago, GoBucky said:

That's possible, but Neil Young isn't an arena act over here anymore, so his shirts would be a tad cheaper. Btw, the man rocks! 

Neil certainly is an arena act in the United States. Here is a list of his last US tour,

http://www.sugarmtn.org/getshows.php?tour_key=190

Inglewood Forum; Rogers Arena; Spokane Arena, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Can't speak for others but I certainly don't hate the dude but I don't love him either. I am thankful for what he does for keeping rock alive, but I'm not a big fan of his interviews, etc. He's just boring to me and that has nothing to do with what he says or doesn't say about GN'R.

As far as GN'R directly; I just feel the same way about what Trunk said as when Fernando said something similar. If you know something and you can't tell us, then why tell us you know something at all? I ain't mad at it, I just don't get it. GN'R fans have gone through years of time spans where the "News" front is barren wasteland. To dangle the vague carrot that he knows news is coming but can't tell us is just unneeded is all.

It's similar to the age old "GN'R Insider" trade. They always say "Something cool is coming, I know something you don't know". Then when nothing happens, they get to say "Plans changed" and either way they're right. To me, that's the same thing Trunk is doing and it's just irritating.

Let me put it this way; if my friend told me she was expecting a baby, but not to tell anyone else yet, I'd respect that as a whole. I wouldn't go on social media and say "Jane has some great news coming, but I said I woudn't say anything". All that does is make me the center of attention in her situation and it will certainly cause a stir that she probably didn't want.

Kind of an extreme example? Maybe, but I think you get what I mean.

It's easier to be ambiguous and downplay what you know, instead of going "I know something you don't" like a 5 year old. 

Eddie is an 80s hard rock guy that occasionally touches on 70s and 90s eras, but the only good thing about him is that if bands from that era have a new album out, he'll promote it. 

1 hour ago, GoBucky said:

Got me on that one...he usually plays theaters when he plays here in Chicago 

Probably because he has a fondness for your Chicago Theatre; Old neoclassical place? Historic? Excellent acoustics? Yes, that is typical Shakey, becoming attached to a place such as that. He has played there eight times since 1992. He does play the United Center when he is obviously forced into an arena situation which occurs when he is with Crosby, Stills and Nash or Crazy Horse; I believe the United Center is a 20,000 plus seater? He has played there six times since 2000, including as recently as 2012 (with the Horse).

http://www.sugarmtn.org/getshows.php?city=chicago

Edited by DieselDaisy

10 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

Trunk told me my thoughts on music mean nothing because I like Steel Panther, so I guess I'll keep my opinion to myself...

Well if the shoe fits................... I kid, I kid! :lol:

Honestly, I used to be like him in that regard. I used to completely disregard others opinions on music if they liked something I hated or hated something I liked. Somewhere along the lines, I grew up and realized that's a ridiculous way to go about life. Take Steel Panther for example; I dislike pretty much everything about them but that doesn't mean they don't bring joy to someone else and what's wrong with that? Over time, I've become more of a champion of music in general as opposed to being a champion of just the things I like. I'm one hell of a lot happier person since I learned to grow up in that regard and no doubt the people I interact with every day are as well lol.

• Like 4

No doubt, I like Steel Panther, I know a few of the guys and some of the guys that work with them, and they're a fun band. That's no reason to look down on someone because you don't like them. I don't like half of the music he champions, but I still respect his opinion, and just love talking music period. 

On April 14, 2016 at 11:16 AM, RNRS said:

I'm getting a bit tired of Eddie and his "I can't say this" stuff. If you can't talk about it, then just don't. It comes across as bragging about you being in the circle a lot of fans would really love to be part of. And I've also got a feeling Eddie's not really part of that circle as much as he makes it come across, but that's just a gut feeling.

As much as I prefer to defend Eddie, I just cannot ever argue this point.

I went to the meet n greet last Sat. Wanted to meet Eddie as I liked TMS and like that he is a good promoter of hard rock etc...1st guy I ran into was Jim Florentine.  Might as well of run into my neighbor- guy was down to earth and great....coulda talked for hours.   Eddie.....I'm not gonna rip him, but he had a "I'm important" aura going on.   Got a pic with both of them though, but at end of the day Florentine was the man!

I'm glad Eddie said he knows some cool things on the horizon, because even if they don't happen they are more likely to come to light (as far as what could have been) further down the road.

This whole vibe with things seems so much more positive. And while it could all just be a money grab it actually feels less like a money grab than the last 6 years of gnr have felt like.

20 hours ago, starlight said:

if the interview with eddie is about Axl in AC/DC it will suck

I think the interview will focus on that but who are we kidding, he'll ask about GNR as well. An interview with axl Rose happens about as often as haleys comet coming around. 

My issue with Trunk is that I think he forgets that he's suppose to be a journalist first, friend of rockstars second.  If he sees himself more as a DJ than a reporter, than his loyalty should be with the fans, not the musicians.  Name dropping and boasting about knowing "insider" stuff is, in my opinion, not doing anyone but himself any favours.  

• Like 1