Eddie Trunk's Vegas recap

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think a lot of people are just jealous of Trunk.. I am not a big fan or anything but he gets paid to do what we do on these forums.. Also gets to rub elbows and become friends with all the rock gods.  Good for him.

My thoughts exactly!

8 hours ago, downzy said:

My issue with Trunk is that I think he forgets that he's suppose to be a journalist first, friend of rockstars second.  If he sees himself more as a DJ than a reporter, than his loyalty should be with the fans, not the musicians.  Name dropping and boasting about knowing "insider" stuff is, in my opinion, not doing anyone but himself any favours.  

He's not a journalist, he promotes classic hard rock and metal on a radio show.

5 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

He's not a journalist, he promotes classic hard rock and metal on a radio show.

And that's all fine and good if we want to play semantics, but I still feel his loyalties reside too heavily with the artists and not with the fans.  If he's going to conduct interviews, why not actually ask some tough questions and produce some tangible information for fans rather than his usual infomercial quality line of questioning.  

I'm relatively knew to this forum, but I don't get the Trunk hate at all.  He doesn't pass on rumors, he promotes music that pretty much no one else does, he gets good guests on his various shows, and he tries to only report on truthful info.

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think a lot of people are just jealous of Trunk.. I am not a big fan or anything but he gets paid to do what we do on these forums.. Also gets to rub elbows and become friends with all the rock gods.  Good for him.

My problem is whenever people have that "I know something and you don't" kind of demeanor.  Like, it isn't so much jealousy as it is just appreciating people who are a bit more humble.  I mean yeah I think everyone is jealous he gets to hang out with all those guys but that isn't the source of why he rubs me the wrong way sometimes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downzy said:

And that's all fine and good if we want to play semantics, but I still feel his loyalties reside too heavily with the artists and not with the fans.  If he's going to conduct interviews, why not actually ask some tough questions and produce some tangible information for fans rather than his usual infomercial quality line of questioning.  

because then he wouldn't get those interviews and that information.

5 minutes ago, downzy said:

You mean the information we heard after the fact?

Yes. If he asked tough questions he wouldn't have the gig he has now and he wouldn't be privy to any of it. Its like complaining about Del James not asking Axl tough questions in an interview. If people like that asked tough questions they'd never get the kinds of gigs that allow you to ask rock stars and rock bands questions at all.

1 hour ago, Mr. Dude said:

Yes. If he asked tough questions he wouldn't have the gig he has now and he wouldn't be privy to any of it. Its like complaining about Del James not asking Axl tough questions in an interview. If people like that asked tough questions they'd never get the kinds of gigs that allow you to ask rock stars and rock bands questions at all.

Del did ask tough questions (or at least tougher than Trunk), and he's one of Axl's closest friends.  Fans got far better insights into Axl at that time than anything Trunk has offered. And that's my problem with Trunk.  He's leveraging his rock press credentials as means to become friends with these guys rather than do his job.  

There are many extremely successful rock journalists/DJs who don't pander.  It isn't a pre-requiste for the job.  

I'm not saying he has to be an asshole, but the whole "I know stuff that you don't know" he lobs out there as a means to both promote himself and ingratiate himself with musicians isn't to my tastes.  If Axl invites him backstage and tells him noteworthy stuff, that's fine.  But then he should do everyone a favour and keep his mouth shut until he can mention what he knows.  

To each their own, but not a fan with how Trunk carries himself professionally.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, downzy said:

Del did ask tough questions (or at least tougher than Trunk), and he's one of Axl's closest friends.  Fans got far better insights into Axl at that time than anything Trunk has offered. And that's my problem with Trunk.  He's leveraging his rock press credentials as means to become friends with these guys rather than do his job.  

There are many extremely successful rock journalists/DJs who don't pander.  It isn't a pre-requiste for the job.  

I'm not saying he has to be an asshole, but the whole "I know stuff that you don't know" he lobs out there as a means to both promote himself and ingratiate himself with musicians isn't to my tastes.  If Axl invites him backstage and tells him noteworthy stuff, that's fine.  But then he should do everyone a favour and keep his mouth shut until he can mention what he knows.  

To each their own, but not a fan with how Trunk carries himself professionally.  

Don't get me wrong-I feel ya...I just think that's the nature of the beast and I WAY disagree with your contenton that there are "many" successful rock journalists/DJ's who don't pander- especially these days. In fact, I can't think of one. It's like the Tom Petty song and I think we're way past the time of the Last DJ who says what he wants to say and plays what he wants to play.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Dude said:

Don't get me wrong-I feel ya...I just think that's the nature of the beast and I WAY disagree with your contenton that there are "many" successful rock journalists/DJ's who don't pander- especially these days. In fact, I can't think of one. It's like the Tom Petty song and I think we're way past the time of the Last DJ who says what he wants to say and plays what he wants to play.

Randall Roberts didn't pander in his interview with Axl for the LA Times in 2011.

Neil Strauss certainly doesn't pander when he interviews rock and pop stars (his book "Everybody Loves You When You're Dead" is certainly proof of that).

Howard Stern gets insights into almost anyone he interviews.

Most interviews I read in The Guardian and Rolling Stone make an attempt to get tangible and worthwhile information from their subjects.  

What has anyone learned from Trunk interviewing Axl?  

3 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

is Eddie Trunk the same as Eddie Money? 

lol.. i don't think so, no.

I am not a huge Eddie Trunk fan, but I get that he doesn't want to piss off Axl and get shut out.    However, if he is told something off the record and is supposed to keep it to himself out of respect for Axl or whoever the case may be, he should just not say anything at all instead of "I know something but I can't tell you".

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Randall Roberts didn't pander in his interview with Axl for the LA Times in 2011.

Neil Strauss certainly doesn't pander when he interviews rock and pop stars (his book "Everybody Loves You When You're Dead" is certainly proof of that).

Howard Stern gets insights into almost anyone he interviews.

Most interviews I read in The Guardian and Rolling Stone make an attempt to get tangible and worthwhile information from their subjects.  

What has anyone learned from Trunk interviewing Axl?  

I completely disagree with the validity of every one of those examples- particularly in regards to the Guardian and Rolling Stone, but again don't get me wrong- I'm not arguing in favor of Trunk. Unfortunately, I do think that "pandering" is a perquisite for any prominent rock journalist and/or dj in the present time.

5 hours ago, downzy said:

Axl's history with the media, and Eddie not wanting to piss him off?  

I'd want to see Neil Strauss & Howard Stern interview him. 

4 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

Axl's history with the media, and Eddie not wanting to piss him off?  

I'd want to see Neil Strauss & Howard Stern interview him. 

But it's possible to ask Axl questions, or follow up questions, that would allow for a substantive interview.  I thought Robert's interview of Axl in 2011 for the LA Times was great, particularly his question about whether Axl views himself responsible in any way for how things turned out with his former (now current) bandmates.  

I'm not saying that Trunk can't be agreeable or likeable, but his past interviews of Axl make me less excited about the prospect of him interviewing Axl again.  Do you honestly think Trunk will Axl why the GNR reunion and why now?  Do you think he'd ask proper follow up questions when Axl gives his usual vague response?  Because if not, what's the point?  

And yeah, having Strauss or Stern interviewing Axl would be great.  Strauss does a bit what Trunk does, but almost always delivers in getting insight into his subject because he's so likeable.  

• Like 1