AXL earnings

10 hours ago, ksks12 said:

So if movie uses a song, let's say don't cry, even though Izzy and Axl wrote it, royalties get to Axl, Slash and Duff?

Royalties would go to those who are credited in the publishing company for the song. Royalties for the song's writers are different than licensing fees or control of the catalogue. In other words, the person who wrote or played on the song is not necessarily the one who controls the song. 

Example that makes it a little easier to follow: let's say that someone wants to use SCOM in a TV commercial. 

- Axl, Duff and Slash get to make the call on whether they want to green light that and AFAIK get the licensing fee. I remember reading somewhere that this was a point of contention in the 1990s because Axl would say no about licensing the songs to some films.

- Axl, Duff, Slash, Izzy and Steven all get royalties on it because they all are credited as the writers. I remember reading the breakdown somewhere, it's like 25% Axl, 20% each for Izzy, Slash and Duff and 15% for Steven.

Edited by stella

20 minutes ago, stella said:

Royalties would go to those who are credited in the publishing company for the song. Royalties for the song's writers are different than licensing fees or control of the catalogue. In other words, the person who wrote or played on the song is not necessarily the one who controls the song. 

Example that makes it a little easier to follow: let's say that someone wants to use SCOM in a TV commercial. 

- Axl, Duff and Slash get to make the call on whether they want to green light that and AFAIK get the licensing fee. I remember reading somewhere that this was a point of contention in the 1990s because Axl would say no about licensing the songs to some films.

- Axl, Duff, Slash, Izzy and Steven all get royalties on it because they all are credited as the writers. I remember reading the breakdown somewhere, it's like 25% Axl, 20% each for Izzy, Slash and Duff and 15% for Steven.

Tnx

I find this topic fascinating because there is really no way to know. At all.

When I am more awake I would like to join in on the speculation.

As an aside: per a billboard article from earlier this year, GN'R has sold 44.5 albums total in the U.S. alone.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6843087/guns-n-roses-reunion-stadium-tour-per-show-payday

this is up 2-2.5 Million from a billboard article in 2010 (I didn't save the link, darn it).

Interesting thread. People are really underestimating Duff in my opinion. Like others have mentioned, he was an early investor in Microsoft, Amazon, and Starbucks right? I'm curious about Slash's divorce with Perla, is that finalized? Did he have to really pay her 50% of his earnings from during their marriage because they didn't have a pre-nup? No wonder if wanted to tour with Axl again. :shrugs:

2 hours ago, born2boogie said:

I'm curious about Slash's divorce with Perla, is that finalized? Did he have to really pay her 50% of his earnings from during their marriage because they didn't have a pre-nup? No wonder if wanted to tour with Axl again. :shrugs:

I don't know about Slash and Perla in particular, but California is a community property state, yes. If there's no prenup and the marriage isn't annulled, the spouses split the money and assets earned during the marriage 50-50.

On 14/04/2016 at 8:13 PM, donny said:

the net worth of original 5 are=

steve adler $15 million

duff mckegan $20 million

izzy stradlin $28 million

slash $32 million

axl rose $150 million

so the question is how does axl earn his money ? it cant all be from the music industry surely. does he run businesses or deal in shares during his spare time ?

Those numbers are complete rot; the truth is that nobody knows how much anyone else is worth, so it is all just a wild guess.