Why are the standing areas so small?

Noticed this when buying tickets for Vegas - the standing pits are SO small. I assumed that the tickets with seat numbers on the floor would be due to some sort of safety issue (clutching at straws), but I've looked at the US stadiums and it's the same everywhere.

Anyone have an idea as to why this is?

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's because most of the fans are older and prefer having an assigned seat so that they don't have to line up eight hours in advance and hope to stand somewhere remotely close to the stage for eight hours. Just a guess. I'm certain the people with seats still stand and rock during the show though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Cuz it's all a bunch of middle aged colostomy bags paying to see it and they can't stand too long or afford to take a knock in case they start to drip :D

Are you speaking for yourself Len? :lol:

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We are all knackered - our demographic. We are getting old. All I want to do at a gig these days is put my feet up and have a nice cup of tea.

So if I see someone sitting at a gnr gig relaxing and sipping tea while everyone else is standing and singing along, I'll assume I've met you.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We are all knackered - our demographic. We are getting old. All I want to do at a gig these days is put my feet up and have a nice cup of tea.

Bring a fuckin' flask of tea and a packet of Hobnobs to the gig, nice one :lol:  Pulling faces everytime someone bumps into you and it slops out of the cup.  They wasted their time in the 60s sitting cross legged at Grateful Dead and Neil Young gigs.

3 minutes ago, liers said:

So if I see someone sitting at a gnr gig relaxing and sipping tea while everyone else is standing and singing along, I'll assume I've met you.

The fact that 'standing and singing along' is the highest estate of havin' it at a gig that you could come up with, illustrates the point admirably! :lol:

19 minutes ago, madison said:

I'm guessing it's because most of the fans are older and prefer having an assigned seat so that they don't have to line up eight hours in advance and hope to stand somewhere remotely close to the stage for eight hours. Just a guess. I'm certain the people with seats still stand and rock during the show though. 

Granted, and the tickets I got were in the lower stands seated. My first ever 'seated' guns shows but standing the entire time. That said, I just can't fathom why it's mainly seated. Seen Guns and Slash (solo) numerous times and never seen anywhere near as many seats. Same for pretty much every show I've been too. Just think it's a shame because the music is so up-beat.

I've actually never of free will stood in my life, I'm so unbelievably lazy. 16 years old, 20 years old, I would always find a seat. I cannot stand for anything.And it says 'Guns N' Roses on the ticket so I do not see why I should be expected to sing! This is Axl's job. This would be like hiring a plumber only to mend the kitchen sink myself while the plumber watches on!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Corporate shit.

Unfortunately, this.

They had seats in the early 2000s then went to GA in 2006 and it's been like that ever since up until 2014.

The only reason they're changing it now is to sell more VIP-style packages in different sections. Also probably easier to sell out the floor with seats than with GA when it takes more to sell.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Black Sabbath said:

Unfortunately, this.

They had seats in the early 2000s then went to GA in 2006 and it's been like that ever since up until 2014.

The only reason they're changing it now is to sell more VIP-style packages in different sections. Also probably easier to sell out the floor with seats than with GA when it takes more to sell.

As opposed to the reality of the hardcore alternative GnR that you remember yeah? :lol:

15 minutes ago, liers said:

13 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Bring a fuckin' flask of tea and a packet of Hobnobs to the gig, nice one :lol:  Pulling faces everytime someone bumps into you and it slops out of the cup.  They wasted their time in the 60s sitting cross legged at Grateful Dead and Neil Young gigs.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've actually never of free will stood in my life, I'm so unbelievably lazy. 16 years old, 20 years old, I would always find a seat. I cannot stand for anything.And it says 'Guns N' Roses on the ticket so I do not see why I should be expected to sing! This is Axl's job. This would be like hiring a plumber only to mend the kitchen sink myself while the plumber watches on!

OMG. :lol:

You guys made me laugh out loud.

Well done! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Noticed this when buying tickets for Vegas - the standing pits are SO small. I assumed that the tickets with seat numbers on the floor would be due to some sort of safety issue (clutching at straws), but I've looked at the US stadiums and it's the same everywhere.

Anyone have an idea as to why this is?

I don't know but I'm happy because I'm sitting second row at my show which means I'll be closer to the stage lol

More VIP packages, more fans who might not want to be in a pit due to personal preference, age or disability reasons, more liability/readiness to sue if someone gets injured. IMHO it's always good when there's a mix of GA and seated areas. I won't go near the pit, myself.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

Standing room only in a stadium is a nightmare. I'd rather drink and grill in the parking lot all day, then make my way to my row 1 seat on the field (I like to keep mentioning that) when I'm ready to go in. Beats the hell out of standing in line for 6 hours, doing a 100 yard dash to try to get a decent spot, then holding my piss for another 8 hours.

You're not paying to have a place to sit down. You're paying for 3 foot spot that you don't have to fight for.

Edited by JimMorrison4
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JimMorrison4 said:

Standing room only in a stadium is a nightmare. I'd rather drink and grill in the parking lot all day, then make my way to my row 1 seat on the field (I like to keep mentioning that) when I'm ready to go in. Beats the hell out of standing in line for 6 hours, doing a 100 yard dash to try to get a decent spot, then holding my piss for another 8 hours.

You're not paying to have a place to sit down. You're paying for 3 foot spot that you don't have to fight for.

Yeah. But the reality of getting a row one seat without having to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars really is slim to nonexistant. That's why GA is the way to go. The one who wants it more gets it, not the one with the biggest wallet/best connections.

• Like 1

There are pros and cons to both. Yes, with GA standing, those who are willing and able to spend the longest period of time waiting -- and can weather the physical stress of being up at the barriers -- get the best spots. Reserved seating is far more accessible to those who cannot wait that way for reasons that may be out of their control (such as being disabled or not being able to stand for hours), but yes, it's true that it often means that the best locations go to the ones with the deepest pockets.

The real con to GA standing IMHO is that it really can get out of control, and the longer the audience is there, the more tired and agitated they can get. When I went to one of the Hammerstein shows, there were two opening acts and the crowd was in the pit for a very long time. They were pulling people out with injuries before GnR even went on because people were getting rougher as the night went on.

Incidentally, the Hammerstein had GA on all three levels -- two of which were seated and one that was a piy -- so someone could have shown up very early and gotten a great seat in the front row of the mezzanine or balcony. Best of both worlds, there --- show up early and get a good place to see the show, but a choice to stand or sit while waiting.

Edited by stella