Why are the standing areas so small?

23 minutes ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

Because americans are fat lazy cunts. European gnr fans will be the same age and i guarantee it will be mostly standing. Just like a gnr gig should be. 

True, I have never been to a big show in the USA, but been to loads in Europe. Never seen this. It is always standing on the field, as it should be. I would rather stand 20m further from stage, than sit closer. But well.. nothing to do about this. 
Is there still pre parties at the parking lots? Is that a common thing? 

I will fly in from Norway for a few of these shows, so I'm curious to where it would be best to spend the hours before the show... In a bar, where they have beer? Or in the parking lot bringing beer? 
Do they sell beer and food there, or do you need to bring your own? I heard that the alcohol politics in Pennsylvania is pretty hard, so is that even allowed? Or do the police just ignore it when it comes to events like this?

7 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

If Europe is not GA by and large then fuck it all!

i can't imagine seats all over the pitch at Wembley Stadium! :-/

Second this. Im planning on making a trip to London from Dublin for this as i dont foresee an Irish show until 2017 but i wont be coming over to sit and tap my thigh for 2 hours! 

• Like 1

I can't imagine Europe will be like this. I hope not. It seems so odd and awkward. I never choose seats, unless it's like Tori Amos or other music you don't really move to, other than tapping your thigh :lol: Even if you stand up and dance in front of your seat, it seems silly to me. So standing for me, please, even if I'm old enough to have been a fan for 25 years.

19 minutes ago, view said:

Is seating on the floor normal at stadium rock shows in the US? What did AC/DC or similar stadium shows do? Seems unusual, can´t imagine it was like this in early 90s. 

The ones I have been to have been half and half. Some standing, some not The first stadium show I went to was in 1990 and had seats throughout. I can't ever remember attending a show at Madison Square Garden that had a pit.

I don't think it's necessary to disparage those who choose seats. Not everyone wants to spend the show crushed in like a sardine and standing for hours, and frankly, many people can't do that and it has nothing to do with laziness. There are different ways of enjoying the same show. If you can stand for a long time, great. If you're big and strong enough to handle 10,000 people pushing around you, awesome. Not everyone is up for that.

Not to mention that the USA is a very litigious society -- someone gets hurt in a GA standing situation, and whether it's the venue's fault or not, there's a strong chance that they're going to sue. A lot of places perhaps want to avoid that.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzyslash said:

True, I have never been to a big show in the USA, but been to loads in Europe. Never seen this. It is always standing on the field, as it should be. I would rather stand 20m further from stage, than sit closer. But well.. nothing to do about this. 

I will fly in from Norway for a few of these shows, so I'm curious to where it would be best to spend the hours before the show... In a bar, where they have beer? Or in the parking lot bringing beer? 
Do they sell beer and food there, or do you need to bring your own? I heard that the alcohol politics in Pennsylvania is pretty hard, so is that even allowed? Or do the police just ignore it when it comes to events like this?

In Italy we spend most of the time queing :P

it's quite funny.. meeting fans, chatting, sharing foods drinks and cigarettes..

2 hours ago, stella said:

The ones I have been to have been half and half. Some standing, some not The first stadium show I went to was in 1990 and had seats throughout. I can't ever remember attending a show at Madison Square Garden that had a pit.

I don't think it's necessary to disparage those who choose seats. Not everyone wants to spend the show crushed in like a sardine and standing for hours, and frankly, many people can't do that and it has nothing to do with laziness. There are different ways of enjoying the same show. If you can stand for a long time, great. If you're big and strong enough to handle 10,000 people pushing around you, awesome. Not everyone is up for that.

Not to mention that the USA is a very litigious society -- someone gets hurt in a GA standing situation, and whether it's the venue's fault or not, there's a strong chance that they're going to sue. A lot of places perhaps want to avoid that.

Not sure why you feel offended here, no one is belittling you… I am in a seat myself next GNR show, just wondering about this as we never see it in Europe, that is all.

3 hours ago, Izzyslash said:

I will be at the show in Philly, partying in the parking lot/tailgating will start as soon as the parking lots open. They pretty much let you do whatever you want in the parking lot as long as your not fighting, throwing bottles etc. I believe the alcohol politics  you are talking about is the PA liquor laws where beer distributors only sell beer and State Liquor stores sell hard liquor/wine, pretty stupid law but it will not effect the tailgating before the show. 

The lack of GA tickets is my main reason for not attending any of these shows.  I've weighed the pros and cons and I would have to drive 8 hours for my closest show.  It's just not cost effective especially if I can't stand and move around.

5 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. But the reality of getting a row one seat without having to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars really is slim to nonexistant. That's why GA is the way to go. The one who wants it more gets it, not the one with the biggest wallet/best connections.

It also takes alot of luck :)

I've seen GNR 5 times since 2002. 3 times I was on the floor and managed to run up to the front row (02 in Pittsburgh, 06 in Huntington, WV, and 2012 in Wilkes-Barre, PA). Each time was very cool and part of my favorite concert experiences. I still prefer having a designated spot on the floor. Again, it's not to sit. It's so I don't have to dedicate my entire day to standing in line and still run the risk of getting shitty spot. I've been to, probably, 300 concerts in the past 5 years. Based on experience, in stadiums, seats tend to work out better.

I see your point, though. If I didn't get lucky as shit when I bought my tickets, I'd rather have a big pit too.

3 hours ago, stella said:

I've always preferred seats. Even when I was younger I preferred seats. I've always hated standing for anything, least of all two-three hours at a rock show. Whenever I have been standing too long, I tend to do that penguin like motion, interchanging the pressure between my left foot and right. I also hate to be among a load of sweaty rock people without any obvious exit point, not being able to leave for the toilet or a beer. 

If you look at the great shows from the late '60s and early '70s, Woodstock, Monterey, The Stones during this period, Hendrix at the Royal Albert Hall, the crowd sit down and quietly listen and contemplate the wonderful music being played. A heavy round of applause suffices to show your enthusiasm. It is the stupid metal rubbish which made crowds feel they had to stand up and act like idiots.

It amazes me in these endless "seats on the floor" threads that people still think that a seat means people actually sit during the concert. Come on - people in the damn stands don't sit for the headliner. The seat is just a reserved spot. That's all it is, and I'm with the side that agrees that that it's nice to know I don't have to queue eight hours early to get my fifth row spot. There's pros and cons to both, but it certainly wouldn't affect my decision to go one way or the other.

"Oh no, there's no GA and I can only pull up a second row centre ticket with a seat? Guess I'm not going then."

So while you're not at the show, I'll be there with my pants pulled high and a monocle while sitting down the entire concert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestCoastStrutting said:

I will be at the show in Philly, partying in the parking lot/tailgating will start as soon as the parking lots open. They pretty much let you do whatever you want in the parking lot as long as your not fighting, throwing bottles etc. I believe the alcohol politics  you are talking about is the PA liquor laws where beer distributors only sell beer and State Liquor stores sell hard liquor/wine, pretty stupid law but it will not effect the tailgating before the show. 

Ok, great. Is there any point in attending the parking lot for two Norwegians without a car then? :P 

5 minutes ago, James Bond said:

It amazes me in these endless "seats on the floor" threads that people still think that a seat means people actually sit during the concert. Come on - people in the damn stands don't sit for the headliner. The seat is just a reserved spot. That's all it is, and I'm with the side that agrees that that it's nice to know I don't have to queue eight hours early to get my fifth row spot. There's pros and cons to both, but it certainly wouldn't affect my decision to go one way or the other.

"Oh no, there's no GA and I can only pull up a second row centre ticket with a seat? Guess I'm not going then."

So while you're not at the show, I'll be there with my pants pulled high and a monocle while sitting down the entire concert.

Yeah but you can't mosh at all, you can't go crazy or you'll break your neck. Not that everyone should be in walls of death but look at that video of Welcome to the Jungle video from Troubadour. That's what I'm expecting when I have floor tickets. 

Never did GA and dont think I ever will for many of the reasons noted by the other posters. Waiting all day with the hope of getting a good spot and not being able to leave to take a piss or grab a beer doesn't sound like fun. 

8 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Seats on the floor or in the stands? Seats on the floor is unusual in Europe; I've only seen it happen for Bob Dylan and Neil Young (and boxing of course). I usually get a seat in the permanent seating in the stands and have done so for nearly every show I've attended, Neil Young, Newguns in 2012, Kiss, and at every show everybody remained seated.

Edited by DieselDaisy

7 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Yeah but you can't mosh at all, you can't go crazy or you'll break your neck. Not that everyone should be in walls of death but look at that video of Welcome to the Jungle video from Troubadour. That's what I'm expecting when I have floor tickets. 

And that's what I mean to pros and cons for the situation. If moshing and jumping around is your thing, then yes, I can see why the seated floor would be disappointing. However, I was responding more to those who think seated floor means people on the floor actually sit.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Seats on the floor or in the stands? Seats on the floor is unusual in Europe; I've only seen it happen for Bob Dylan and Neil Young (and boxing of course). I usually get a seat in the permanent seating in the stands and have done so for nearly every show I've attended, Neil Young, Newguns in 2012, Kiss, and at every show everybody remained seated.

Either or. I've been to plenty of shows where people in the permanent seating remained standing the whole time in addition to the floor.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, James Bond said:

And that's what I mean to pros and cons for the situation. If moshing and jumping around is your thing, then yes, I can see why the seated floor would be disappointing. However, I was responding more to those who think seated floor means people on the floor actually sit.

Either or. I've been to plenty of shows where people in the permanent seating remained standing the whole time in addition to the floor.

I think I've only been to one, Ozzy way back in 1995. Every other show, people with seats have sat: Neil Young; Dylan (3 times); Kiss; Nugnr twice; Metallica 1996 (we actually went down to a lower tier of empty seats because we were the only ones who wanted to stand, so as to not obscure the people directly behind's view); Alice Cooper; Maiden, etc.

I hope there'll be seats when they come to Europe, very much so. I ain't paying that money to stand somewhere in the back, seeing nothing at all, I wanna be upfront. And I can't really see myself fighting hundreds of 2 meter tall men and having my insides squeezed out just to get there. Too old for this. Been there at 17 and never succeeded either. So no, thank you. I want an assigned spot for which I payed.

I'm amazed at the reaction here - I thought it would be very partisan towards fully standing. I genuinely have never seen a gig where they had so many seats. Each to their own I guess, but as a 26 year old 6'1" guy I love the standing tickets.

• Like 1