Wish You Were Here - any meaning?

Yes, I'm the resident conspiracy theorist...but I'm wondering did they pick this coincidentally?  Or is there some hidden meaning or message behind it?

Ive been hoping someone else would bring this up as ive been thinking about it all week, but I haven't really seen anything on it so I figured I'd get the discussion going.

Some people believe it's a message to Izzy and Adler.

Others, like myself, believe its nothing more than one of the greatest songs ever written and a perfect fit for a GNR instrumental cover.

Edited by 3rd Wheel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, spliff said:

could be about scott/lemmy 

I don't think it has anything to do with izzy or steven though... maybe if they played shine on you crazy diamond 

This is a good point, although I feel you could apply "Shine On" to Scott/Lemmy just as well.

Layla outro < wywh. But I would prefer Axl joining in with some singing + singing with the Crowd. 

Its just speculation, but maybe they rehearsed the song with the idea: Izzy or steven joining in during the song....Izzy+axl singing, Steven druming in the middle of wywh. That would have been epic.

Edited by maxpax
  • Like 1

Just now, BillyMac said:

I never saw the full setlist for Saturday night to see if they did it again, if it was only opening night then yes I definitely think there was a message involved...

No it was played Saturday as well, same basic spot in the set list....WYWH to Layla jam to November Rain.

I like to think it's for Scott.

To me, it's pretty obvious. Slash and Duff had a band with him. And deep down Axl is a big softie, so of course he too is bummed about another lead singer kicking the bucket.

That's my two cents.

20 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

I like to think it's for Scott.

To me, it's pretty obvious. Slash and Duff had a band with him. And deep down Axl is a big softie, so of course he too is bummed about another lead singer kicking the bucket.

That's my two cents.

I dont think they have enough feelings for Scott to dedicate him a song...

22 minutes ago, mikebones said:

They probably don't. But I like to live in my fantasy land :D

Edited by jekylhyde

1 hour ago, maxpax said:

Layla outro < wywh. But I would prefer Axl joining in with some singing + singing with the Crowd. 

I'd love to hear Axl's take on WYWH too. Imagine what it would sound like with his lower voice......

1 hour ago, mikebones said:

Maybe for Axl.

But Duff and Slash cared enough to attend his funeral, so dedicating a song is not a stretch. They played it a lot with VR, so it's probably taken on the extra meaning of coming from that period in their life, which connects to Scott. Who used to sing it for his brother.

everything that happens in GNR land has been planned way before we even think it could happen. 

even something as trivial as a twitter post has been carefully worded, and reworded, before being posted. "they"ll read between the lines". 

so you can bet your ass that a SONG in a setlist has a major meaning. more so if that song hasnt been played before.

"wish you were here" is put there for a purpose.

what purpose?

they want adler and izzy there? not so fast. for all we know it "could" have a sarcastic meaning, it "could" be Axl making fun of their absence. heck, this whole tour is called "not in this lifetime", so let's all lighten up and take EVERYTHING they say or play with a pinch of salt

Edited by action