Wish You Were Here - any meaning?

When I saw that it was in their setlist I did a double-take and for a moment I thought the band played the full song (which would cool by the way, like when nu-guns played a snippet of You Can't Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones).

I would like to think that it's a nod to Izzy and Steven's absence. I hope it isn't a sarcastic dig at the two of them for whatever reason (Good God, I hope they both appear at some stage on this tour).

I don't think I could handle it if GN'R played something like Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Slash on Catcher In The Rye or Prostitute before that please.

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Meaning - Slash / Duff played it a lot in VR, and it's a nice spot where Richard can solo without it being a lame guitar solo moment.

As for hiddenmeanings, I don't think so.

I think this.

Thinking it has a hidden meaning is akin to thinking Slash plays the theme to the Godfather because he is really the head of a mafia family.  It's just a song they know and like playing.  

If it was a brand new song unique to the reunion, I might be inclined to think that there was meaning behind it. 

9 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Yes, I'm the resident conspiracy theorist...but I'm wondering did they pick this coincidentally?  Or is there some hidden meaning or message behind it?

Ive been hoping someone else would bring this up as ive been thinking about it all week, but I haven't really seen anything on it so I figured I'd get the discussion going.

just a poor song choice

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

yeah man what can i say?

good for you, a lot of people love that song

i just find it boring

Its ok.....you have a right.   Boring I can understand, that sounds more opinion based.  Poor seemed a bit more fact based :)

It's funny, I generally dislike Pink Floyd, but I fancy that tune to some degree!