Axl's voice on November Rain

Something I have thought about the song November Rain: I think it would have been better if Axl had used his softer voice at the beginning, the same voice as in the beginning of Patience and Don't Cry.

I'm a lover of rasp, but can't help feeling that when used on the opening of NR it just sounds too harsh/whiney for a love ballad (especially live.) I would say: let's hear it with the soft voice at the beginning, then at the end "dontcha know you need somebody" he could still rasp it up.

Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, illusionone said:

The 2006 version, at least based on the clips in this thread is the best vocally IMO- note, I only listened to the first verse in each.

All 10 min are better in 06...November Rain sounds great with a lower rasp vocally...it sounds weak and like Axl can't keep up with the verses when he sings it with a higher falsetto vocal. 

19 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

So this is better than 

this? Or equal to vocally according to this thread 

I need to find my nice headphones back. I misplaced them yesterday. My crappy laptop speakers makes it sound like Axl is trying to sing through frozen/paralyzed vocal chords in the second video. It has no dynamic and is weird. Axl always has a dynamic voice even in those UYI shows when it sounded like he painfully gargling with broken glass.

With crappy laptop speakers and no earbuds or headphones handy to listen to it better I would say the first video, Vegas is better. If I listen to it again with better hardware I may have a different opinion.

3 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

I need to find my nice headphones back. I misplaced them yesterday. My crappy laptop speakers makes it sound like Axl is trying to sing through frozen/paralyzed vocal chords in the second video. It has no dynamic and is weird. Axl always has a dynamic voice even in those UYI shows when it sounded like he painfully gargling with broken glass.

With crappy laptop speakers and no earbuds or headphones handy to listen to it better I would say the first video, Vegas is better. If I listen to it again with better hardware I may have a different opinion.

Your computer is fine, I think your ears are broken

2 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Your computer is fine, I think your ears are broken

Why does it have to be my ears that are broken? Why can't it be my brain? Maybe my ears hear just fine but the electrical currents in my brain are shorting out? I think my ears are offended about this and want an apology.

10 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Why does it have to be my ears that are broken? Why can't it be my brain? Maybe my ears hear just fine but the electrical currents in my brain are shorting out? I think my ears are offended about this and want an apology.

That's fine. I just disagree with your opinion, but let's leave it here so the thread can stay on topic. I think the ultimate argument is clean or raspy voice for November rain 

On 15/4/2016 at 9:49 PM, Nice Boy said:

Something I have thought about the song November Rain: I think it would have been better if Axl had used his softer voice at the beginning, the same voice as in the beginning of Patience and Don't Cry.

I'm a lover of rasp, but can't help feeling that when used on the opening of NR it just sounds too harsh/whiney for a love ballad (especially live.) I would say: let's hear it with the soft voice at the beginning, then at the end "dontcha know you need somebody" he could still rasp it up.

Thoughts?

No!!! NR is a masterpiece. Its perfect as it is.....

15 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

So this is better than 

this? Or equal to vocally according to this thread 

2006 video has far superior vocals, of course - unfortunately it has a mediocre Fortus solo and an absolutely, utterly godawful Robin Finck solo.

The 2016 video has sub-par vocals for the most part, but it gets intensively better in the outro, plus it has Slash in it, which changes things drastically in its favor.