Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

I wonder if Brian co-wrote any of the songs this time. It didn't sound like he loved writing songs and was happy to give it up, but things are different. 

yeah I hoped that Brian would have returned to write songs, but the insiders say that music is by m.young/a.young and lyrics mainly by a.young. But we'll see sooish, like real soon not axl soon as. Brian just confirmed that he'll be busy with acdc this year, a tour will most likely start this year! Also he said that "stay tuned for music". Amazing news!

• 3 weeks later...

AC/DC new album, probably be called "Man Down"

AC/DC's new effort was laid down over a series of recording sessions with producer Brendan O'Brien in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. "It was brilliant over there," Johnson said.

"We're done. I'm very excited and we've got some great songs.

"I wanted to call the album 'Man Down'. But it's a bit negative and it was probably just straight from the heart. I like that."

AC/DC in April confirmed widespread reports that Malcolm Young was stepping down due to an undisclosed illness, with some outlets reporting that he suffered a stroke. The group has since enlisted Stevie Young, the nephew of guitarists Angus and Malcolm Young, to take Malcolm's place in the band for the recording sessions for their 16th studio album. Stevie Young played with AC/DC once before during a 1988 tour, while Malcolm stepped out to deal with his dependency on alcohol.

"We miss Malcolm, obviously," Johnson told TeamRock Radio. "He's a fighter. He's in hospital, but he's a fighter. We've got our fingers crossed that he'll get strong again.

"Stevie, Malcolm's nephew, was magnificent, but when you're recording with this thing hanging over you and your work mate isn't well, it's difficult. But I'm sure he was rooting for us. He's such a strong man. He's a small guy, but he's very strong. He's proud and he's very private, so we can't say too much. But fingers crossed, he'll be back."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/acdc-completes-work-on-new-album-considers-man-down-as-possible-title/#h0XMJpm2pd7DlDIF.99

• Like 1

Rehearsals in October, The Farewell tour. :max:

Says who?

Brian himself.

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2014-07-09/brian-johnson-gets-honorary-degree/

Damn... thanks for that! AC/DC is a band where if they pack it up, I believe they pack it up. So I'll be sad to see them retire but they've had an amazing career.

And how cool is Brian? He seems like a great guy

Honestly, I figured the last tour might have been the farewell one, and news of Malcolm's condition didn't help things. Black Ice was a good album but to be honest I haven't played it that often (same for Stiff Upper Lip), the concerts of those tours were great but if you've seen them once, you've seen it; couple of new songs and the same greatest hits. With Razor's Edge I felt the band peaked performance-wise, then it suddenly took 5 years to do an album, then 8 years... These guys have been on semi-retirement for a while now, might be best to end it with a farewell tour.

Honestly, I figured the last tour might have been the farewell one, and news of Malcolm's condition didn't help things. Black Ice was a good album but to be honest I haven't played it that often (same for Stiff Upper Lip), the concerts of those tours were great but if you've seen them once, you've seen it; couple of new songs and the same greatest hits. With Razor's Edge I felt the band peaked performance-wise, then it suddenly took 5 years to do an album, then 8 years... These guys have been on semi-retirement for a while now, might be best to end it with a farewell tour.

Yeah, I am fortunate enough to have seen them on the Black Ice tour. It was spectacular and they defininetly performed great, so its good for them to go out on a high right now

Yeah, I am fortunate enough to have seen them on the Black Ice tour. It was spectacular and they defininetly performed great, so its good for them to go out on a high right now

Me too! In Belgium they were set to play on a sunday and a monday, I first had obtained tickets for monday via a friend, this was after they sold out superfast online. He then told me had to switch with his supplier and get tickets for sunday instead; So we ended up going on sunday, great concert! Then the next day I heard on the radio the second concert got cancelled due to Phil Rudd not feeling too well. Phew! :tongue2:

Me too! In Belgium they were set to play on a sunday and a monday, I first had obtained tickets for monday via a friend, this was after they sold out superfast online. He then told me had to switch with his supplier and get tickets for sunday instead; So we ended up going on sunday, great concert! Then the next day I heard on the radio the second concert got cancelled due to Phil Rudd not feeling too well. Phew! :tongue2:

Wow! That was a close one!

• 5 weeks later...

Band worked on over 20 songs but the final album is expected to be 14 tracks.

sweet article from Classic Rock

Acdc's worldwide army of fans could yet persuade the band to name the eagerly anticipated album Man Down despite initial reservations from within the camp.

In cr198 we revealed exclusively that work on the follow up to 2008's black ice was complete.

Front man Brian Johnson went on to tell CR online that he favoured the title Man Down for the new studio album, as a tribute to founder member Malcolm Young who was hospitalised with a serious illness during its recording.

"it came from the heart" said the 66 year old. "that's just the way I am". Some of the guys thought it might be a bit negative. But I like that title".

It seems Johnson is not alone. Websites and message boards were inundated with positive comments backing the idea, and the working title is back in contention. Mixing now complete, and a late 2014/early 2015 release on the cards.

Acdc entered The Warehouse, the studio facility owned by Bryan Adams, in Glastonbury, vancouver in early May to record their first album in six years. In the first week the band were joined by Rick St Pierrepont, designer of the Wizard amps favoured by Malcolm and Angus Young, and Ken Schaffer who introduced the band to the wireless Vegas Diversity System back in the 70s.

Producer Brendan o brien, who worked on Black Ice and most recently Pearl Jam 's Lightning Bolt, was the last piece of the jigsaw, and recording was well under way by mid May.

"we've got some really great songs, " added Johnson." I'm very excited with what we've done." The band worked on more than 20 songs, with the final cut expected to be 14.

With Angus Young wife Ellen providing the in house catering and the band's infamous work ethic kicking in, it came as no surprise that the recording was complete by the end of June. Johnson had wrapped up his vocals in time to visit fellow Geordies Sting and Jimmy Nail in Chicago on July 2,before flying to France on July 5 to compete in the Le Mans Classic endurance sports car race.

"The guys were right at home back in Studio Two at the Warehouse," added a close source. "They love the Neve analog console in there. It's perfect for their sound. They didn't hang around."

Malcolm's illness (rumours persist that he suffered a stroke, but Johnson was unwilling to elaborate) may well be behind a desire to get things moving within the acdc organisation. The 61 year old rhythm guitarist's sudden illness has clearly shocked his fellow members and brought the band's immediate future into sharp focus. For example, shaken by her brother in law's situation, it seems Ellen is increasingly desperate for Angus to finally quit smoking.

"We missed Malcolm, obviously" added Johnson. "And of course we did a lot of thinking when we making the new record. But he's a fighter. He's been in hospital but he's always in our thoughts."

Stevie (Young, Malcolm's nephew) was magnificent in his stead, but when you're recording with this thing hanging over you and your work mate isn't well it's difficult. I'm sure he was rooting for us the whole time we were over in Canada. He's such a strong man- a small guy but he's very strong. He's proud and very private, so we can't say too much more. But fingers crossed."

Even at this stage it seems unlikely that Malcolm will be in a position to tour full time in 2015 when acdc intend to celebrate their 40th anniversary in style. Stevie has filled in for his uncle before and looks set to take the same role again.

"We'd talked about the idea of 40 shows to mark each of the band's 40 years" says Johnson. "But the demand is too great. I think we'll be looking at a lot more. People all over the world want to see acdc."

As CR went to press, the band were due to start rehearsals, and Johnson hinted that dates could commerce before the end of the year. "As far a s the UK is concerned we're looking at Wembley stadium and Hampden Park," he added. "That's where we played last time, so it makes sense."

Johnson always intended to be done and dusted with the new album by July in order to attend Le Mans, and also to pick up his honorary doctorate in music from Northumbria University in Newcastle. The home town hero celebrated his degree big day by splashing out on 3 new number plates for his fleet of vintage cars, explaining: "When I got back I made a really big deal out of the Northumbria honour. In a not so subtle way, I added the number plates ROC DOC1,ROC DOC2 and ROC DOC3 to three of my cars. That's how proud I am that my home town recognised my work".

• 4 weeks later...

BULLSHIT

Also, the whole album was written by Angus.

I mean it could be an old song but brian screamed man down throughout each chorus

Im reallt curious about this, the song kicked ass whatever it was. Im sure it was new, but why would a station play it before release?

Yeah, I'm calling BS as well. There's just no way in this day and age a radio station could "accidentally" play a new single before it's release date (Or before anyone even knows there will be a single in the near future, for that matter), and not have it be all over the internet. Plus, wouldn't the DJ have said something about it being the new AC/DC song before/after?

Are you sure it wasn't another band you mistook for AC/DC? There's a handful of singers out there that sound like Brian...