What the hell is up with song temps?

I get what you guys are saying about matching up with the video screens, but explain how Slash can start Sweet Child without being given any hi-hat taps and it just SOMEHOW matches up with whatever click Frank is listening to. Same can go for Jungle, or any song that they start with guitar really. Paradise City. It really doesn't make any sense.

Not to mention how much improvising they do during Rocket Queen.

And during that slow part in Coma, Axl just waits for Slash to cue him in for the "No one's gonna bother me anymore, etc." If Slash is just making that part as long as he wants, there is absolutely no way there's a click track being used.

as if it's just Frank suddenly messing up after ten years of playing in GNR with no problems, surely if it was purely his fault the band would have mentioned it after the first night... ahaha. Nah, it's all to a click track and they're playing at the tempo they want, i guess Duff and Slash want some stuff faster? Saying that i really likec franks previous Brownstone drumming style, really funky and groovier!

oh yes... Civil war too. Axl starts last verse way to early.

something obviously is wrong  with the sync of the band.

they had hundreds of hours of rehersals before going on stage and they all know every milisecond of every song by heart.

maybe they are just too different of musicians in style..

I called for Sorum/Izzy/Gilby line up so many times that ai won't repeat it.

But I will say this, Slash seemed a lot more relaxed and had a lot more stage interaction with Izzy and Gilby than he has with Fortus.

It seems that Fortus is just not his cup of tea and he would replace him rather today than tmw.

3 hours ago, Tyler Drama said:

I get what you guys are saying about matching up with the video screens, but explain how Slash can start Sweet Child without being given any hi-hat taps and it just SOMEHOW matches up with whatever click Frank is listening to. Same can go for Jungle, or any song that they start with guitar really. Paradise City. It really doesn't make any sense.

The click can run in anyone's ear monitors. So when the next song is up, SCOM for example, they can just run the click in both Frank and Slash's ears. I have a bootleg of Pink Floyd rehearsing The Wall for that tour and it's got all the in ear monitors mixed in. When they go to start songs like Mother and Young Lust, you can hear the click running in Waters' or Gilmour's ear monitor.

• Like 1

The fact that you have video and lights doesn't mean its all in sync with the click. The pyros are fired manually and if you notice the screens they are just a loop which means they can enter and exit at any point. My conclusion is that either he doesn't have a click at all or he has a click and they are speeding it up.

BTW, they ARE NOT playing the songs faster to get more songs in, it doesn't work that way.

• Like 1

As great of an experience it is seeing Axl, Slash and Duff back together the band is anything but tight. The songs are too fast.... The drummer is terrible and Slash and Fortus are both lead guitar players.. Some people say they are a force but I don't think they mesh together well at all. What we have here is better than NuGuns but they have yet been able to capture the magic and swagger of any lineup 86-93... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

As great of an experience it is seeing Axl, Slash and Duff back together the band is anything but tight. The songs are too fast.... The drummer is terrible and Slash and Fortus are both lead guitar players.. Some people say they are a force but I don't think they mesh together well at all. What we have here is better than NuGuns but they have yet been able to capture the magic and swagger of any lineup 86-93... 

I agree with you on everything here...except you'll never be able to recapture that.   Twenty years have passed.  That was a magical time for so many reasons, but it will never be duplicated simply due to the passing of time.  Could things be better in certain ways...yes.   Will it be 1991 all over again?  No

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I agree with you on everything here...except you'll never be able to recapture that.   Twenty years have passed.  That was a magical time for so many reasons, but it will never be duplicated simply due to the passing of time.  Could things be better in certain ways...yes.   Will it be 1991 all over again?  No

Definitely not but man... Slash's band, VR and the Hall Of fame lineup all sound better than this musically. With Axl sounding better than he has in awhile this should sound a lot better than it does.

Guys, Slash and his band record to tape. Not that pro tools shit GNR does. Slash and the Conspriators had to be tight as fuck with no mistakes. This helped them become a very tight band. This also requires good timing. Slash has been a pro for 30 years. I don't think his ear or timing are the issue. Maybe he couldn't hear himself. 

18 minutes ago, smoking guns said:

Guys, Slash and his band record to tape. Not that pro tools shit GNR does. Slash and the Conspriators had to be tight as fuck with no mistakes. This helped them become a very tight band. This also requires good timing. Slash has been a pro for 30 years. I don't think his ear or timing are the issue. Maybe he couldn't hear himself. 

Yep, there probably was a monitoring problem

7 hours ago, Tyler Drama said:

They have rehearsed for 3-4 months so Slash is capable of starting with predetermined tempo

I was trying to lay low on here for awhile and try not to piss on people's parade.. This is a very special time for a lot of Gn'R fans and to myself to some degree but the replies in this thread just show that this "reunion" isn't as good as it could be.  There are many variables and opinions as to why it is but at the end of the day this band/lineup for whatever reason, doesn't seem to mesh very well.  Once the thrill of seeing Axl/Slash and Duff together wears off the quality of the music just isn't what it should be and that is the most important part of this whole thing.

They are going to sell out and make millions of the excitement of the reunion either way.  I guess it doesn't matter to them or a portion of the fans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smoking guns said:

this is good shit here. 

I hadn't watch that performance in a while. My god, what a world of difference. That performance (instrumentally ) is tighter than any performance from the "reunited" GNR lineup. Even Slash's guitar sounds better. steven's drumming is magic.

Frank and Fortus need to go if they ever want to get close to the magic they once had on stage.

17 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Frank and Fortus need to go if they ever want to get close to the magic they once had on stage.

Agreed but it isn't happening unless they step down on their own. This is still feels more like NuGuns even with Slash.. Axl's band.. He calls the shots.. He didn't seem to care when the band sounded like ass over the last 15 years.. He doesn't care if it does now. Plus they are all raking in the dough.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tyler Drama said:

Russ, I believe he only uses the click for Chinese Democracy songs.

Correct. When nu-guns started playing Cival War I couldn't listen to it because the finale was a sped up clusterfuck. So no it's not this bands decision to speed up the songs. There are times when Frank pace is fine then he loses focus, gets caught up in the moment and sabotages songs. With slash and duff constantly trying to  correct him. Hopefully he gets it together. Rest  assure if we are aware of the tempo issues the band certainly is as well. Or he hmwont be around much longer. Bands change drummers like they change their underwear

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ludurigan said:

this is another evidence of why GNR needs izzy

he would never allow this shit to happen

also it is funny to notice how axl perfeccionism just disappeared. no perfeccionist would ever allow this shit to happen

If Axl was Dave Mustaine Frank would've corrected the nerves/tempo issues after the Troubadour show or you would've seen someone else behind the kit for Coachella. It's shocking to that duff who thinks like a drummer would allow this. Slash as well. Slash always had great drummers and tempo was never an issue in any of his bands.

Sorum, Brain, Fitz or Freese probably 

Edited by Top-Hatted One