What the hell is up with song temps?

6 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Indeed

Now that people pointed all this out, I notice the increased tempo. It doesn't bother me too much but hope they work on it for slower songs. To those saying this band doesn't mesh musically, I strongly disagree but that is totally ok.

To say Slash is on alcohol or smack again, though, because he misses a few notes and isn't as gelled with this band after 4 shows than he is with his own solo band after a couple hundred is pretty terrible

Slash's playing a little sloppy occasionally doesn't bother me much. The guy is a total badass and just seeing his signature pose on stage again with GNR makes up for little mistakes. My main problem is his tone. Where did it go? I can hardly hear him at times. Without his old tone, he is no longer Slash.

2 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Slash's playing little sloppy occasionally doesn't upother me much. The guy is a total  badass and just seeing his signature pose on stage again with GNR makes up for little mistakes. My main problem is his tone. Where did it go? I can hardly hear him at times. Without his old tone, he is no longer Slash.

Idk man, Im picky about tone but was very happy with his tone in Vegas at the show I saw. He was quiet at first but they turned him Up at Junglr

Well I don't think Slash is back on drugs, so stop with that. I probably shouldn't have been so vague, but I didn't want to be too negative or even believe this were the case.

Lets just say we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, or how much crap Slash is dealing with for all this to happen. People are assuming it is Slash and Duff who've made this tempo change, but we don't even know that. 

Thinking they are speeding up songs to fit more songs in a set is the most ridiculous idea. If that is the reason for the speed on some songs the band needs to quit lol

its either an artistic decision or frank getting nervous because the band is not 100% comfortable playing live with each other yet. By the middle of the tour I bet this evens out. 

Edited by bched

8 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Indeed

Now that people pointed all this out, I notice the increased tempo. It doesn't bother me too much but hope they work on it for slower songs. To those saying this band doesn't mesh musically, I strongly disagree but that is totally ok.

To say Slash is on alcohol or smack again, though, because he misses a few notes and isn't as gelled with this band after 4 shows than he is with his own solo band after a couple hundred is pretty terrible

Yea that was not at good take on this issue at all. The person who posted that earlier probably was t serious. I was at that Terminal 5 NYC SLASH show Tom posted. It was only a few months ago and Slash was on point as always. 

Now I know when Slash is so wasted that it affects him on stage. Miraculously enough it rarely after him during the UYI tour. Probably because after 2 1/2 straight years of touring playing becomes like riding a bike. Same with alcoholics who function at work every day.

The one really dark period I remember was the period after Snakepit 2.0 from 2002-2004 and right before VR and 'The Project' became started. 

It it was Camp Freddy in New York 2002. When I was front row in front of Slash where he was visibly fucked up to the point when he actually fell over into us on the front row.

Then they all relapsed around the VR drama with Scott. But starting with the Libertad tour Slash has been more focused and has been played better than ever.

I wasn't a fan of his new amps but I'm glad he went back to te UYI Setup. These shows have the potential to be great when you factor in Axl's ability to belt out songs like he used to in spurts. Of course this means they have to clean up the drum and tempo issues to please the fans spending thousands to see them. Right now it's gravy just hearing Coma and seeing Slash & Axl together but it will wear off. Trust me. Already is on a small scale 

• Like 1

They are playing the songs too fast, it sounds too weird for my ears. The question is.. Why? On the last years GNR songs never sounded as good as The Conspirators playing them exactly because they wouldn't speed up the tempo so much as Axl's band, now they reunite and keep doing the Axl solo versions. That's too bad.

50 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I don't think i will go and see hybrid Guns, i don't want to be disappointed, unless of course things get better, thats if they even play in the UK.:(I'll wait for SMKC...

Axl and Slash are back together again.... Don't miss out sister!

I'd prefer an AFD/UYI touring lineup myself but we have what we have and you just gotta roll with the punches!

Edited by FuriousStyles
Gender equality
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Slash787 said:

I don't blame Frank.

I guess its hard for him to believe and see Slash, Duff and Axl on the same stage together. 

Nobody would be more excited of playing with Slash, Duff, and Axl again then Steven Adler. And I am sure he would play the songs properly despite the excitement. I do blame Frank. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

These shows have the potential to be great when you factor in Axl's ability to belt out songs like he used to in spurts. Of course this means they have to clean up the drum and tempo issues to please the fans spending thousands to see them. Right now it's gravy just hearing Coma and seeing Slash & Axl together but it will wear off. Trust me. Already is on a small scale 

perfectly stated.  

3 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Nobody would be more excited of playing with Slash, Duff, and Axl again then Steven Adler. And I am sure he would play the songs properly despite the excitement. I do blame Frank. 

Frank is primarily to blame. Rocket queen is great because of that steady funky groove. It's not you're crazy which is what they are trying to turn it into tempo wise. 

The end of RQ in Vegas sounds like frank is jamming along with them. It should be a solid funk rock masterpiece not a jam session with frank improvising beats that don't match the nature of the song. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, maynard said:

now they reunite and keep doing the Axl solo versions. That's too bad.

You could kind of see this happening once we saw the final lineup.. Not that Punky Brewster has anything to do with the tempo, once she walked out on stage at the Troubador you could see that this was Axl's band and things weren't going to be that much different that NuGnR... It is a damn shame for people that didn't like NuGnR.

• Like 1

Slash's tone is fine. There are many things to complain about but not his tone. He is back to using his UYI amps and clean boost during solos. 

Ive been critical of his tone in VR & the Conpirators when he was using  different amps and EQ boost. His tone was weaker and his riffs and solos would cut off because of the EQ boost. Just was SCOM at the Hall of Fame. That was my issues in a nutshell. 

Now watch his tone on Coma & Estranged. You hear the same sustained tone in his signature bends. The timing of his solos aren't spot on yet. Just watch the Nov Rain clips but the timing will come as the tour progresseses. Just like it did from 1991 to 1992.

The sudden change of tempo in the middle of songs now is on Frank and his nerves/getting caught up in the moment and fan reaction etc. Also Frank isn't in position to add hi-hats and such to signature gnr backbeats like he does during WTTJ.

I love drums. The groove is the  the first thing that wins me over when I discover new bands but it is different with GN'R. A GNR drummer needs understand his role. There is too much talent and dynamic on stage between Axl and the 2 guitars to be free lancing and overplaying drum fills.

Sorum understood this better than anyone. And while I've always been critical of his straight forward playing in all his projects with Slash & Duff I've really come to appreciate his approach now. Thanks to Frank.

I've come to the realization that it wasn't Matt who was responsible for the lack of dynamic in VR songs and how the rockers on those albums are the same tempo. Just plug in and chug chug chug along. This wasn't Sorum but the fact that Izzy wasn't there to counter Slashes playing. No interplay between the 2 guitars and of course no Axl. You see a lot of the same chugging along on some UYI tracks where Izzy presence was non existent and people blame Sorum's drumming. Slash isn't doing anything different than he was during AFD. When you listen in your headphones Slash is still doing his thing in your right speaker while Izzy is doing something completely different and cool in your left ear to compliment Slash. Dave Kusher has that dynamic with Slash at times albeit with a modern twist. 

That is one of Major gripes with some of the Conspirator songs as well. Slash seems content being the only guitar player in studio. Again this started when they were recording UYI. For a clear illustration of what I mean just listen to Slash's song 'Ghost' which Izzy played on and helped write way back when he was involved in the 'The Project' days. The coolness that we hadn't seen since GNR is there and Slash admitted it himself how something special happens when him and Izzy play off each other in studio

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I don't blame Frank.

I guess its hard for him to believe and see Slash, Duff and Axl on the same stage together. 

I felt Frank screwed up Jungle at Troubadour because the crowd went nuts and how Axl sounded amazing really distracted him. He got caught up in the moment I think. He never witnessed that reaction from the crowd playing with the other guys that made up nu-guns

3 minutes ago, DIST said:

I fucking love Matts solid drumming and chemistry with Slash and Duff.

I can't stand Franks jamming in the middle of songs..fuckin doesn't sound like GNR.

True, Matt has gotten much better and his style now has changed for the better. 

He should have been there instead of Frank. 

Brent Snape Fitz does an amazing job on the drums too. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Yea it's different when you actually created the songs vs trying to play parts parts you didn't help create. Only the original musician can re-created the feeling and experience they lived through. It's the same thing that happens in Megadeth when Guitar virtuosos try to capture Marty Friedman's feel but never quite can. They hit all the notes but lack the feel. 

Being forever connected to your own work like that has to be one of the coolest aspects of being a musician. No one can re-capture you feel and what was flowing through your body when you created those signature parts. The experience is yours and yours til eternity. 

This really makes you appreciate Sorum even if at times he did slow the tempo down on rockers like Nightrain and didn't quite play songs like Brownstone with Adler's groove. He ultimately did a fine job because it was a seemed transition after th first Rock in Rio 2 show. And tempo was never an issue for gnr. Tempo was flawless with Matt as a matter of fact. When Neil Peart says he admires you for playing with the most precise tempo he's wee seen you know you're special

39 minutes ago, bched said:

Frank is primarily to blame. Rocket queen is great because of that steady funky groove. It's not you're crazy which is what they are trying to turn it into tempo wise. 

The end of RQ in Vegas sounds like frank is jamming along with them. It should be a solid funk rock masterpiece not a jam session with frank improvising beats that don't match the nature of the song. 

Exactly! You can't mess with the Rocket Queen's signature groove. It makes the song. Can't over play its me play it fast and straightforward. When you do you are no longer playing Rocket Queen or gnr. I expect this kind of stuff from top 40 cover bands playing gnr, house band at open mic night or at high school battle of the bands 

No well on topic and not saying who is a better drummer

I don't see that much change in the tempo, I honestly din't feel they were too fast, they sounded really good, like im very happy that the GNR sound is back.

Yeah I did see some fuck ups by Frank

But I really don't get how the songs were played fast? It sounded good to me. 

Maybe next time ill give the songs a better listen and then make a comment about it. 

43 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

You could kind of see this happening once we saw the final lineup.. Not that Punky Brewster has anything to do with the tempo, once she walked out on stage at the Troubador you could see that this was Axl's band and things weren't going to be that much different that NuGnR... It is a damn shame for people that didn't like NuGnR.

I like 2000-2002 nu-gnr. Love CD although I was shocked to see fillers like Scraped and If the world make the cut when it was in the making for over a decade. I expect 12 perfect songs but overall it has numerous gems on there. I'm glad they are still playing some of them and wish slash didn't put his own spin on perfect Finck solos in Better and This I love. Heck I was pissed with bumble put his own spin on the studio and they wound up using it on the record. Completely butchering Brian May's original solo in catcher for one. It was subtle and perfect and didn't need the extra middling and distortion!

So I am perfecting fine with Melissa's involvement. She is needed for those songs and she is needed for background vocals. Background vocals on Better would not sound right song by only Duff. Remember they don't have Matt to help with back ground vocals like. You need them live in a major production setting. Especially since Axl is 54 and needs to pick his spots. He no longer can run around the LA Colosseum track TWICE while singing without missing a beat. He is not 26 anymore. It's either Melissa filling the holes or a whole other band within a band circus like Teddy, Horns section or Tracy & Roberta which looks ridiculous. Also Melissa replacing Pittman also means my ears no longer bleed hearing sing background vocals 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sack Frank and Richard. Hire Adler. Allow Stradlin a piece of the pie. Get rid of the girl. Sorted.

There is still time, ahead of this stadium tour, to put everything right and turn this into something magical.

And just play AFD? You will piss off everyone going tot he show to see November Rain and ticket sales will suffer.  However you may get your wish if they do AFD30 anniversary tour next year and playbAFD from start to finish then bring on the other guys for the rest of the songs

Just now, Top-Hatted One said:

And just play AFD? You will piss off everyone going tot he show to see November Rain and ticket sales will suffer.  However you may get your wish if they do AFD30 anniversary tour next year and playbAFD from start to finish then bring on the other guys for the rest of the songs

What? Where did I say ''just play AFD''? Dizzy can still hang around if he wants - I am not proposing sacking Dizzy; I personally think he is a wanker but you need somebody to handle the secondary keyboard stuff and he has done that for a very long time.