Steven Adler On GN'R 'If Something Does Happen F**king Cool" Oct. 29, 2015 Interview

2 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I can't believe how much people like trashing Steven as if he was a disaster and the other guys were all perfect.

Slash, Izzy and Duff didn't quit drugs after Axl gave them an ultimatum when they were opening for the Stones, so if Steven didn't "appreciate his job", neither did any of the others.

Duff got to the point of almost killing himself! I admire the guy more than words can describe for the way he changed his life but he was extremely lucky to have a second chance. It's a miracle Slash is alive and healthy after sooo many years of doing drugs, he was still using during the first few years of VR (which made for some lousy performances in 2005 IMO). Again, I'm happy and proud that he got clean and is doing better than ever, but it's almost ridiculous he made it this far.

Steven fucked up big time, there's no denying but I think it's stupid and insensitive to say he didn't care or he didn't appreciate GNR as if drugs were something you can leave behind any day you want. I don't know if he deserves a second chance in GNR, all I know is he plays those songs better than anybody else, playing with those guys would mean the world to him and I'll always be pulling for him.

Fucking A.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I'm just surprised so many people are not satisfied with Axl, Slash and Duff playing together again because Alder isn't there. 

People are not satisfied because the current drumming situation sucks. I think a lot would prefer Adler but most would be happy with someone that doesn't noticeably suck at playing Gn'R songs.

11 hours ago, Billsfan said:

This. If zig zag was there instead of Melissa nobody would be complaining. I myself wasn't fond of the idea at first but since I have no say in the process I'll settle for what we have. 

And I could understand why there might be concern for having Adler there full time right now..

I would, lol! Zig Zag would not be able to do the stuff Melissa is doing at all. 

3 hours ago, action said:

As much as i'd love to hate the negative reviews of the coachella show, i have to agree with them. the band that we have now is but a patchwork of past greatness. it's a touring circus to make a quick buck. It's not the original 5 (you know, that legendary band that rightfully got all the fame it got) no matter how you twist it.

And even if it was the original 5, it's still not the original 5...they're 30 years older. They don't have the stage energy they used to. But I do think Steven would do a better job drumming the Appetite material. That's not going to suddenly make Slash or Axl start running around stage like a madman the way they used to. Youthful energy and cocaine/booze were a good part of that magic.

9 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Slash, Izzy and Duff didn't quit drugs after Axl gave them an ultimatum when they were opening for the Stones

Izzy has been sober since 1989 or 1988 or something, according to "The Most Dangerous Band in the World" documentary. It was mostly Slash and Steven doing heroine and Duff was the heavy drinker.

Edited by 3rd Wheel

9 minutes ago, Nintari said:

I think Adler was SUPPOSE to be the drummer and that Frank is just filling in at the last moment because of his injury. We'll see what happens on the tour.

Doubtful...full time?  Doubtful.  Even if he doesn't show up on the tour doesn't really mean anything.  Back injuries/surgeries take time to recover from and the posture a drunmer holds is about the worst when it comes to allowing a back problem to heal.

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't know; a second keyboardist (truly there is nothing that screams nugnr more than Axl's insistence that Guns have a second pointless keyboardist); three Chinese stinkers in the setlist; Frank; Richard; it seems to me that Axl has Slash and Duff bent over and he is giving them a bit of the old ginger sausage. When Slash and Duff last formed a quasi-Guns project, it was with Sorum. When the Guns hall of fame inductees needed a second guitarist to play live, who did Slash suggest? Gilby. Yet suddenly they are playing with these two nugnr guys and we are expected to believe this is consensual. It seems to me that they have been forced on Slash and Duff. But then you can bury a lot of antagonisms deep inside for the $$.

well, it must be consensual because they are doing it. Its not like they're indentured servants...or is it?

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Nahh because they are getting paid.. And getting paid well I assume.

What if it turns out that Slash divorced his wife to reunite with Axl for......

a big screen tv?!?

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

Its the biggest double standard in rock history that steven got kicked out of the band for taking drugs. Causing a riot where god knows how many women gut raped because axls throat feels raw is perfectly ok but god forbid someones taking drugs.

4 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

Its the biggest double standard in rock history that steven got kicked out of the band for taking drugs. Causing a riot where god knows how many women gut raped because axls throat feels raw is perfectly ok but god forbid someones taking drugs.

That isn't the only reason he got booted...

5 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

Wasnt that the official reason? 

The fact he couldn't actually record the UYI songs was a major problem. Slash was a full-blown heroin addict but he was still able to record his guitar parts for UYI. Stevie's drug use was over the top, even by GN'R standards.

You are talking about reliability in a band where the singer shows up 3 hours late each concert and causing riots because his inability to tolerate fans with cameras. Give me a break. Im not saying steven was a saint but there could have been other solutions than to sack him like some dude shaking french fries at mcd's.

• Like 1

I guess anyone going to these shows thinking they'll get what they used to get in the eighties or nineties is in for a big disappointment and it has little to do with Izzy's or Steven's presence or absence. Yes, they are 30 years older, the energy isn't the same, Axl's voice definitely isn't the same and probably never will be, it is, what it is.

But I do believe that if they really got their shit together, even the band that we have now, made some real effort, believed in this again and invested all they have left in them in terms of creativity, energy and emotional involvement, they could still kick ass today like nobody in the rock world does. They could still shake and stir up the almost non-existent world of rock with new songs and proper music and performance oriented no celebrity bullshit tours. Will they do it? Or will they just rest comfortably on the laurels of their past success and milk it forever ? That remains to be seen. I believe there is still enough of creative juices in them to push them forward but we'll see.

At this particular point with no obvious time reserved for making new music and Axl engaging in side projects rather than pushing his own and Slash's creativity within Guns, it doesn't look as promising to me as I would like it to. But who knows? They can still prove me wrong which I hope they will.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I can't believe how much people like trashing Steven as if he was a disaster and the other guys were all perfect.

Slash, Izzy and Duff didn't quit drugs after Axl gave them an ultimatum when they were opening for the Stones, so if Steven didn't "appreciate his job", neither did any of the others.

Duff got to the point of almost killing himself! I admire the guy more than words can describe for the way he changed his life but he was extremely lucky to have a second chance. It's a miracle Slash is alive and healthy after sooo many years of doing drugs, he was still using during the first few years of VR (which made for some lousy performances in 2005 IMO). Again, I'm happy and proud that he got clean and is doing better than ever, but it's almost ridiculous he made it this far.

Steven fucked up big time, there's no denying but I think it's stupid and insensitive to say he didn't care or he didn't appreciate GNR as if drugs were something you can leave behind any day you want. I don't know if he deserves a second chance in GNR, all I know is he plays those songs better than anybody else, playing with those guys would mean the world to him and I'll always be pulling for him.

It's not "trashing" him to be realistic about him. He's an unreliable addict who's been "sober a year" for 26 years. He shouldn't handle opening for Loaded without going off on a bender, why should something as big as a GNR reunion tour be put at risk just to include Steven Alder? Instead of victimizing him and pointing the finger at everyone else (like he likes to do himself) why don't we just acknowledge that he's not included for good reason, as unfortunate as you may or may not consider that to be.

1 hour ago, JeanGenie said:

Zero women were raped in any of the riots. Nice try though, please play again.

3 hours ago, Modano09 said:

It's not "trashing" him to be realistic about him. He's an unreliable addict who's been "sober a year" for 26 years. He shouldn't handle opening for Loaded without going off on a bender, why should something as big as a GNR reunion tour be put at risk just to include Steven Alder? Instead of victimizing him and pointing the finger at everyone else (like he likes to do himself) why don't we just acknowledge that he's not included for good reason, as unfortunate as you may or may not consider that to be.

I'm not victimizing Steven nor blaming the others for not including him, I respect their decision and even said I don't know if he deserves a second chance. I just don't see the need to attack him.

I think having a drummer who can't play the Appetite stuff puts the tour at risk way more than having a guy who's nailed those songs at every gig no matter how many drugs were in his sistem. To me, his playing is worth the supposed risk, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

• Like 1