METALLICA MANAGER: youtube is the devil

donny

just saw this as one of the top trending articles on facebook. he's complaining the band get paid nothing for metallica videos being played on youtube. whats the guys problem ?

its free advertising that has probably turned thousands of people into metallica fans over the years, whenever i play a rock song i like youtube has a column on the right of other videos i might want to watch, some by the artist i'm listening to and some by other artists. these get played automatically if i dont chose another song so i often let them play.

also when i go on youtube it has a dozen videos(sometimes metallica) saying "recommended for you". me and i'm sure many others have got into new bands after first hearing them on youtube which often lead to album and/or concert ticket sales.

i cant work out why this man has got an issue with it. 

He is stupid, you have someting on youtube called copyright, and if you have copyright on content someone put on youtube who don't have, you can report it to be deleted or let know youtube it's your video and all money from views will go straight to owner of that content.

It's old news that internet ruined music industry and physical albums selling. But Metallica had luck to be in peak in 80's so they have enough money i'm sure James won't die because his songs are on youtube so people when there is no tours can listen to their music.

The bands will bum rape you on ticket sales now so it is six and two threes. Whereas once they got their money from albums, now they get it from concerts. Stick your £2000 down and get a 'VIP' cock up the arse and a lanyard for your troubles. Trust me, they are financially supported!! So I say ''fuck them'' on the album front.

or after all the rivalry and disliking each other maybe metallica are jealous about how much GNR and AXL have been in the limelight over the past few weeks and just want to get their name in the media 

If somebody writes a song he gets paid for the rest of his life. I have to go to work every day and my boss expects me to have good ideas. Receiving eternal payments for a singular achievement is wrong imho.

Im specifically excluding the beatles here since theyre obviously the 4 prophets of the modern times. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lassie said:

Yes Doony i think it is more something like that, Metallica are jealous of GNR limelight now. And Donny your picture looks like it was from Gentofte station June 1993 in Denmark, when Guns N Roses played there :-)

i think it was taken at milton keynes 1993 but he wore the same clothes many times during that leg of the tour 

YouTube has basically become my exclusive source of music for the last several years. As a matter of fact, I became a massive Metallica fan thanks to YouTube lol. I understand the frustration that artists have been facing with the Internet for the last decade+, but I'm also of the opinion that aspiring artists simply shouldn't worry about that sort of thing and just try to make their music as unique and compelling as possible while working with whatever conditions they may be in. I would like to imagine that if the music is good enough the rest will fall into place. Can't speak from experience of course, tho. That's just my gut feeling. 

Bottom line, I like Metallica and understand the struggle (pun intended) here but they really shouldn't complain. Especially since The Black Album reportedly still "sells" 5k copies a week. You'd think they would've learned from the Napster debacle. 

Nope it's good someone is paid for a record he wrote all his life and beyond. 

The manager of Metallica is obviously talking out of his ass. Youtube is free advertisement, like radio, and he can always monetize all the songs and vids, there are a couple of companies who will do it for him and all they will have too do is take the money. And shut up.

Actually he has a point. Youtube is one copyrights violation cluster fuck and going after them to have them remove every copyright infringement will end up costing you. Unlike most music streaming platforms, youtube exists via user generated content. What's even more ridiculous is that people who put up other people's content can generate money with ads and hits. It's totally insane.

Metallica has a history with being against online piracy, most notably their battle against Napster way back. I am in full agreement that an artist should be the only deciding factor in who gets to use their music and if they want to use youtube to generate publicity, it should be metallica who decides to put up a song or video and not someone else.

With live shows it's different because the quality is usually substandard.

They seem to be attacking one of the few methods left today through which people might actually be exposed to their music (and potentially buy it) while missing the greater point: everyone else will just torrent their next album regardless! If they are still stewing about this illegal copyright stuff, and truly determined to increase their billion dollar fortune, than they should be targeting the torrents and not something as benign as youtube.

The quality is not that good on youtube anyway, MP3 quality? (I might be wrong there as my technology knowledge can be written on a postage stamp).