05/07/16 - Lisbon, Portugal - Passeio Maritimo De Alges

downzy

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

He was paid to kill and he did his job. Not many know this, but there is an industry secret which is basically a hybrid of 2 relatively new concepts: rehearsals, and being into it. It seems to work for more and more gingers.

Great post. There is no doubt at all that rehearsals really do make a difference with Axl. Those 20+ rehearsals and his enthusiasm are what clearly made the difference. As for being paid (I know you meant to use that line as an expression) I wouldn't be surprised if he did these for free or for not much money. That's probably the least of his motivations in this situation.

5 hours ago, James Bond said:

Obviously much of the attention is on Axl and Angus for good reason, but something I mentioned in another thread needs to be mentioned again.

Chris Slade is 70.

Seventy!

His drumming hasn't changed at all since 1991. I hope I have half of his energy when I'm 40 let alone 70. The guy deserves some credit too! Stevie and Cliff as well. They all seem to defy age when they hit that stage. It's amazing how much Angus still perks up on that stage. These guys are still one of the greatest live bands of all time.

THIS. My favorite part of that pro shot video was watching 70 year Chris Slade banging away with the enthusiasm of a 17 year old. I'm glad for him and glad that he's back.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Freaka said:

Yeah, I'm pretty much alive for the most part, you know standing in the rain for 12 hours takes its toll.

And they didn't say anything, most of the people that were ruining the show were 18 year olds that were calling Axl fat and shit and I almost kicked their asses. That's why I was being so rude.

It always surprises me a little when I find AC/DC fans that don't like Gn'R or GN'R fans that don't like AC/DC. Growing up, I always thought that for the most part, most people who liked one tended to like the other (even many older AC/DC fans for that matter) - GN'R is practically the child of AC/DC; different of course, because there are other genes mixed up in there, but the family resemblance is uncanny. 

Anyhow Freaka, congratulations - even Duff watched your periscope feed! 

Edited by The Archer

5 minutes ago, The Archer said:

It always surprises me a little when I find AC/DC fans that don't like Gn'R or GN'R fans that don't like AC/DC. Growing up, I always thought that for the most part, most people who liked one tended to like the other (even many older AC/DC fans for that matter) - GN'R are practically the child of AC/DC; different of course, because there are other genes mixed up in there, but the family resemblance is uncanny. 

Anyhow Freaka, congratulations - even Duff watched your periscope feed! 

I would guess most AC/DC fans enjoy Appetite, but aren't a fan of how bloated the GN'R sound became later on. I love both bands, but I happen to be very grateful that GN'R did not just repeat Appetite over and over. They challenged themselves and came up with some absolutely brilliant material like Dust N' Bones, November Rain, The Garden, Don't Damn Me, Coma, Civil War, Locomotive, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, and Estranged. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Hey guys what a night! I'm still speechless, but I already had time to take some rest and took all the mud and bad smell I had in me (a mixing of wet clothes, beer, weed and sweat) with a good shower ha! Review time!

Well I don't even know where to start...But first the rain! Really What the hell? Portugal is a sunny country but yesterday there was the flood. Nothing that made AC/DC, GN'R and rock fans go home. I arrived at the venue at 4 pm and stayed there, on my feet, with all the rain and wind until the end of the show.
About Axl, that god of the Hell: A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Really, you can't imagine the power in his voice and the fire in his look. The crowd went to their sha na na na na na na na na na knees everytime he yelled. Everything was unbelievable, there was some songs where he was absolutely perfect, and it was almost all of them. He hit every note, every scream, that rasp...dude sang and screamed his ass off. He may be sit, but he proved right there to the nay-sayers why he is one of the best frontmen ever. :axl:

I could say  all the show and all songs were THE highlight, and I wouldn't be lying, but apart of the classics, 'Shoot to Thrill' and 'For Those About to Rock' were from another dimension. 'For Those About to Rock' we got 93' Axl. No kidding:  that rasp almost brought tears to my eyes. I just close my eyes and let myself go with that voice that I love so much, incredible. And 'Shoot to Thrill', well, the crowd surrendered to him, there's a part where he does a scream and everyone went nuts and automatically started to clap and give him the Rock N' Roll horns and saying 'omg', 'wow, did you hear that?'. The minute the song ended everyone started chanting 'Axl, Axl, Axl'. And they did this in other songs, until he just say something like 'I think you mean Angus'. But goddman Axl conquered the crowd. The guy next to me, during the waiting was always saying bad things about him, but he was one of the first who chanted Axl, and cheer him all around, I couldn't help but laugh. Just for you see how our boy became a darling to the portuguese crowd and even media, on my way to Lisbon and the venue and before the show I heard people badmouthing him, talking how unreliable he was, how junkie he was, how he wasn't voice anymore, but coming back from the concert everyone was saying how great he was and how they were mindblowed with his voice. Right there my gunner heart melt and sure it was fulfill, I felt so proud for him!

But the show itself, even if it was no Axl, was marvelous. Angus is a fuckin god, and he sure knows how to interact with the crowd. The band was tight, the energy on stage and on the crowd was unbelievable and I'm so so happy I went. It was a golden ticket, it was historical, Axl was on fire, the band too, the crowd...

Leaving home at 10 am, being on my feet for 8 hours and arrive home at 6 am today, was so worth it. Thank you Axl, thank you AC/DC for this experience.

P.S. On my way out of the venue, Fernando just passed by me, I called him and just said that he could congratulate Axl, because it was a hell of a show and his voice was amazing. He was a really nice guy. Props to him ;)

P.S. 2 - I have like two vids and bad pics I took with my potato, bad quality of course but I'll post them later.

I'm glad you had a great time at the show. Thanks for sharing your experience with us here. Pretty funny that the guy near you was bad-mouthing Axl and then chanted his name later. :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Freaka said:

Yes, that was me. And I don't give a shit about the AC/DC fans, actually I hate AC/DC, I just went to see Axl.

Anyway, thank you everyone for watching and making our Periscope streaming so successful.

Thank you:lol: i watched your streaming and really enjoyed it (not an ACDC fan either)

I saw tons of footage on youtube.

I think Axl rocked it and the band sounded awesome! I think Axl did justice to all the AC/DC songs including the ones that Bonn Scott sang. Loved Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap and highway to hell was just amazing!

Looked liked the fans were having a blast. I saw mostly positive remarks on different sites for Axl.

6 hours ago, Freaka said:

I just went to see Axl.

I think a lot of fans GN'R fans are going to do the same as you, hence why I'm not worried at all about the story here in Belgium making the news (7.000 AC/DC fans asked for a refund). Axl's name is going to drag a different crowd, and all the very positive reviews as well.

Their loss!

I wish I could go but I'll be travelling to the US on the 16th for work :-/

'High Voltage' was my first hard rock album ever back in 2005. That album is still one of my favourite AC/DC albums. I bought my first GN'R album 'AfD' a year later. 

To see AC/DC with Axl Rose on stage was terrific. A dream came true for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

I think a lot of fans GN'R fans are going to do the same as you, hence why I'm not worried at all about the story here in Belgium making the news (7.000 AC/DC fans asked for a refund). Axl's name is going to drag a different crowd, and all the very positive reviews as well.

Their loss!

I wish I could go but I'll be travelling to the US on the 16th for work :-/

Now that there is ton of video footage with Axl on his "A" game, they will easily be able to fill any refunded tickets with GN'R fans. Rest of the shows will be sold out for sure. 

1st off the weather was totally horrendous may as well stood under  a water fall absolutely soaked to the bone..!!!!

In no order i liked these

STT

Rosie

RoB

RNRD

DDDDC

It was only his 1st show he will just get better be good to see when his boot comes off 3/4 more shows is what being said.

Edited by Gavin82
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

Maybe when they have a chance to first get this thing going and gain momentum Axl will feel more confident to give us what we need most. In the mean time feel free to enjoy the shit I make up just for kicks.

Fair enough. I just have no choice but to call things as I see them and believe that they're right until proven otherwise. For example, slash replaced bumblefoot. Not bumblefoot plus ashba. 

#thunderchucker

It was apparent Rose was ready to celebrate. It's one thing to be one of the most iconic rock singers in musical history while singing your own beloved band's songs, another thing entirely to try and pull it off while singing those of another iconic rock band. It would be daft to go as far as to say lighting has struck twice for Rose, but there was a raging rock and roll storm nonetheless, and Rose could have damn near kissed himself for pulling it off. 

By the time "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" brought this much-ballyhooed experiment to a close, Rose come to realize what the Lisboêtas in attendance at this inaugural performance already knew: Axl/DC kinda rocks. AC/DC fundamentalists may never accept Rose as their trusted leader, even for a few shows. "It sounds strange," they'll say. "It sounds like Guns N' Roses covering AC/DC," they'll say. In the end, it's a whole lot better than a refund.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7358020/axl-rose-ac-dc-lisbon-video