05/07/16 - Lisbon, Portugal - Passeio Maritimo De Alges

downzy

22 hours ago, War2k14 said:

I can't believe some YouTube commenters can still hate on this.  Axl blows recent Brian performances out of the water.  One thing is clear to me tho now.  

Maybe Axl doesn't want to sing GNR with full rasp. 

So glad to have these recordings.  It's a good time in the forum.. Axl is more productive now than in recent memory and is murdering on stage!  Hope he gets enough vocal rest on his off days.  What an all time great Axl performance this was.  Truly one of the best!

Yeah, I saw some recent performances of Brian and he sounded pretty bad. He had no lungs and couldn't do much.

8 hours ago, The Archer said:

Yeah, he tried keeping up with Brian on YSMANL for AC/DC's rock n roll HOF induction and it almost got him out of breath. No wonder he is impressed with Axl.

Yeah, wasn't impressed with Tyler's version of that song. Something was off about the way he phrased the words.

2 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Can someone explain the whole tuning talk going on?

I listened to both Brian and Axl performances and can't tell the difference with regards to the tuning.

A layman's explanation would help!

AC/DC songs were written and recorded in E tuning for the guitars and bass (This is considered standard tuning). The last couple tours, AC/DC tuned their guitars down a half step on each string, to Eb tuning, to accommodate Brian's lessening range. It's somewhat common practice for aging bands to do this, since as you get older the high notes are more difficult. Axl, however, is singing the songs in the original keys, so AC/DC has tuned back up to standard tuning.

Don't even listen to the vocals, since Brian wasn't even remotely going for the high notes, even in Eb tuning. Just listen to the guitars, you'll hear that the pitch is lower with Brian:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

AC/DC songs were written and recorded in E tuning for the guitars and bass (This is considered standard tuning). The last couple tours, AC/DC tuned their guitars down a half step on each string, to Eb tuning, to accommodate Brian's lessening range. It's somewhat common practice for aging bands to do this, since as you get older the high notes are more difficult. Axl, however, is singing the songs in the original keys, so AC/DC has tuned back up to standard tuning.

Don't even listen to the vocals, since Brian wasn't even remotely going for the high notes, even in Eb tuning. Just listen to the guitars, you'll hear that the pitch is lower with Brian:

Thanks heaps, I'm gonna rewatch both videos and listen very carefully.

4 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

Why? They recorded the songs in Eb tuning.

Because Axl seems to excel on higher material, it's worth a shot on some songs at least like Paradise city would be a good candidate. People lower keys all the time to accommodate singers why not raise it. If it results in the voice we heard in Lisbon I'm for it.

4 minutes ago, nightrain50 said:

Because Axl seems to excel on higher material, it's worth a shot on some songs at least like Paradise city would be a good candidate. People lower keys all the time to accommodate singers why not raise it. If it results in the voice we heard in Lisbon I'm for it.

The voice you heard in Lisbon is a progression of the same voice you heard in Vegas...and Mexico City and Coachella.  Axls voice is notorious for improving over time with solid, consistent use.  It has nothing to do with the key the songs are played in other than the fact that not a lot of AC/DC stuff has much range to it and is easier to handle in rasp as compared to some GnR material.

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

The voice you heard in Lisbon is a progression of the same voice you heard in Vegas...and Mexico City and Coachella.  Axls voice is notorious for improving over time with solid, consistent use.  It has nothing to do with the key the songs are played in other than the fact that not a lot of AC/DC stuff has much range to it and is easier to handle in rasp as compared to some GnR material.

Yeah, that's what I reckon! That and probably a vocal coach to make sure he uses good technique and preserve his voice.

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

We'll see, it's just a suggestion for them to try in rehearsals... I've noticed for a long time before the ac dc thing he did better on songs when he's at the top of his range, and yes I know Axl usually gets better at beginning of tours, whatever magic he's got going I hope it continues, because I know some GN'R fans will be very disappointed if he doesn't return with the voice we're hearing now.

I'm not really a AC/DC fan, I've heard the hits and that's about it, but I just listened to a bootleg from the show and I'm blown away by Axl's performance! It's like I'm hearing the Axl of '91 some times! 
Just amazing!

7 hours ago, kanudo19 said:

I was there. Axl kicked ass but Acdc is boring as fuck. They play the same song for two hours.

Best case scenario Axl gets tired of this and brings his enthusiasm to the GNR shows by the time this tour ends. I mean by that time he will have sung that one song about as many times as jungle in the last decade, and a he will be looking forward to a varied setlist strengthened by all the fun and positive feedback from media and fans. One can hope! 

17 hours ago, The Archer said:

Yup. It just wouldn't be alright to many. The very least they could do is switch around some of the Brian material.

IDK guys, are hardcore AC/DC fans that short sighted? The BON era came FIRST, it's not like they would be cutting Brian songs for Axl songs or something? Its for the TRUE era of the band. 

I'm a VH fan as well, and it's kinda like if Dave died, was replaced by Sammy, then got replaced by sebastian Bach or someone like that. If Sebastain wanted to play a lot of Dave songs that were ignored during the Sammy years, I know for a fact VH fans would be happy to be getting the old stuff. 

It just seems odd to me that people would be mad if What would you do for the money and Have a drink on me for replaced by Touch too much and what's next to the moon. Like really???

1 hour ago, Changes said:

Best case scenario Axl gets tired of this and brings his enthusiasm to the GNR shows by the time this tour ends. I mean by that time he will have sung that one song about as many times as jungle in the last decade, and a he will be looking forward to a varied setlist strengthened by all the fun and positive feedback from media and fans. One can hope! 

No. Best case scenario is he kicks ass in AC/DC and GN'R for the foreseeable future, that's it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

IDK guys, are hardcore AC/DC fans that short sighted? The BON era came FIRST, it's not like they would be cutting Brian songs for Axl songs or something? Its for the TRUE era of the band. 

I'm a VH fan as well, and it's kinda like if Dave died, was replaced by Sammy, then got replaced by sebastian Bach or someone like that. If Sebastain wanted to play a lot of Dave songs that were ignored during the Sammy years, I know for a fact VH fans would be happy to be getting the old stuff. 

It just seems odd to me that people would be mad if What would you do for the money and Have a drink on me for replaced by Touch too much and what's next to the moon. Like really???

I think that there's always a lot of sentimentality associated with Bon - because he died suddenly and unexpectedly and there was a sense that he could have done much more. But now that Brian's been there for 36 years, the fans in general have a lot of affection for him too. That's true for even those who are primarily fans of the Bon era. It's just a sensitive topic particularly now that Brian's just faced all these personal problems - his health and departure from the band.

49 minutes ago, Aaron_H said:

Is this the best recording we have from Axl/DC at the moment?

I downloaded that one and is really bad. It's just a cellphone in the middle of a crowd, more specifically, female crowd going crazy about Axl with every song.

So get warned :lol:

9 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I downloaded that one and is really bad. It's just a cellphone in the middle of a crowd, more specifically, female crowd going crazy about Axl with every song.

So get warned :lol:

Haha, okay, thanks. I guess I'll make a thread or something to see what's out there. :D