05/16/16 - Werchter, Belgium - Werchter Site

downzy

46 minutes ago, The Archer said:

He did mess up the lyrics there with 'Hey Satan! Payin' my dues,' turning into 'Hey Satan! Look at me' form the next line's 'Hey Mama! Look at me'. Small flub though, considering that he sounded great on the song overall.

Haha, maybe he's trying to make a point. 

51 minutes ago, The Archer said:

He did mess up the lyrics there with 'Hey Satan! Payin' my dues,' turning into 'Hey Satan! Look at me' form the next line's 'Hey Mama! Look at me'. Small flub though, considering that he sounded great on the song overall.

It's going to be harder for him without the lyrics right in front of him. I think that's going to be a concern once he's running around stage again. But he's a professional I think he'll be fine...not his first mistake and won't be his last 

For those about to Rock

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

It's going to be harder for him without the lyrics right in front of him. I think that's going to be a concern once he's running around stage again. But he's a professional I think he'll be fine...not his first mistake and won't be his last 

I don't know what the big deal is - why not just get a few tele-prompters for him? Maybe they want to avoid criticism from reviewers or fans who are going to criticize him for not knowing all the words to all the songs. He's done it for GN'R and those are his own songs, so  it shouldn't have to be a big issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I don't know what the big deal is - why not just get a few tele-prompters for him? Maybe they want to avoid criticism from reviewers or fans who are going to criticize him for not knowing all the words to all the songs. He's done it for GN'R and those are his own songs, so  it shouldn't have to be a big issue.

His focus or something was off on this show in Belgium, he had quite a few missed cues on songs from this show, I'm not sure if his sound was messed up for his in ear thing, or he just wasn't as into it tonight but more mistakes from this show than the other ones combined. I'm thinking there was a technical issue for him and hopefully that explains some of the missed lyrics. 

I know they have two monitors right in front of his chair for him to see lyrics on, but he's doing pretty good with the lyrics as it is. I never really see him go to the monitors for help...I'm just convinced there was something technically off tonight for him. I don't think these problems will continue 

13 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

His focus or something was off on this show in Belgium, he had quite a few missed cues on songs from this show, I'm not sure if his sound was messed up for his in ear thing, or he just wasn't as into it tonight but more mistakes from this show than the other ones combined. I'm thinking there was a technical issue for him and hopefully that explains some of the missed lyrics. 

I know they have two monitors right in front of his chair for him to see lyrics on, but he's doing pretty good with the lyrics as it is. I never really see him go to the monitors for help...I'm just convinced there was something technically off tonight for him. I don't think these problems will continue 

And it could be that he wasn't excited by the crowd, or rather that he was disappointed at not seeing enough of a response from them and that had him off his game just a bit.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Archer said:

And it could be that he wasn't excited by the crowd, or rather that he was disappointed at not seeing enough of a response from them and that had him off his game just a bit.

agreed.

the crowd was absolutely useless. the mood of the Belgians was as grey as the weather. Poor Axl.

Axl really fucking nailed it yesterday. Someone says his focus was off? not to these ears. His performance was flawless. great rasp throughout the whole show, he even walked around on stage for the last couple of songs. was VERY excited by this; Axl looked like a fucking god rising from his throne. He's really in shape too.

These ACDC shows are a great appetizer for the next leg of GNR shows. Can't wait to see him rocking out with the boys without the chair.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

They all have their phones out. Every Belgian is standing there like a tit with his phone out. What do they expect to achieve?

lol

I was one of them. I'm having a sore arm taping the whole damn show (audio only) with my ancient nokia mobile.

but my mobile is so miserably outdated, not a single song is listenable. the drums sound like someone hitting a punchbag. might as well delete the lot of them. feel like a complete idiot now, lol 

• Like 1

as a Belgian myself, huge facepalm to those who come to a rock show wearing their office clothes and being a douche when a couple of fans start a moshpit. was actually pretty funny to see how some of them got pushed around and seeing them complain. think they might have mistaken this event for the annual cow prize contest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lio said:

I thought there were few people with their phones out, but I was at the other side. On this video they seem out in full force.

My review: Axl: :drool:

He looked and sounded so great. Funny how he started the night without glasses, hat or bandana, and then started to dress up in his chair. Scarf, hat, glasses, bandana :lol:

He also looked very happy and into it, rocking on his chair. When he got briefly out of the chair, you could see what an amazing frontman he is. I can't wait to see him again, with Guns, and back on his feet.

Also: I saw someone mentioning Axl made a snarky comment about the lame crowd. That's not true, I think. My guess is there was some kind of fight or whatever in the front. I saw Axl looking at it during the song, and then afterwards he asked if they were alright, everyone was just there to have some fun.

I'm not that much of a concert goer, but this was the first time I saw this kind of system with the pit. We got in around 4:30 and I wanted to get near the stage. But then saw there was a pit, checked it out and they were distributing wrist bands. The guy said there were 3000. So we were able to get in the pit, then walk around the site later, have some food and drinks and go pee, and get back to the front when the show started. I liked the system. No need to stay in the same spot for hours. (Unless you wanted front row, maybe.)

When we drove home, traffic was a mess, but a radio station here did a radio aftershow between midnight and 3AM. It was to be all AC/DC, with people calling in who went to the show, requesting their favourite AC/DC songs. For one they were all super excited about the show, and about Axl, even if most weren't Axl fans to start with. Furthermore, they also played SCOM, PC, Patience and Jungle. I thought that was pretty cool, people requesting GNR songs. I hope Axl stays this strong when he gets back to GNR. I'm sure he won over many people yesterday, which can only be a good thing for GNR. The media here have been mocking Axl for... um... probably decades now, but now they're really excited as well, only seen great reviews.

Great, great post. I wish more forum members would give us posts like this one, after attending a show. It's just very cool to know that things were actually better than what we perceived while watching the show on periscope. Axl actually trying to calm some rowdy fans down, sounded different to those who were watching the stream. It seemed that he was upset about the Belgian crowd being inactive but it's good to know that wasn't the case. Also, it's gratifying to see that this really big risk is paying dividends for both AC/DC and Axl - they are winning people over performance by performance and that's just great. While it is only anecdotal evidence, the fact that people are now excited about GN'R too because of AC/DC is a big, big win overall.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

yes, I can confirm Axl was pointing to a certain region when he made those remarks. Definatly must have been something going on there, I don't think he was being sneaky at all.

if anything, I got a very friendly vibe from Axl, he seemed really nice and very talkative. Made a fun comment after each song, it was nice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, action said:

yes, I can confirm Axl was pointing to a certain region when he made those remarks. Definatly must have been something going on there, I don't think he was being sneaky at all.

if anything, I got a very friendly vibe from Axl, he seemed really nice and very talkative. Made a fun comment after each song, it was nice.

Indeed. I didn't get the impression Axl wasn't giving it his all, like some here said. He seemed very much into it, even if the crowd was... um... odd.

16 minutes ago, DeadHorseinaComa said:

As for the fights, there were a couple of idiots who were punching people in the pit, at one point the security caught them but they eventually managed to come back, that's when a bit of turmoil started again. Really sad scene, but to me it didn't seem like Axl noticed it.

My understanding is that he did notice it because between songs he said something like "is everything OK? We are just trying to have a good time" (not his exact words).

Thanks for sharing your experience. Really happy that the crowd started chanting his name! I didn't listen to it while watching the periscope link. Happy the crowd showed him some love because what we saw was that the people weren't really responsive to Axl. 

2 minutes ago, oaka said:

My understanding is that he did notice it because between songs he said something like "is everything OK? We are just trying to have a good time" (not his exact words).

Thanks for sharing your experience. Really happy that the crowd started chanting his name! I didn't listen to it while watching the periscope link. Happy the crowd showed him some love because what we saw was that the people weren't really responsive to Axl. 

Yeah, I must have probably missed it 'cause I was trying to figure out what was happening myself :P

Not really a wonder that it wasn't audible as only part of the people was participating in the cants, be them for Axl or Angus. Lame crowd effect, I guess.

I don't think anyone is questioning Axl's vocal performance but he jumped into a couple lines too early and missed some lyrics, I found that odd after the first few shows seemed flawless. I was wondering if he wasn't getting good feedback on the audio...I think that would be fascinating considering the way he handled the show and never complained where as 2006 Axl would have lost it on every person he could 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

Thanks for the feedback of those who were there.

I can't wait until they finally give dates for the US reschedule.

Agreed...I will definetely be making a road trip to the Detroit or Ohio shows.

It was amazing. From the moment the show started Axl nailed it. I only heard a slight hint of Mickey during one song, cant really remember which one though, think 'Got Some RnR Thunder'. But the rasp was back, and he was more friendly than ever.

He noticed something was going on in the pit. I wasnt in the pit but remember him saying that people had to be reasonable (or something like that) and that 'we are all here to have a good time'.

The jokes about the songs were actually pretty funny, and I also noticed Angus did seem to make some slight mistakes on Thunderstruck, just didnt nail every note but seem to slip sometimes.

Axl said he got a remark on his chair 'the other night', it was supposed to be his 'Netflix and Chill' position :D He seemed genuinly pleased and happy to be there and perform with these guys.

I watched Highway to Hell from a bit further back (AXL's first steps? He walked for about half of the song) and left during Riff Raff. I saw AC/DC with Brian last year, and the whole cannon-thingie during For Those About To Rock... is fun, but already saw that and they are doing that for what? 20 years now? I predicted the traffic was going to be a pain in the ass and wanted to get a head start as I had a 2,5 - 3hr drive ahead of me. Wasnt a bad choice as I was able to leave the parking and Werchter-area pretty painless. 

Really hoping Axl can keep up this performance. He REALLY seemed pleased, so it looks honest. He was on time (show started 21:03, was planned for 21:00), he had a great voice, great charisma, really a 9/10 for me for Axl. Show a 8/10. The Angus solo before the encore was a bit too lengthy, but maybe that's because I saw the whole routine with the rising podium and falling Angus last year.

• Like 3