06/09/16 - Manchester, England - Etihad Stadium

downzy

Yeah but now they got the idea there's a few quid in it they don't want anybody having the sort of fun that will frighten all the middle class girlies, do they?  Every soft lads bands gig I've been to, admittedly not that many, in fact GnR is the only one, the other one was Paul McCartney but you gotta kinda let them off cuz some of em are aincent it's like fuckin' watching a gig like those old Beatles gigs in Japan, everyone clapping in formation and that, it's pitiful.

Edited by Len B'stard

6 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Yeah but now they got the idea there's a few quid in it they don't want anybody having the sort of fun that will frighten all the middle class girlies, do they?  Every soft lads bands gig I've been to, admittedly not that many, in fact GnR is the only one, the other one was Paul McCartney but you gotta kinda let them off cuz some of em are aincent it's like fuckin' watching a gig like those old Beatles gigs in Japan, everyone clapping in formation and that, it's pitiful.

They're playing the Olympic stadium in your neck of the woods also. You should go? Get your credit card out, drink your Pimms, eat your prawn sandwich as it is a rock or bust.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

They're playing the Olympic stadium in your neck of the woods also. You should go? Get your credit card out, drink your Pimms, eat your prawn sandwich as it is a rock or bust.

I don't think I'd pay money to go see AC/DC.  Or Guns n Roses come to that. 

On 5/31/2016 at 10:40 AM, GnRMisterE said:

Does anyone have any ideas about stage times yet?  I've never been to a gig at the Etihad - would it be feasible to get my last train back from Picadilly at about 23:15?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/acdc-etihad-manchester-axl-rose-11416750

AC/DC and Axl Rose at the Etihad - what to expect and how to get there

If Adam Lambert can fill the shoes of Freddie Mercury and The Cult’s frontman Ian Astbury can convincingly stand in for Jim Morrison to perform with The Doors’ Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek, then we’re fairly sure that Axl Rose can ably take the spot of Brian Johnson in AC/DC.

After all, Axl is rock royalty in his own right. A tardy time keeper, but rock royalty all the same...

And yet, the decision for the Guns N’ Roses man to join the Aussie classic rock stalwarts due to Johnson’s urgent medical advice to quit or go deaf hasn’t been without controversy - least of all between Johnson and the rest of the band, who seem to have differing views on the permanence of the switch.

In a statement issued earlier this year that whiffed of the end of an era, they said: "AC/DC band members would like to thank Brian Johnson for his contributions and dedication to the band throughout the years. We wish him all the best with his hearing issues and future ventures."

Johnson joined the band in 1980, filling some pretty big boots himself following the death of iconic singer Bon Scott. Thirty-five years and eight line ups later, with their new recruit installed, AC/DC’s story rolls on and they resume their Rock Or Bust World Tour.

Who are AC/DC?

Vocals: Axl Rose (possibly seated with a broken foot - the recovery continues)

Lead guitar: Angus Young (founder member, since 1973)

Bass: Cliff Williams (joined in 1977, appeared on everything since Powerage)

Rhythm guitar: Stevie Young (replacing his retired uncle and founding brother Malcolm Young, toured with the band back in 1988 while Malcolm was in rehab)

Drums: Chris Slade (there’s a bust up story there involving Phil Rudd, too, but that’s for another time)

What setlist will they play?

In 2016, they’re marking year 43 in music. In anyone’s book, that’s an outstanding achievement, but it's just one remarkable number on their CV.

Rock Or Bust is their 14th album, and they’re also the band who wrote Back In Black - the biggest selling band album of all time, and second only for LP units shifted by an artist to Michael Jackson’s Thriller. Yes, it’s that iconic.

AP Photo/Armando Franca

Here's a slightly distressing picture of Axl Rose with his broken foot, and here's the anticipated setlist:

Rock Or Bust

Shoot To Thrill

Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be

Back In Black

Got Some Rock & Roll Thunder

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Rock ‘n’ Roll Damnation

Thunderstruck

High Voltage

Rock ‘n’ Roll Train

Hells Bells

Given the Dog a Bone

Sin City

You Shook Me All Night Long

Shot Down in Flames

Have a Drink on Me

T.N.T.

Whole Lotta Rosie

Let There Be Rock

ENCORE

Highway to Hell

Riff Raff

For Those About to Rock

When are they on stage?

Katarina Benzova / acdc.com

The AC/DC Rock Or Bust tour hits Bern, Germany

Stage times and the support act are still to be confirmed, but provisional times are:

Gates: 5pm

Support: 7pm

AC/DC: 8.15pm

Curfew: 11pm

How do I get there?

The Etihad Stadium is the home of Manchester City Football Club and based in east Manchester. It's well linked via public transport but also has plenty of parking (getting in and out of the car parks before and after events can take time, so allow plenty of it).

Take a Metrolink tram to the Etihad Campus stop, on the Ashton Under Lyne line, which passes through Market Street, Piccadilly Gardens and Piccadilly Railway Station. You'll be there in under 10 mins - the stadium is just across the tracks from the stop.

Plenty of buses go along that route - services 231 and 216 will drop you right outside. You can plan your journey here for the bus. You can also walk there following the City Link signs - start at Piccadilly railway station, it'll take about 20-25 minutes.

Etihad Stadium, Ashton New Road / livenation.co.uk / 0333 321 9999 / June 9 / Gates open at 5pm / £72.50 / @Etihad_Stadium

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 7:21 AM, Len B'stard said:

Yes, I imagined you'd attend, I mean the bodies aren't gonna bugger and drown themselves are they? :lol:

Get out of discussion and news/the jungle!

Be gone, foul wanker!

On 31 May 2016 at 6:40 PM, GnRMisterE said:

Does anyone have any ideas about stage times yet?  I've never been to a gig at the Etihad - would it be feasible to get my last train back from Picadilly at about 23:15?

I wouldn't count on it to be honest. The stadium is about 2 miles from Picadilly station and with traffic and the crowds I think you'd struggle to get back in time if the gig finished any later than 10pm. 

• Like 1

Filthy Cow is a great place. Burgers are delicious. I'm working nights on Wednesday so I'm not sure what time I'll make it into Manchester though. If I'm early enough I'll pop along for sure. :)

• Like 1

Anyone have anymore info on stage times? What time did they go on & finish in London?

My train departs Piccadilly at 11:50pm (and i'm fucked if i miss it!)

How far is the stadium from piccadilly? Is it a nightmare getting the metrolink after a gig? I'd rather walk if it is. 

Advice appreciated! Never been to the Etihad before. 

8 minutes ago, bangit said:

Anyone have anymore info on stage times? What time did they go on & finish in London?

My train departs Piccadilly at 11:50pm (and i'm fucked if i miss it!)

How far is the stadium from piccadilly? Is it a nightmare getting the metrolink after a gig? I'd rather walk if it is. 

Advice appreciated! Never been to the Etihad before.

The stadium is pretty much a mile and a half exactly from Picadilly. I used to live less than 200 yards from Picadilly and it would take me about 30 minutes to walk it.

Taxis might be a struggle and the Metrolink can get very busy but it will pretty much take you door to door.

Personally I'd say walk to the Metrolink stop just next to the Asda superstore and see how busy it is. If it's packed then don't even bother trying for taxis and just walk it. 

If you get out of the stadium by 11pm you'll make it in plenty of time. 

Edited by Dazey

On 04/06/2016 at 10:45 PM, Gracii Guns said:

@Dazey @Axl_morris @alfierose @T-Minus  @bangit @GivenToFly @Dean @AlexC @Aaron_H @sparka @Bansidhe @MillionsOfSpiders @seely @flamingmonkey @Mark1989 @Chilliconcarne @Dangelus @Axls_Moustache_Rules

I'm organising a meetup on the day. 

Come to The Flithy Cow, Tib Lane, Manchester at 4pm. We can eat, drink and get merry before heading to the show together. Please RSVP if you can, and I'll reserve a table for us. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Filthy+Cow/@53.480913,-2.2459674,18z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x487bb1c22fab1b9d:0x4b2d902af5cf4c62!2sVeeno!8m2!3d53.479735!4d-2.246241!3m4!1s0x0000000000000000:0xdd69f1811678bd22!8m2!3d53.4804604!4d-2.2447146

Before anyone moans about the location I've picked, we needed somewhere in town which is cheap and cheerful, we can go to other places after. 

If you have me on Facebook, feel free to message me on the day if needs be. 

Thank you kindly.

Nice one, I should be getting there for 5ish if your still about.

• Like 1

MrShankly's gonna be there! If you's don't mind I'll catch up with ye at The Filthy Cow aswel. Even though you guys have no idea who I am :lol: i feel like i've known a lot of ye's for years! I'm staying not too far from there and will be in Manchester quite early I think. Just look out for a wee Jake Bugg lookin' guy with a Beatles haircut :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Filthy Cow haha

Are you coming Dies? 

3 minutes ago, MrShankly said:

MrShankly's gonna be there! If you's don't mind I'll catch up with ye at The Filthy Cow aswel. Even though you guys have no idea who I am :lol: i feel like i've known a lot of ye's for years! I'm staying not too far from there and will be in Manchester quite early I think. Just look out for a wee Jake Bugg lookin' guy with a Beatles haircut :lol: 

Yep, please come along! We'll obviously have to quiz you on historic mygnr knowledge. 

Sweet, count me in for this. Don't think any of you will know me either though :( been very irregularly posting since 2006 and, like the poster above said, feel like I know some of you guys even if you don't know me!

• Like 2