The Magic of Slash on Axl's Voice

I know Axl's voice isn't perfect, but the I'm just amazed at the way he can consistently sing Jungle, Nightrain, parts at the end to YCBM and even Coma now. It makes me wonder if there is something more going on.  Its just hard to believe he would have intentionally sounded so bad for so long towards the last few years of NuGuns. 

Shania Twain lost her voice after her husband cheated on and left her.  

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/471741/shania-twain-not-only-lost-husband-but-also-voice

Is there some mystical element that has come back to Axl's voice with the return of Slash? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jayrod737 said:

I know Axl's voice isn't perfect, but the I'm just amazed at the way he can consistently sing Jungle, Nightrain, parts at the end to YCBM and even Coma now. It makes me wonder if there is something more going on.  Its just hard to believe he would have intentionally sounded so bad for so long towards the last few years of NuGuns. 

Shania Twain lost her voice after her husband cheated on and left her.  

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/471741/shania-twain-not-only-lost-husband-but-also-voice

Is there some mystical element that has come back to Axl's voice with the return of Slash? 

Explain 2006.

He was on fire! no Slash. I'd go as far as to say that 2006 Axl was the best he has ever sounded (outside of the studio). 

He has definitely improved from what we saw from 2011-2014.

• Like 3

Tru, slash was gone 06 to 10 when Axl sounded good, but that was also when Axl was in great physical shape and was trying to get Chinese out and successful.  So even that is partly due to Slash since Axl was trying to prove he could do it without him.  After 2010 when it was clear Chinese was only going to be moderately successful and could never live up to the hype, Axl just went through the motions and seemed to not care...perhaps thinking a lot about what direction to go in next. Then, Slash calls and says,.... well, this is why we need a press conference! How the heck did they get back together, who said what and when?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rapidfire said:

To be honest, his voice is still very bad. Listened to the full Las Vegas show on Youtube and it was pretty bad. Definitely improved, but still a lot of "mickey mouse" in it. Maybe he should really consider dropping keys on those songs.

I've been pretty skeptical about his vocal potential.... I hate the mickey voice, and thought Vegas 1 especially was pretty disheartening... but the Mexico City gig last night had some seriously impressive moments. 

It seems like he's getting better at finding a middle ground, if that makes sense, between full on rasp vs weak and impotent sounding.

Keep it up, Ax man! :D.

Edited by Ant

Dropping keys will make it far worse, the trouble spots ARE in the mid ranges, dropping keys will just mean he has to use that very weak mid range more often.

It all comes down to one word, motiviation.

He was motivated to kick butt in 2006, possibly also helped by VR doing their thing as well.

He was motivated in 09-10 to kick butt due to CD officially being out and it was the chance to sell it truly to the world.

He was NOT as motivated in 11-14 due to CD not having a big impact, slowly declining audience sizes (more smaller arena shows, etc) and no sign of anything new and interesting on the horzion

He IS motivated in 2016, due to having his old band mates back together, big sellout shows and the ACDC project in the wings.

Pretty clear really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Nothing mystical, just more motivation to dig deeper. Axl's vocals are some of the most difficult in the history of rock and roll. Robert Plant straight up quit even trying to hit the high notes of his early Zeppelin songs before he even reached age 40. Axl is in his mid-50's and still goes for it. Due to his age, he has to dig deeper for the voice we know and love. But it is still in there and that's a great thing. Cherish it because Father Time catches up with everyone eventually.

I couldn't agree more. He is on a bigger stage now, both literally and figuratively and he is clearly pushing hard and is NOT phoning it in. Watching him shake to and fro with energy in his chair makes it obvious.  I agree with the poster above that after watching some of this Mexico City footage that he is starting to hit new strides with his voice and I'm very encouraged for the upcoming Detroit show.

It must be frightening to have such perfectionist fans. :) Just name me one great, legendary band with huge vocalist which sounded spot on every concert. But to be analysing portions of songs where the voice was good and portions where it was not, it's quite insane. Rock N' Roll is a hard thing to do. As far as I'm concerned from what i heard and seen so far from this years shows they sound amazing, much much better than i expected! Axl's voice is even better than the 1991 one and some of 1992. 1993 was a great year for his voice. But back then nobody bothered because he was young and handsome. :) And of course, there was no internet. The same with Slash's playing or tone. People complained about Coachella. Just watch the St. Louis concert from 1991. It's full of mistakes. But Guns have never been about perfection. They were all about great songs, great kick ass rock n' roll attitude. That's what rock n' roll is supposed to be about. It used to bug me when I saw videos of the NUGNR. Some of that guitarists were so perfect in execution, it didn't fit with the Guns. Anyways, great year for us the fans! Cheers! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vicson said:

It must be frightening to have such perfectionist fans. :) Just name me one great, legendary band with huge vocalist which sounded spot on every concert. But to be analysing portions of songs where the voice was good and portions where it was not, it's quite insane. Rock N' Roll is a hard thing to do. As far as I'm concerned from what i heard and seen so far from this years shows they sound amazing, much much better than i expected! Axl's voice is even better than the 1991 one and some of 1992. 1993 was a great year for his voice. But back then nobody bothered because he was young and handsome. :) And of course, there was no internet. The same with Slash's playing or tone. People complained about Coachella. Just watch the St. Louis concert from 1991. It's full of mistakes. But Guns have never been about perfection. They were all about great songs, great kick ass rock n' roll attitude. That's what rock n' roll is supposed to be about. It used to bug me when I saw videos of the NUGNR. Some of that guitarists were so perfect in execution, it didn't fit with the Guns. Anyways, great year for us the fans! Cheers! 

Exactly this.

Some people just want too much and that is unfair and unrealistic. Axl had his bad moments even on the UYI tour. how they expect a 54 year old to be as good or better is insane. He picks and chooses when to use rasp Id imagine to preserve his voice not just for the show, but the long term. 

Also whoever introduced the "mickey term" on this forum fucked up because now everytime he doesnt use rasp, its automatically "mickey vocals" when most of the time Its just that clean voice, but not Mickey..Mickey was the Golden Gods or Bridge School..I cringed watching both of those so bad, I thought Axl was gonna hang it up it was so bad. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Also whoever introduced the "mickey term" on this forum fucked up because now everytime he doesnt use rasp, its automatically "mickey vocals" when most of the time Its just that clean voice, but not Mickey..Mickey was the Golden Gods or Bridge School..I cringed watching both of those so bad, I thought Axl was gonna hang it up it was so bad. 

To me, Mickey Mouse is when it's clean AND he has no power in the voice. Last night with Sweet Child O' Mine, it was a clean vocal but very powerful. If you wanna get technical, it was a more faithful to the studio version than the ultra raspy versions everyone became used to during the Illusion Tour.

• Like 1

I've said it before but imma say it again - Axl sounds better than he did two years ago or whatever because his voice ain't shot, he's just lazy n outta shape, so he can if he tries. 

I mean I can't know for sure, naturally, but I think

12 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

They 100% bring out the best in eachother.  I think that fact probably fueled their feud for so long too. Neither wanted to believe it.

Of course this is one part of the story. Besides that they are working as a team right now, which means all three on par make it easier 4 all, because the pressure is not only on one of them. This should be kind of relaxing 4 each one and as a result, they add to each other and build a real team: Teamwork, more than adding single numbers.

11 minutes ago, john lennon said:

I've said it before but imma say it again - Axl sounds better than he did two years ago or whatever because his voice ain't shot, he's just lazy n outta shape, so he can if he tries. 

I mean I can't know for sure, naturally, but I think

Yeah, we can all be lazy bastards at times, I guess. It's part of our human nature. :lol: