ARE PROMOTERS OR GNR LOOKING FOR A DOUBLE PAYDAY ?

this is just a thought i had, no more than speculation. we have a reunion tour going on this summer with large stadiums selling out, everyone wants to see axl and slash on stage together again.

next year is the AFD 30th anniversary, perfect time for the original 5 to play together again. this would obviously see all those stadiums sell out again, could adler and izzy be held back on purpose for this reason ?

for the 30th they need to do something big like a AFD5 tour but all the sparkle of "for the first time in 27 years" will be lost if they play together now.

also i cant see why izzy would want to be part of this tour, 2 friends had a fall out and stopped talking to each other, type of thing 8 year olds do, just because they are friends again its no reason why izzy needs to jump on a plane and say lets do a world tour to celebrate it. but i can imagine izzy thinking to himself its AFD 30th next year us original 5 must do something. 

• Like 1

I've wondered it myself from time to time but I don't think this is the case for a couple reasons...  It's very apparent Axl isn't wanting to just pretend the Chinese Era never existed and sorry, I just don't see Izzy & Steven doing them.  Izzy wasn't interested in playing songs he wrote so I highly doubt he's interested in learning Buckethead riffs in his 50's.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to the show in Pittsburgh this summer.  I've wanted this for so long and feared it wouldn't happen and actually, like many of you, resigned myself to the idea it wouldn't happen.  I'm thrilled for the chance to see it happen.

Having said that, I don't think I'm paying the sky high price twice if they were to be double dipping.  Maybe I would, but it wouldn't be what this year is.  Taking my wife is gonna set me back over $500 all in and I'm happy to pay it to see what I thought I would never see.  Again, not sure I do it twice.

I would guess that given everything that has happened this year, we will see *something* special next year. I don't think that's going to be a concert with the full AfD lineup, though. IMHO it would be much more likely to be something like a deluxe AfD re-release, or a box set with some rare stuff from that era, or a new DVD of one of the AfD-era shows, or something else they have lurking around in the vault.

Also, Duff's documentary seems to be coming out in 2017, so that could be the focus.

Edited by stella

I think some sort of surprise show with the original 5 where they play AFD in exact order from song 1-12 and then Lies in order (maybe cut out One in a Million...or rework the lyrics... for obvious reasons) would be pretty cool.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

I think some sort of surprise show with the original 5 where they play AFD in exact order from song 1-12 and then Lies in order (maybe cut out One in a Million...or rework the lyrics... for obvious reasons) would be pretty cool.

Fuck a surprise show! I want access to that and would pay big bucks for it... That would be incredible.. Throw in Don't Cry and Civil War as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

I think some sort of surprise show with the original 5 where they play AFD in exact order from song 1-12 

Well, you got me.  I'd probably pay whatever the extortion fee is to see that as well.

I think its quite probable next year they do an original 5 show, may not be more than a special show, but them doing the AFD numbers sounds very plauseable.

For all those suggesting its not...did anyone REALLY think this time last year that slash and duff would be full time GnR members with Axl sounding AND looking as good as he has done and being by in large pretty punctual as well...

4 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think it's a world tour not just a North American Tour. So they will likely play all over during the next 2 years and make Alot more than they would if they did a full AFD reunion tour in the states. 

full tour yes without a doubt. but in 2017 the anniversary of AFD will need some recognition. the big 3 can have a short break in the world tour to regroup with steve and izzy to mark the occasion. 

my fear is they are going to do a one off gig consisting of 3 songs at one of those award ceremonies full of britney spears fans and GNR fans wont see it till its on tv 3 days later. some old story 

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Fuck a surprise show! I want access to that and would pay big bucks for it... That would be incredible.. Throw in Don't Cry and Civil War as well.

But in my opinion it has to be a club gig, no doubt about it. Maybe go to the same building as the famous Ritz show. At least that one holds a lot more people than the Troubadour, but it's still a club environment compared to arenas and stadiums.

Maybe a cool box set of a remastered Appetite;  a live disc with each song in the same order, recorded over the years with the best cut of each song regardless of which lineup it was; maybe a disc of alternate versions (if any even exist- idk); a dvd of old live stuff; some cool artwork... I think the recent Metallica Kill Em All box set is a preview of what me might get...

Don't know, I mean anything is possible but... My guess would be a one off performance.

Do we really want GnR to stay spinning their nostalgic wheels? I mean, sure it would be great and nostalgic if the AFD line up did something, but wouldn't it be better if gnr just released some new music with Slash and Duff? 

Playing entire albums in order can be a but boring too, "I wonder what songs next...".

Not against the idea, but I'd much rather them celebrating the release of AFD with a new blistering album. 

1 hour ago, donny said:

full tour yes without a doubt. but in 2017 the anniversary of AFD will need some recognition. the big 3 can have a short break in the world tour to regroup with steve and izzy to mark the occasion. 

my fear is they are going to do a one off gig consisting of 3 songs at one of those award ceremonies full of britney spears fans and GNR fans wont see it till its on tv 3 days later. some old story 

I think it will be recognized with guest appearances, a AFD remaster release, and maybe a blu Ray release but the current lineup is the touring lineup and I don't foresee that changing anytime in the near future. They seem set until they can tour Europe and South America

Guns could do like metallica and do a 30th anniversary night of gigs, play through loads of material and invite past members up to jam... But, I think they'd need an arena for what I'm thinking.

What I'd really like to see, and think is possible: Remastered AFD with a new booklet (new pics, canter etc), and bonus blu ray with a lesser known live show, or a remixed / mastered ritz 88. And a interview with the original 5 (and Mike Clink, Tom zutaut) talking about the making of, something like classic albums.

On 21/4/2016 at 0:11 AM, Smokin' Cigarettes said:

I've wondered it myself from time to time but I don't think this is the case for a couple reasons...  It's very apparent Axl isn't wanting to just pretend the Chinese Era never existed and sorry, I just don't see Izzy & Steven doing them.  Izzy wasn't interested in playing songs he wrote so I highly doubt he's interested in learning Buckethead riffs in his 50's.

Unfortunately, this