Has Axl proven that he still got it?

On 22.4.2016 at 4:17 PM, Bono said:

Fact: Axl looks(his demeanor) and  sounds more motivated now than he has at any point since 1993. 

I am sorry but that is just your opinion and not a fact. I don't think his demanor has changed much. There are plenty of shows in 2001-2014 where he was just as happy and jolly as he is today. As for how he sounds, if you go by quality of vocals then he sounded better (and hence more motivated?) in 2010 and 2006/2007, in my opinion.

I believe this is all just reunionists seeing and hearing what they want to hear. They desperately want this to be great, and in particular better than what we have had in2001-2014 , so that is what they hear. To me, if this continues 2016 will go down as one of Axl's better years since 2001 but not in any way be outstanding compared to the 90s. It might very well be that the good vocals we are hearing is partly motivated by Axl pushing himself to prove himself because of Slash and Duff returning to the band, but depicting this to be much better than "nuGuns" is wishful thinking and biased feelings.

8 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

Once he's back on his feet, I don't know if he'll be able to sing this good. 

Sing this good? he is miles from 2010.I hope he sing better during the tour.We all know he is singing 70% mickey 30% rasp.Or did the reunion make deaf all the fans.I was mad with his voice in 85-93 and 2006-2010.But now,i dont think he is perfoming that good at all.

The second Vegas show which I was at  I thought he sounded good to great for most of show with the exception of ycbm and pc.Some of the vid's that I've watched from other shows are more of a mixed bag.Like most I wonder what will happen once he gets up on his feet again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rudolf1978 said:

Sing this good? he is miles from 2010.I hope he sing better during the tour.We all know he is singing 70% mickey 30% rasp.Or did the reunion make deaf all the fans.I was mad with his voice in 85-93 and 2006-2010.But now,i dont think he is perfoming that good at all.

We can only compare it to how he was in 2012-2014, but once Axl's running around again, it's going to be the same complaints of how Mickey's back and it's the same setlist night after night. At least with him not moving around as much, they can use these shows for a possible live album later on. Appetite for Democracy DVD wasn't his best moment either. Maybe GNR will put archive "authorized bootlegs" out so the old shows are out there. 

I just watched "Out ta fucking get Me" from last nights show and I think 1987 Axl took over his soul at times... I just watched it 4 times in a row.. That's what I'm talkin about. At 1:15 it sounds like Fortus tries to do Slash's lead fill and fucks them up for a second.

Edited by Tom-Ass

On April 24, 2016 at 11:14 AM, rudolf1978 said:

If you think he's singing 70% Mickey and 30% rasp, then you don't know what Mickey actually is.

i don't disagree that rasp is at 30% or so, but that doesn't mean by default everything else is Mickey and that appears to me to be what you are saying.

some of these songs aren't meant to be and certainly were not recorded and sung in rasp at their onset.

Mickey is literally when his voice sounds like Mickey Mouse and that is happening less than when his voice sounds "raspy". 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

If you think he's singing 70% Mickey and 30% rasp, then you don't know what Mickey actually is.

i don't disagree that rasp is at 30% or so, but that doesn't mean by default everything else is Mickey and that appears to me to be what you are saying.

some of these songs aren't meant to be and certainly were not recorded and sung in rasp at their onset.

Mickey is literally when his voice sounds like Mickey Mouse and that is happening less than when his voice sounds "raspy". 

Fully agree. Clean and powerful is what you hear on Sweet Child studio version. Mickey is when his voice is clean and very weak sounding. It's the combination of clean and weak, not necessarily just clean by itself.

• Like 2

On 24-4-2016 at 3:40 PM, SoulMonster said:

I am sorry but that is just your opinion and not a fact. I don't think his demanor has changed much. There are plenty of shows in 2001-2014 where he was just as happy and jolly as he is today. As for how he sounds, if you go by quality of vocals then he sounded better (and hence more motivated?) in 2010 and 2006/2007, in my opinion.

I believe this is all just reunionists seeing and hearing what they want to hear. They desperately want this to be great, and in particular better than what we have had in2001-2014 , so that is what they hear. To me, if this continues 2016 will go down as one of Axl's better years since 2001 but not in any way be outstanding compared to the 90s. It might very well be that the good vocals we are hearing is partly motivated by Axl pushing himself to prove himself because of Slash and Duff returning to the band, but depicting this to be much better than "nuGuns" is wishful thinking and biased feelings.

I think you got a point here 

I have no misconceptions that ANY of these 2016 shows sound better than my favorite 80s and 90s boots. But having said that, I have officially erased ALL nugnr boots from all my devices (except my hard drive). So even though these new shows might not be as good as the old stuff, I am certain they are better than just about ANY nugnr show, bucket and robin shows included. Sure maybe Axl has some good nights back in 2002 or 2006, but it's not the same. A good night in 2016 is BETTER than anything from 02 and 06 imo. Why? Because it's actually guns n fucking roses playing the songs, that's why. 

Speaking of which, what do we have to do to get some soundboard of these shows????

16 hours ago, tsinindy said:

There was more Mickey The first show but I have been seeing less and less.. At least in the videos I have been choosing to watch.

On 4/24/2016 at 9:40 AM, SoulMonster said:

but depicting this to be much better than "nuGuns" is wishful thinking and biased feelings.

It certainly sounds more like Guns N' Roses than NuGuns did. Even with Frank and Fortus trying to fuck that up.

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It certainly sounds more like Guns N' Roses than NuGuns did. Even with Frank and Fortus trying to fuck that up.

Yes, I agree. Slash brings that. Reducing from three to two guitarists also help to make it more old-school GN'R sounding. But whether these shows are so much better than the shows we had in 2001-2014, as someone seem to think, I am not entirely convinced. Anyway, it is great to see so many fans being happy :)