Red Dead Redemption 2

downzy

18 hours ago, downzy said:

Fuck it, I'm buying it this weekend.  

14 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Add me on PSN if you wanna play RDR2 or GTA V sometime.

Username is same as here.

It's all I'll be playing from here until eternity.

Otherwise, I'll see y'all when GNR decides to give a half a fuck again.

✌️

I broke down and bought it today on the way home from running errands. It's almost done taking forever to install, then I'm all over it.

• Like 4

Took several hours to install last night; so long that by the time it was installed I had to get to bed.  Hopefully get a chance to play it tonight.  A nice feature of the new consoles (I assume PS4 can do this as well) is the ability to install one game while playing another.  Been trying to get to 100 percent on Forza Horizon 2 (free game from Games with Gold a couple of months ago) before delving into RDR2.  

It's a bit of a slow burn at first, but once you're able to dig into it, and you really learn how to play the game (it's incredibly in-depth; Think... The Witcher, but in the Wild West, and even more in-depth than that), it's a gratifying experience.

I hate how much fun I'm having by just hunting and fishing.

• Like 1

About 18% in. Brilliant video game-already cemented as one of my all time favorites. Can’t say enough good about this game- except for having to pay off bounties. It’s realistic but takes away from some of the fun you can have roaming around the map. 9.75/10 though- that’s only a nitpick of mine.

It is the best story of anything I’ve seen since Daredevil (Netflix show) and Logan. Simply incredible. Most of the characters are fully realized and feel like real people. I went into the game thinking “I’m gonna be bad and kill every mother fucker I come across”. I just couldn’t go through with it. Arthur is an amazing protagonist. I was debating to pre order the game the night before it came out, and I’m glad I went with that choice. For those of you who want to know, there are 6 chapters and 2 epilogue chapters. The worst part of the game is riding alone to destinations. In chapter 6 alone I would put it in cinematic view and hold a so it would follow the wavepoint to my destination and during that time I would watch part of Django Unchained(I was in a cowboy mood). I went through 2 hours of Django. I heard that if you upgrade some stuff in the camp you can do fast travel, so I would recommend that. I also love the music (I’m obviously a rock fan but the country and classical music fit perfectly) it goes so well with the places it is put. This is my favorite game that I have played so far, just because of the story.

On 11/20/2018 at 9:19 PM, Wagszilla said:

100%ed it.

Well, I'm at 99% because my game is glitched.

I became less and less of a fan of the game as I played through these additional missions, challenges, etc.

The game just regularly gets in your way of playing it and having fun.

For example, while hunting, I got a wanted level for Animal Cruelty for accidentally walking over a turkey. What the fuck.

Even besides that, there's just a handful of annoying little issues and flaws and questionable decisions.

That's so cool to read, but I'm sure its frustrating in game. I've heard similar comments about the game elsewhere: that its level of detail and immersion is very impressive, but people wonder if taking away gaming accessibility/ease of use is worth it. I'm still eager to play when a PC version comes out.

On 21-11-2018 at 3:19 AM, Wagszilla said:

100%ed it.

Well, I'm at 99% because my game is glitched.

I became less and less of a fan of the game as I played through these additional missions, challenges, etc.

The game just regularly gets in your way of playing it and having fun.

For example, while hunting, I got a wanted level for Animal Cruelty for accidentally walking over a turkey. What the fuck.

Even besides that, there's just a handful of annoying little issues and flaws and questionable decisions.

fun is the most important aspect in a game. it's disapointed to see they sacrificed fun to make the game more realistic. it's easier to make a realistic game, than make a fun game. a developer has to "think" to make a fun game. If the developer wants to go for realism, he merely has to re-create a living environment. that's not hard to do. there is inspiration everywhere. but to make something "fun", now that requires some bit of imagination (and time, and money)

when they release red dead redemption 2 - the arcade edition, I'll be the first in line to buy it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/23/2018 at 8:48 AM, action said:

fun is the most important aspect in a game. it's disapointed to see they sacrificed fun to make the game more realistic. it's easier to make a realistic game, than make a fun game. a developer has to "think" to make a fun game. If the developer wants to go for realism, he merely has to re-create a living environment. that's not hard to do. there is inspiration everywhere. but to make something "fun", now that requires some bit of imagination (and time, and money)

when they release red dead redemption 2 - the arcade edition, I'll be the first in line to buy it. 

I don't know if I agree that natural worlds are easier to develop. I think it depends how deep the developer intends to go with the realism and mechanics. In the case of RDR2, I'd bet it was incredibly difficult to develop such an in depth realistic world. It's perhaps not creative in the same way Bethesda is when they show us a new section of Tamriel or the Wasteland or the new AC with it's very casual accessibility, but it still requires quite a bit of thought and work (and A LOT of time and money).

Edited by OmarBradley

The more I play, the more I continue to be impressed. The attention to detail they put into the world is astonishing. This game is what I always "imagined" when I envisioned a game truly nailing the feel of a "living" world. I like just ridging around on the horse and making my own adventures as much as I like following the story. I agree that it isn't perfect, the witness and wanted system is annoying and should be toned down, the controls are antiquated and clunky at times, and I think a few more random major side missions a-la-Witcher 3 would have been cool, but it almost doesn't matter. This game is about all the little things and details they put in the game, and it is amazing. I appreciate it, and it makes me enjoy it more. The writing and story and combat are all great, too. 

This and Witcher 3 are the games of this generation for sure

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Half an hour to explain your problems with a game?  Okay...

I finally was able to play a bit this week.  I'm blown away by the visuals; Rockstar has created an insanely spectacular game world.  The controls are kind of tricky, especially with respect to accessing your personal items, but that will likely be overcome with more time playing.  I'm only 10 percent in and haven't explored much of the world yet.  Looking to have more time over the holidays to really dig in.

• GNFNR 1