Axl never used to introduce Slash?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic! Not sure what subforum it would belong in...
But have you guys ever noticed that during the UYI tour, Axl seemed to never introduce Slash when he introduced the rest of the band? The band introductions from Tokyo, Paris and one other place (I think it was Chicago) are available on youtube and Axl always skips Slash. Do you guys think this was a respect thing like "you're a main man too so you don't need an introduction like me", or was it because they already hated each other to the point where Axl couldn't even utter his name during the intro? Hate to bring this up when things seem to be going so well with GNR now, but I'm curious!

Not a slight IMO, It's the norm for singers to introduce the band, and IMO it's not a case of if the singer introduces everyone he / she is saying "I'm superior, I'm the big cheese". I'm fairly sure I've regularly heard Axl introduce Slash in the 90s too. He says "this man needs no intro, but I'll give him one anyway!" I think it's a nice spot in the set... although I don't have much love for the godfather theme solo... but that's another story :D

1 hour ago, qwerty123 said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic! Not sure what subforum it would belong in...
But have you guys ever noticed that during the UYI tour, Axl seemed to never introduce Slash when he introduced the rest of the band? The band introductions from Tokyo, Paris and one other place (I think it was Chicago) are available on youtube and Axl always skips Slash. Do you guys think this was a respect thing like "you're a main man too so you don't need an introduction like me", or was it because they already hated each other to the point where Axl couldn't even utter his name during the intro? Hate to bring this up when things seem to be going so well with GNR now, but I'm curious!

Slash was usually introduced separately - before a solo section or a showy intro - but he was alwasys introduced

1 hour ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Damn, I would love it if they played Bad Obsession.  That's probably my favorite underrated song.  It's just such a cool song with a heavy riff, and Axl wouldn't need to exploit his vocals too much.

Would love to hear Bad Obsession too.

1 hour ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Damn, I would love it if they played Bad Obsession.  That's probably my favorite underrated song.  It's just such a cool song with a heavy riff, and Axl wouldn't need to exploit his vocals too much.

I would love to hear it too. I think the biggest problem is who plays the harmonica ? That's why I don't see it getting played. The only way would be bringing Teddy Zig Zag in for it. That's the biggest down side with Melissa. 

I always understood Axl didn't introduce Slash along with the band as a way of saying that he did not need any introductions and sort of was more than a band member. His name was pronounced at other times during the shows but that was more like stating now Slash will do this, not the proper introduction - the guy on the reight is whatever. That kind of introduction Slash did not need according to Axl.

Edited by Asia

Thanks for the input guys.
This was the video that initially threw me off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgTSKQ3nvjQ
band introduction (except slash), matt sorum drum solo after he's introduced, then slash goes into his solo still without an intro. Just seemed weird.
Makes sense that I wouldn't see a special slash intro as alot of youtube vids cut to right at the beginning of a song/solo and stop right at the end...
anyone have a vid of a separate slash intro (minus bad obsession)? maybe before the godfather theme or voodoo child?

Pretty sure Axl used to introduce Slash regularly up until the 90s or so, but after the band got huge and Slash claimed his place within the ranks of the best guitarists ever, Axl probably figured he needed no introduction, plus it was pretty clear that him and Slash were the "kings" of GNR, so not introducing him was a way of solidifying Slash as the other Guns frontman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nonok said:

Pretty sure Axl used to introduce Slash regularly up until the 90s or so, but after the band got huge and Slash claimed his place within the ranks of the best guitarists ever, Axl probably figured he needed no introduction, plus it was pretty clear that him and Slash were the "kings" of GNR, so not introducing him was a way of solidifying Slash as the other Guns frontman.

I think you might be right! I initially thought it was a dig at slash since apparently there was already tension between the two in the 90's...but no matter what was going on backstage, slash and axl seemed friendly on stage during the UYI era doing the back-to-back thing, axl putting his arm around slash while singing...
I guess if the no-introduction topic wasn't brought up until now it was never a big deal!

(and yes, slash did get pretty elaborate intros in the 80's, it stopped in the 90's)