Richard has been in GNR for 16 years quote

31 minutes ago, madison said:

I agree - it was a cringeworthy comment.

Don't get me wrong - I like Richard.

But, this tour is being hyped and promoted as a reunion of the original lineup "for the first time in 23 years" - and the last time I checked, it had not been 23 years since Richard and Frank played. Most fans want to see the guys who wrote, created and played these amazing songs -  and Axl knows that.

So, I think Axl's comment about Richard is his way of trying to defend his decision to keep two guys from the "lost dark" years in the lineup. If he got rid of them, he would be admitting that all of those years were a mistake and waste of time, which would be tough for Axl to do.   

I don't mind him bringing Richard along - but only AFTER all of the guys from the original lineup - Izzy, Steven/Matt - are onboard first. 

imo, axl just said this because the applause for richard was too lame for axl...and because the majority just don't know the guy with the tattoos and big nose...

saying this ... i would also appreciate izzy, steven and matt...but we don't know the real reasons why they ain't in....i also have to admit that frank and fortus doesn't fit in perfectly with axl, slash and duff. its much better than the nugnr era, but its still not perfect. and being honest....i don't need fortus solos. just look at slash's solo in -twat-. its great with only one lead. i would appreciate that for "better", too. it's ok when fortus does his rythym guitar part...but seriously...its all about slash when it comes to the guitar parts. izzy is needed for studio recording and lyrics.

Edited by maxpax
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. I sometimes find it funny what fans get worked up over when the guys in the band couldn't care less. 

No offense, but how do you personally know they don't care? 

A lot of things are inappropriate.

It's inappropriate of diehard classic GNR fans to bring "Where's Izzy" posters to nearly every show and shove it in Richard's face that he's replaceable and a hired hand (which, I mean, can be kinda true, since a classic lineup reunion is 99% of fans' dream, and NuGuns is mostly Axl's solo project). It's perfectly understandable that fans want Steven and Izzy back (myself included) but that sign is just plain rude and disrespectful, and Axl is rightfully pissed and wants to show Fortus some support.

It's also inappropriate, however, to say that in front of Slash and Duff, or at least word it that way. Yeah, he's been in Guns for longer than Slash and Duff, but does that make him nearly as crucial and important as those two, or as anyone from the AFD lineup for that matter? He could have said something along the lines of "He's a fuckin' phenomenal guitar player" or something like that. I get that Axl's on way better terms with Slash and especially Duff and they probably brushed it off without much thought, but it's not really cool to say, in other words, "Hey, show this guy respect, he's never left me, unlike the other guys you've been asking for."

That's just my take on it though.

• Like 1

Are we really discussing this.. Seriously. Stop over analyzing things. If anything I took it as the people complaining about Izzy and what not. Richard has been in the band for ages and rightfully deserves his spot in the band. Simple as that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, madison said:

Matt wrote some of the music from the Illusions era. He was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame for his contribution in helping to make GNR the biggest band on the planet.  

So, comparing Matt and Richard is ludicrous - one was a band member, the other a hired hand. 

Agreed.

Longevity doesn't mean shit in this band.  Funny how Sorum was able to do more for Guns in a couple of years than Richard ever did in his "16" years in the band.

Reason was, like you said, one was a band member, the other a hired hand.

5 minutes ago, madison said:

Matt wrote some of the music from the Illusions era. He was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame for his contribution in helping to make GNR the biggest band on the planet.  

So, comparing Matt and Richard is ludicrous - one was a band member, the other a hired hand. 

But he wasn't Steven - so he was still hired to do a job, regardless of helping making music on the Illusions. What about Gilby? People were crying because he isn't involved too and he was just a hired hand, right?

Richard is on Chinese Democracy, of which they're still playing a few songs from live - songs that he helped create. And he's helping play songs he didn't create. Just like Matt.

If Izzy came back full time I don't think many people would be upset, but it baffles me that people are as upset as they are about Richard and Frank's involvement.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, madison said:

What songs did Matt write?

He was inducted because he was part of the band at their peak and played on three studio albums. He isn't a contributing factor to that success - that's Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy. I'm not trying to knock Matt because I like him, but the way you word it implies they wouldn't have been the biggest band on the planet, which is silly. They could have done it with Adler or any other drummer had they not gone with Matt.

All that stuff was written before Matt came along. He joined the band when they were on the verge of exploding into the huge entity they became. If it hadn't been him, it would have been someone else. Again, I'm not knocking Matt because at this point it's hard to imagine those albums sounding any different, but to say he contributed to the songwriting and success?

There's the Gilby issue too. The guy considered himself a hired hand even though he was a member of the band. On the whole though, he played on one studio album (of covers) and toured with the band. Same with Richard, no? So how does Richard = hired hand if Gilby isn't either?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

But he wasn't Steven - so he was still hired to do a job, regardless of helping making music on the Illusions. What about Gilby? People were crying because he isn't involved too and he was just a hired hand, right?

Again - Matt CREATED some of the music (Illusions) that brought GNR to the top of the music world. This is why he was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame as part of the band.  He was never a "hired hand."

As for Gilby - I haven't seen multple threads "crying" - as you put it - for his return. Where are they?

Gilby was brought in to replace Izzy when Izzy left. And he did a great job. I always thought he could have done great things for GNR if the band has survived long enough to showcase his talents. But he didn't write any of the AFD or Illusions music, so he wasn't an original member. 

Still, to be honest, I always liked Gilby and would actually prefer him to Richard. 

Edited by madison

13 minutes ago, nonok said:

A lot of things are inappropriate.

It's inappropriate of diehard classic GNR fans to bring "Where's Izzy" posters to nearly every show and shove it in Richard's face that he's replaceable and a hired hand (which, I mean, can be kinda true, since a classic lineup reunion is 99% of fans' dream, and NuGuns is mostly Axl's solo project). It's perfectly understandable that fans want Steven and Izzy back (myself included) but that sign is just plain rude and disrespectful, and Axl is rightfully pissed and wants to show Fortus some support.

It's also inappropriate, however, to say that in front of Slash and Duff, or at least word it that way. Yeah, he's been in Guns for longer than Slash and Duff, but does that make him nearly as crucial and important as those two, or as anyone from the AFD lineup for that matter? He could have said something along the lines of "He's a fuckin' phenomenal guitar player" or something like that. I get that Axl's on way better terms with Slash and especially Duff and they probably brushed it off without much thought, but it's not really cool to say, in other words, "Hey, show this guy respect, he's never left me, unlike the other guys you've been asking for."

That's just my take on it though.

Agree with everything you posted.

Edited by ksks12

I didn't think Matt created Jungle, Sweet Child O Mine or Paradise City. Since when were the Illusion albums the ones that put Gn'R on the top of the music scene?

As for Gilby, just about any thread that was created whenever this whole thing started "Why Richard? Why not Izzy or Gilby?!" People complained just as much just because they don't want Richard in the band.

Richard does a great job playing songs he didn't write too. He always does a great job playing songs he did contribute to.

• Like 2

When I saw Guns' in Vegas on the 9th, I was ecstatic to see the "core 3" together after more than 2 decades, but I'd be lying if i were to say that I didn't feel like Richard and Frank contributed to killing some of the energy of that show. Frank's drumming was abysmal, and Richard, while technically proficient, looked out of place and just plain silly when coupled with the alumni. Seriously, how many times can you punch your guitar?

Axl - Please get Izzy and Steven back for this reunion. Like most, I'm really happy that you finally buried the hatchet with Slash & Duff, but Izzy and Steve are also necessities, whereas Richard and Frank are akin to hauling around dead weight. Not meant to offend, but neither of those guys are GNR, and the vast majority, if like myself, probably wouldn't mind seeing them terminated, in favor of bringing back the rest of the alumni. In fact, while in Vegas, i spoke with numerous other fans who wanted to know why these 2 were even part of this tour.

In addition to Vegas, I've already purchased tickets for 2 other dates on the US tour. Not gonna lie, I'll be pretty pissed if the band doesn't drop Richard and Frank at some point. If nothing else, at least put Frank of probation until he proves that he can learn the songs. Also, I'm not sure if I feel like Guns' needs a 2nd keyboardist (or even 1 for that matter), but I' wouldn't mind tapping Melissa, so I'm willing to look past her not being essential either.

• Like 2

Dude has literally been in GnR for 16 years, however way you feel about that doesn't matter. I'm getting sick of people making these blanket statements about fans not liking the CD lineups. There were a lot of people at a lot of those shows over the years. I admit I checked out during the Ashba era but everything before that was awesome. I mean I'm just as happy as anyone else that Slash and Duff are back but I'm not going to act like the other lineups weren't good because they were. And they were actually heavier and more interesting than the original lineup.

Again, not counting Ashba's stint with the band which is best forgotten. Yeah, seeing Axl and Slash play Jungle for the millionth time is great but some of us actually DID like the new band and potential it had to be something great.

4 minutes ago, lightBLASTER said:

Dude has literally been in GnR for 16 years, however way you feel about that doesn't matter. I'm getting sick of people making these blanket statements about fans not liking the CD lineups. There were a lot of people at a lot of those shows over the years. I admit I checked out during the Ashba era but everything before that was awesome. I mean I'm just as happy as anyone else that Slash and Duff are back but I'm not going to act like the other lineups weren't good because they were. And they were actually heavier and more interesting than the original lineup.

Again, not counting Ashba's stint with the band which is best forgotten. Yeah, seeing Axl and Slash play Jungle for the millionth time is great but some of us actually DID like the new band and potential it had to be something great.

Nothing wrong with you liking the "new" band, but that "new" band wasn't GNR for the 95 % of the world. Ok? You get that?

17 minutes ago, James Bond said:

What songs did Matt write?

Matt is credited for the drums on Right Next Door, Dust N Bones, Don't Cry, Perfect Crime,You Ain't the First, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, Double Talkin Jive, November Rain, Teh Garden, Garden of Eden, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, So Fine, Estranged, and You Could Be Mine.  .... Perhaps you missed the Illusions albums?  They're quite good - you should check them out. 

5 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

I didn't think Matt created Jungle, Sweet Child O Mine or Paradise City. Since when were the Illusion albums the ones that put Gn'R on the top of the music scene?

I never use this emoticon - but there's just no other response. :facepalm:

Clearly, you weren't around when GNR was the biggest band on the planet. If you were, you would never have made such a comment. 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is? Where?

Ummm - in every single promotion and ad for the GNR tour.

And before you claim - Oh, Axl had nothing to do with that - please. All marketing and promotion strategies would been approved during the planning process. And if Axl disagreed with any of them, he would have said so.   

17 minutes ago, Gun Shy Assassin said:

When I saw Guns' in Vegas on the 9th, I was ecstatic to see the "core 3" together after more than 2 decades, but I'd be lying if i were to say that I didn't feel like Richard and Frank contributed to killing some of the energy of that show. Frank's drumming was abysmal, and Richard, while technically proficient, looked out of place and just plain silly when coupled with the alumni. Seriously, how many times can you punch your guitar?

Axl - Please get Izzy and Steven back for this reunion. Like most, I'm really happy that you finally buried the hatchet with Slash & Duff, but Izzy and Steve are also necessities, whereas Richard and Frank are akin to hauling around dead weight. Not meant to offend, but neither of those guys are GNR, and the vast majority, if like myself, probably wouldn't mind seeing them terminated, in favor of bringing back the rest of the alumni. In fact, while in Vegas, i spoke with numerous other fans who wanted to know why these 2 were even part of this tour.

Well said.

I couldn't agree more. 

2 minutes ago, madison said:

Matt is credited for the drums on Right Next Door, Dust N Bones, Don't Cry, Perfect Crime,You Ain't the First, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, Double Talkin Jive, November Rain, Teh Garden, Garden of Eden, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, So Fine, Estranged, and You Could Be Mine.  .... Perhaps you missed the Illusions albums?  They're quite good - you should check them out. 

So playing drums equates writing a song? By that logic, Whole Lotta Rosie was written by Phil Rudd.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is? Where?

Come on Soul Monster you are smarter than that. Take for example the Coachella statement confirming GN'R. Axl original member and former members Slash and Duff. Just check the pic GN'R official FB posted yesterday. It`s the AFD logo with Axl, Slash and Duff skulls only. I think it's clear they are promoting this as the Axl, Slash and Duff reunion or regrouping or whatever anyone wanna call it. But it is about the 3 of them