Favorite GN'R drummer

Who's your favorite?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Matt for me. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves, his contributions seem to be downplayed as nothing Alder couldn't do, or Alder would've done better, but bottom line is Matt is the one who DID make the Illusion albums because Adler literally couldn't. Matt deserves every bit the praise and place in GNR history for the Illusions that Adler gets for Appetite.

Edited by Modano09
  • Like 3

I chose Sorum after much thouht. My reason is because I loved the UYI albums. Don't get me wrong I love AFD almost or just as much but I seem to remember way back comments being made about Steven  not being able to evolve where the music was going. I honestly like most of them listed in what they did but Sorum won for the double album. Steven lost out because I believe he had trouble evolving and based off his own comments about what members have said they still think he can't possibly. Frank has played it all so he should have gotten my vote by that technicality. I do like his drumming but Sorums album contributions won out. Brian is a heck of a player too again he only lost out due to the UYI being 2 albums worth.

Its much like I love Slash but Im not a fan of his take on TIL. I like it but not as much as the original.

Edited by BOSSY78
adding
  • Like 2

I grew up with the UYI era.. Matt Sorum is my favorite drummer of GN'R. I like his perfect timing and i like him outside his drumming. He seems like a nice guy and have no problem to contribute something to a song/band. I wish he comes back to GN'R sometime..

Adler comes ofc right behind him. I mean he was the original drummer and his sound was perfect for AFD.

Brain- Technical and solid, but i don´t think he was a good fit in GNR.

Josh freese- good solid can play everything. but no..

Frank BIG NO. nice guy but i hate his playing

• Like 2

Far and away Steven Adler.

I've been a "fan" of Brain since before his GNR days, I think he's a fucking awesome drummer but for Guns N Roses it can only be Adler.

I'd have Sorum in at 2nd, I didn't/don't like a lot of his live performances from the UYI tours but can't complain about his performances on those two albums.

I know Brain copied Freese's work on the CD stuff but I can't factor Josh into the equation. He's a great drummer though, no doubt.

I'm not a fan of Frank in either Axl's GNR or the "regrouped" one either. Even though I think he's a good drummer his playing  doesn't fit GNR to my ears.

• Like 1

Just cast my vote and I'm surprised Frank is so low tbh. He gets criticised, but a lot of people here also defend him. I thought he'd have at least got above Brain. Seems people are just being defensive and don't really rate him. And this is also a low voter turn out, so it seems many people aren't bothered about who the drummer is anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Babooshka said:

Just cast my vote and I'm surprised Frank is so low tbh. He gets criticised, but a lot of people here also defend him. I thought he'd have at least got above Brain. Seems people are just being defensive and don't really rate him. And this is also a low voter turn out, so it seems many people aren't bothered about who the drummer is anyway.

He would have gotten mine if it wasn't for Sorum and the albums he did. I also put Brian up there as well.

My favorite and the guy I would want back is Steven. He's basically the reason I started playing drums. I also love Matt Sorum and would love it if they got him back as well. Brain I also love and he was really cool to have in the band. Frank is sadly my least favorite, I don't hate him but I wish it was one of the other options.

Adler... Well, I don't have ear for technique or anything - AFD is my favorite album overall, not just Guns, so every musician from it is my favorite for GNR :D

I like Frank's powerhitting, wasn't mutch in NuGNR so I don't have an opinion.for Brain. Matt did good job on UYI, and during their greatest touring era...

I'm a little perplexed with all the "Adler is Guns N Roses" type posts that last couple months. I know he's not there and nostalgia is in the air so it's the hot ticket in town to have, but I think that devalues their Use Your Illusion era material substantially. Commercially speaking, and in my opinion artistically, Use Your Illusion at the very least matched that of Appetite. I think it's aging well over time too. It did a lot to expand their catalog which is one of the reasons their music has been sustained in our culture for so long. I know Steven was there when most of the songs were written. What that exactly means, we don't know. But I'll never underestimate Matt Sorum , who for some reason on this forum has always been somewhat neglected by a decent portion of the community. Maybe he just turned too many heads into mashed rice for him to catch on fully. But I think his punchy style was really exactly what those records needed. That doesn't mean Adler couldn't have done it, but Matt did it so to the victor goes the spoils. 

It's just like every time I read "No Adler No GNR" I want to say 'have you listened to November Rain? Estranged? Coma? 14 years? Locomotive?" These are signature Matt Songs, just to name a few, that frankly his drumming is perfect on for the big stadium sound they were going for. Think expansiveness. Don't let the sun go down on me.   I think it's reasonable to conclude that had the Illusions records not come out and Guns ended after lies because Steven was fired, I don't think nearly as many of us are here today.

That isn't to take anything away from Steven because I absolutely love his drumming. He's just not the only one that left an imprint on Guns earlier music.

• Like 1