Email interview with Ryan Corey (Chinese Democracy's art director)

Thank you for joining and posting that  I've always wanted to hear more about the design of GN'R artwork (as I am a graphic designer myself). 

Can I ask, what prompted you to contact Ryan? Are you researching for a project, or thought you'd just try your luck?

The Chinese Democracy artwork is by far the best GN'R album art there is. I checked out his website and am impressed by the work- I've never had the chance to create album artwork at a professional level before, so that was really cool. 

12 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Thank you for joining and posting that  I've always wanted to hear more about the design of GN'R artwork (as I am a graphic designer myself). 

Can I ask, what prompted you to contact Ryan? Are you researching for a project, or thought you'd just try your luck?

The Chinese Democracy artwork is by far the best GN'R album art there is. I checked out his website and am impressed by the work- I've never had the chance to create album artwork at a professional level before, so that was really cool. 

You're welcome!

As you say, I had just try my luck! I've always wanted to know more about this album. So, I contacted him and asked If I could send him the questions. 

I'm a content writer, so I do things like this all the time, haha!

• Like 1

This is really great, thanks for posting this and I have never sent any courier through you, but you did a great job in delivering this to us. 

Edited by Slash787

46 minutes ago, Bicem said:

Nice, does this basically prove a legit version of the hand grenade cover does not exist?

The Grenade cover was supposedly only given to the band/management/etc. and only a few have gotten out, probably one of the 'options' Axl was considering but ultimately got scrapped. All the discs in the Grenade version are just blank silver, I guess 'advance copies' is the term? The artwork is still cool either way.

Would've been great if the red hand were version released on vinyl, that artwork in high-res would be sweet.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

Axl had the bike photo to begin with. My understanding was that he had had it in mind for the cover for a couple of years prior to the album's release. So we had pretty clear instructions that that photo was going to be on the cover. We did many different cover options and eventually Axl settled on the one that was released. After that it was more about figuring out what the rest of the pieces should look like in accordance with the aesthetic of the cover and how to work in all the photos of the band members, lyrics, etc. within the pages allotted. Then there were some very specific instructions as to where some things should appear and the inclusion of the paintings that appear in the booklet etc.

So, the "label fucked up the cover" excuse was bullshit all along....

Anyway, thx for the interview

and yeah, the red hand and the grenade cover is 100 times better than the cycle cover... 

one long night with specific instructions, lol Axl and his "perfectionsim"

Edited by Strange Broue

Red hand and How Are You? are cool but don't fit the music. The bicycle was the right choice, I think it has a lot of meanings and the colour is perfect. Grey green. I like the artworks too, don't care much about all the arts, here we can see all the members.

57 minutes ago, Strange Broue said:

So, the "label fucked up the cover" excuse was bullshit all along....

Anyway, thx for the interview

and yeah, the red hand and the grenade cover is 100 times better than the cycle cover... 

one long night with specific instructions, lol Axl and his "perfectionsim"

I don't know of anyone saying "the label fucked up the cover." I've heard that in regards to the errors in the lyrics in the booklet.

14 hours ago, Slash787 said:

This is really great, thanks for posting this and I have never sent any courier through you, but you did a great job in delivering this to us. 

I'm glad you like it!

Very cool! Also shows just how reclusive Axl was/is and how much he replied on others to get tasks done. No wonder the record took so long to come out. Would love a Red hand copy but they go for over $300US lol.

There's no "cover fuckup". My really, really major gripe with the art of ChiDem is the placedholder flower on the page with the lyrics from Prostitute.

Otherwise, whil I think that the red hand cover is way better than the bike, I find most of the booklet we got really beautiful. The golden reflections are a nice touch.

On 03/06/2016 at 9:01 PM, Sisyphus said:

The album was in the works for 10+ years but the booklet was put together in a matter of days. Typical GN'R.

Thanks for sharing.

The record was under the labels control for just under a year before it's release. I think there was a lot if negotiation and disagreement that ultimately led to the artwork / lyrics getting botched.