DMCA notices sent to Google and other websites targeting unflattering photos of Axl.

On 6/5/2016 at 4:06 PM, maxpax said:

He should delete all vma 2002 pics as well... media used them til 2010 when they wrote about the past 1993 axl.2002-axl-rose-2236126.jpg

This picture gives me the creeps. He looks like he belongs on a little kids show.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

So dumb.

So, so, SO dumb.

I am truly and completely confused by how everything to do with this band is handled.

Right? The most positive press Axl has been getting in years and then this lawsuit happens over a six year old photo. Now the world is laughing again. Meanwhile, the meme makers are just like "challenge accepted."

Admittedly, I've laughed at many of them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Right? The most positive press Axl has been getting in years and then this lawsuit happens over a six year old photo. Now the world is laughing again. Meanwhile, the meme makers are just like "challenge accepted."

Admittedly, I've laughed at many of them.

The creativity involved warrants the laughter. Whomever started this whole dumpster fire doesn't understand that at all.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

GN'R needs to publicly disavow this action, join in on the joke with an Axl tweet, schedule a photoshoot with Axl after he does a bit of dieting, and release the picture so people can see Axl looking badass 2016 and not old photos or paparazzi stuff. 

Going full hermit mode will only fuel this bad press.

There's your free marketing / PR tip of the day.

Agreed on all points except this: They can't deny taking this action when they did it. The absolute best they could do is make a statement saying something along the lines of "Well, that was dumb on our part", then do everything else you just said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

The creativity involved warrants the laughter. Whomever started this whole dumpster fire doesn't understand that at all.

Eh... The best ones have been around forever. It has only been the last two months or so they quit being the main bulk of the comments on any GnR related article that was posted on other sites I frequent. Those articles have been  getting much fewer comments once people quit changing the lyrics to GnR songs to be about food. Even the comments on this particular article were half hearted. 

On 6/5/2016 at 4:15 PM, Lumikki said:

Oh Axl. Doing this will only draw more attention to that picture and the various memes. You can't take on the internet and expect to win.

It's okay, Axl, we've all got unfortunate pictures of ourselves.

It was on the front page of NBC news yesterday.

Not a story about AC/DC, not the reunion tour, but a front page story on the photos he wants taken down.

Never in my life seen someone who works as hard as he does to get in his own way at every chance. He's just never going to get it it seems.

In America freedom of press and freedom of speech are always seemingly under attack according to the media, so the fact that someone is trying to remove something from the Internet is a big deal to them. If Axl wins this case it could turn into a big deal on copyright laws...the only reason Axl might win is bc he's been making the media sign papers stating that the only way they can have access to the show or the band is to give the band the right to proof read anything they write before they release it to the press, and I assume pictures fall under this. 

If he loses everyone will just laugh, but wait to see the reaction if it is removed. 

5 hours ago, downzy said:

I'm going to unlock this as it has received a tremendous amount of news in the last few days without the band, Axl, or anyone connected with the band seeking to clarify the matter.  At this point, one would have to assume this was on behalf of Axl or management considering the crushing news coverage this has received.

While a rep for Guns N' Roses declined to comment, Rolling Stone has confirmed the authenticity of the notice. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/axl-rose-issues-takedown-notice-over-fat-axl-photo-20160606

They say the problem is the picture. I don't think it is. What Axl hates are the derived memes from it. But they can't say it openly.

Removing the picture will not do anything for the memes. He can have it removed from let's say, 10 websites, but there are millions of copies of those memes and millions of copies of the pic that people have in their computers and will keep posting whenever they please.

That's the shit you can't stop and why all of this is useless.

If Axl would lose more weight and style himself a bit better, the picture and the memes would automatically become invalid.

He may have thought it would be easier and faster to have it removed than to actually take time to lose weight. But it won't happen.

Unfortunately the fact of the matter is, on most occasions, is that Axl doesn't photograph well anymore. Besides a couple shots from the GNR shows earlier this year, for the most part he just doesn't look good. Especially on stage photos. If he doesn't lose another 15, 20 pounds that won't change and getting old pictures removed won't stop the ones from next week or the week after.

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

In America freedom of press and freedom of speech are always seemingly under attack according to the media, so the fact that someone is trying to remove something from the Internet is a big deal to them. If Axl wins this case it could turn into a big deal on copyright laws...the only reason Axl might win is bc he's been making the media sign papers stating that the only way they can have access to the show or the band is to give the band the right to proof read anything they write before they release it to the press, and I assume pictures fall under this. 

If he loses everyone will just laugh, but wait to see the reaction if it is removed. 

There is no "case."  It's currently not being challenged.  DMCA notices are being sent and publications are free to follow or ignore them.  It would then be up for Axl and his legal team to bring litigation against those publications and websites (which are growing exponentially as a result of this effort) that refuse to remove the photo.  

It's being reported that the offending photos were taken in Canada by a photojournalist for a Canadian publication.  I've also read that the photographer never signed any documents.  If that's the case, then the laws in Canada are explicitly clear: the photographer owns the rights to the photo (assuming he's freelance and not a staff photographer who forfeits copyrights).  If what's being reported is incorrect, that documents were signed, then Axl would be in the right and this wouldn't result in a "big deal on copyright laws," just a simple application of existing laws.

Again, currently there is nothing by which Axl could win or lose as no legal proceedings have yet been initiated as a result of these actions. It's a fairly straightforward situation that's dependent on whether the photographer of the photos signed over material rights to Axl.  If he did, Axl's in full right to ask for them to be taken down.  Of course, that's a completely different issue than the one that many seem to be concerned with: should he have.  Simply having the legal right to do something doesn't mean one should do it.  

30 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

The last couple of days I've had numerous friends say they had never seen that photo as they are not Guns fans.Now they've all seen it and laughed.Great work Axl...:facepalm:

This.  I've had more friends contact me about the efforts to remove those photos from the Internet than when the reunion was announced.  

• Like 1

And I was getting happy day by day that so many fans are getting pics clicked with Axl and now I see this..........

Fernando........I see you standing.......You think you are so cool.........Why don't you just..............