Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

1 minute ago, TigerBubba said:

I actually met the artist at Hatch Show Print. Went by there and got him to sign it. Basically, it was an old poster they put a skull on. Said it was from the 60's and made it sound like it was a political poster. Said they had to be careful that you not be able to see the person under the skull. I love this litho cause it was my first time seeing GnR with Slash and Duff (saw Axl's group a number of times, passed on seeing them and Metallica in '92 cause the tix were expensive to me in high school then.). Plus, them having Hatch Show Print do it is special. However, I don't think it's the coolest of lithos from this tour (still really wanting a Cinci one, my grail).  The Nashville artist (Corey) told him he was quick to call his folks to say, "I made a poster for GnR!" I've got a pic of him signing, but can't seem to load it

That's cool, dude!  That's the same reason I want one - that was actually my first time seeing GNR with Axl and Slash.  I didn't get to see them back in the day, and even though I actually like Chinese Democracy I held out for the reunion.  I'm not a collector, but I do want the one from that show.

4 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

Did the other auction also steal your photo too? Was it the same seller?

You bought yours personally, so you know they're legit. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I never had my #194 up for sale.  I just noticed someone had a #194 for sale on ebay and brought it to everyones attention on here that it could potentially be a fake.

I mean, I don't doubt it's possible it could be a numbering mixup - after all I've seen multiple anomalies when it comes to litho numbering. I've seen a legit litho numbered like "x/300" when it was actually limited to /250. I've seen the same litho numbered in different colored pens (one was black ball pen, another was blue). A small bunch of Philadelphia 2017 were numbered upside down - Instead of being numbered in the bottom right, the person who was numbering them didn't realize they had the box upside-down, so the ended up being written in the top left of the litho and upside down :lol:

53 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

I don't know what that other seller is doing. I'm guessing he has a real St Louis litho and he's just a lazy motherfucker and stole someone else's photo, because I've seen that happen many times.

Being lazy and stealing the photo is one thing....but he even has the same number in the listing's heading.

Anyway...looks like he has ended the auction early and taken it down.

9 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

I mean, I don't doubt it's possible it could be a numbering mixup - after all I've seen multiple anomalies when it comes to litho numbering. I've seen a legit litho numbered like "x/300" when it was actually limited to /250. I've seen the same litho numbered in different colored pens (one was black ball pen, another was blue). A small bunch of Philadelphia 2017 were numbered upside down - Instead of being numbered in the bottom right, the person who was numbering them didn't realize they had the box upside-down, so the ended up being written in the top left of the litho and upside down :lol:

Your level of knowledge for these things never ceases to amaze me...

1 minute ago, SydneyGnR said:

Being lazy and stealing the photo is one thing....but he even has the same number in the listing's heading.

Anyway...looks like he has ended the auction early and taken it down.

Good - I messaged and asked him to put a legit picture up.  If he goes back up with his own picture of his #196 then I won't cry foul.  BTW - if you are reading this and have a legit #196 then more power to you... on my end it has just been weird seeing two of my numbers up there.  

These litho designs are often complete misses, sometimes great and rarely brilliant (Japan  and Europe legs) IMHO.  Which is good from a personal budget perspective to keep me from being tempted to buy.  Just interesting that when I compare to other acts with gig specific posters.  They don't go with the big name gig poster artists...  Emek, Slater, Sperry, etc.  Wonder if that's a conscious decision...assume so.  Any thoughts on that?

1 hour ago, amaninjapan said:

based on the French silent film "Le Voyage Dans la Lune" (A Trip to the Moon) by Georges Méliès

giphy.gif

Did you know off hand or did you research? Thanks for the info as usual man. I wanna thank you again for all your contributions to this thread. It’s the only thread here that I really enjoy.

46 minutes ago, Flankmank said:

These litho designs are often complete misses, sometimes great and rarely brilliant (Japan  and Europe legs) IMHO.  Which is good from a personal budget perspective to keep me from being tempted to buy.  Just interesting that when I compare to other acts with gig specific posters.  They don't go with the big name gig poster artists...  Emek, Slater, Sperry, etc.  Wonder if that's a conscious decision...assume so.  Any thoughts on that?

Arian Buhler may not be well known, I don’t know, because I never cared about lithos before GNR. But, Arian has definitely made a name for hhimself off This tour. Compared to what I’ve seen from other bands, GNR posters are fucking awesome. Most bands have garbage shit. The only other band that has quality lithos to me is Phish.

Edited by The Holographic Universe

48 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Arian Buhler may not be well known, I don’t know, because I never cared about lithos before GNR. But, Arian has definitely made a name for hhimself off This tour. Compared to what I’ve seen from other bands, GNR posters are fucking awesome. Most bands have garbage shit. The only other band that has quality lithos to me is Phish.

No disagreement about Buhler.  He has done some great...correction brilliant...designs!

Edited by Flankmank

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Did you know off hand or did you research? Thanks for the info as usual man. I wanna thank you again for all your contributions to this thread. It’s the only thread here that I really enjoy.

Now I agree that amaninjapan has been an absolute wizard when it comes to finding the source/inspirations for these images, but surely you all recognized From the Earth to the Moon??  It's iconic and timeless.

Jan_2002.PNG

3 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Now I agree that amaninjapan has been an absolute wizard when it comes to finding the source/inspirations for these images, but surely you all recognized From the Earth to the Moon??  It's iconic and timeless.

Jan_2002.PNG

I didn’t make the connection. I think it’s clever to draw off thy subject matter, but I don’t find it compelling as a litho. But super creative m for sure.

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

knew it off hand. I'm a huge movie buff and every movie buff knows it because it's an iconic image :)