Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

Tijuana really just showcases how much better Arian Buhler is than everyone else.  Why is it hard to just give them all to him and ullie?

Or for that matter just hand off the litho management to amaninjapan who knows GNR, art, and concert art better than anyone else here and let him hit it out of the park.

Edited by liqddynamite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shifting gears just a bit.

The guy and shop that I use for having most of my stuff framed likes to “dry mount” things that have been rolled before framing. This means the litho would be mounted on a conservation quality foam board, but it’s permanently attached to this foam board then framed. The positive of doing this way is that the litho would always be firm and flat and never become wavy. The only negative I can find is that it’s permanently attached to a foam board.

for those who have had your lithos framed, any idea of this was done to yours? Which direction did you go?

Thanks in advance!

25 minutes ago, TigerBubba said:

Shifting gears just a bit.

The guy and shop that I use for having most of my stuff framed likes to “dry mount” things that have been rolled before framing. This means the litho would be mounted on a conservation quality foam board, but it’s permanently attached to this foam board then framed. The positive of doing this way is that the litho would always be firm and flat and never become wavy. The only negative I can find is that it’s permanently attached to a foam board.

for those who have had your lithos framed, any idea of this was done to yours? Which direction did you go?

Thanks in advance!

Permanent mounting is good for, well - exactly that - permanently mounting something that you have no intention of ever needing to be remounted or reframed. Most framing places really just offer this as a genuinely permanent solution - they use a proper permanent adhesive that is not designed to be ever removed. This is good for photo prints and the like because it gives the artwork a firm foundation for mounting. If it ever gets damaged, fuck it - just print out a new copy of the photo and mount/frame again. It's not really the best solution for an item that is rare/unique or has some other non-replaceable value. It is however good for delicate or damaged art that needs to be stabilized to prevent further deterioration. But other solutions require more talent (which simple framers sadly don't have) or more money (which simple fans sadly don't have).

More sophisticated solutions involving fully-reversible techniques and soluble adhesives that can be removed later if necessary, but these obviously require more of a master touch. But the end result is non-destructive and fully reversible. One solution is referred to as Japanese hinging or museum hinging. Essentially it uses small pieces of washi kozo (Japanese mulberry fibers) that are glued to the back of the piece of art (which is fully reversible with a solvent) and then the other end of the hinge is glued to a mounting board that is usually hidden by the matboard. This way, the piece of art is very well stabilized and provides multiple options for framing without the process being irreversible.

eclinUt.jpg

framepackage.jpg

This solution is obviously more expensive due to the skill and resources required, as well as the time involved.

Suggesting that something be permanently mounted just because it's been rolled seems...excessive. I've dealt with hundreds of lithos and prints over the years and I assure you, there's plenty of ways of making it flat and that permanent mounting is almost certainly not necessary, especially for one of these GNR lithos. You don't have to go to the effort of museum hinging, but I would definitely suggest not permanently mounting your litho.

Edited by amaninjapan
  • Like 1

^^ What he said.  I would NOT dry mount these lithos. 

You don't need to, use regular matt board and they are going to be flat and will look great with no permanent sacrifice.

As amaninjapan said, the best application for dry mounting is for things are that damaged.  I have an original 1970s Hendrix Poster (the psychedelic one thats in the Doors movie).  I bought it in lousy shape off of ebay 18 years ago, it even had a big tear in it.  The guy who dry mounted it and framed it did an amazing job, 18 years later it still looks brand new.  

3 hours ago, owenstar said:

Yes sir! Taking my kids to this one. So excited for them. I live in SLC. First time not in the pits, but it will be a blast.

Awww, have a blast....I don't live there in SLC but go at least once a year. Kinda bummed cause I just left there! Oh well. At least I got to see them twice on this tour. Please give us a review if you can and enjoy! :headbang:

oh and just in case anybody didn't believe me when I said Tijuana was a Buhler, he just confirmed on Instagram:

Just now, Tourettes2400 said:

Wow! I wasn't aware that Arian was the one who designed this. I like almost all of his previous designs.

Are you still not reading Lithorati? I had Arian Buhler listed as the artist before GNR was even on stage! ;)

8 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

oh and just in case anybody didn't believe me when I said Tijuana was a Buhler, he just confirmed on Instagram:

Are you still not reading Lithorati? I had Arian Buhler listed as the artist before GNR was even on stage! ;)

You got me, I clicked on it while at work, and said I need to look at this when I get home. So, no, you caught me again. :lol: I do like to look at it, it has just been a long time :lol:

I really do hope he does both Vegas lithos this year. He is really talented and I would love to finally buy one of his lithos at a show.

Edited by Tourettes2400

1 hour ago, marlingrl03 said:

Awww, have a blast....I don't live there in SLC but go at least once a year. Kinda bummed cause I just left there! Oh well. At least I got to see them twice on this tour. Please give us a review if you can and enjoy! :headbang:

Will do! I saw them a couple weekends back at ACL, it will be nice to get the full set rather than the festival shortened version. I will be further away from the stage than I have at any of my other 4 shows, but with the kids will have a pitch count on drinks hahaha. 

14 minutes ago, Tourettes2400 said:

You got me, I clicked on it while at work, and said I need to look at this when I get home. So, no, you caught me again. :lol: I do like to look at it, it has just been a long time :lol:

I really do hope he does both Vegas lithos this year. He is really talented and I would love to finally buy one of his lithos at a show.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be cheeky :lol:

I can't confirm or deny which lithos he's doing but my gut feeling is he will do the last Vegas show, at least. He's done a litho for the last show of each major leg (NA 2016, Japan, Australia, Asia, Europe 2017, NA 2017, Europe 2018, Asia Pacific 2018)... it would be a shame for them not to go out with a Buhler bang as usual!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, owenstar said:

Will do! I saw them a couple weekends back at ACL, it will be nice to get the full set rather than the festival shortened version. I will be further away from the stage than I have at any of my other 4 shows, but with the kids will have a pitch count on drinks hahaha. 

I've been looking at the setlists, albeit not in detail - but I got the feeling that the setlists have been almost identical in length regardless of whether it's been a venue show or festival. They played 28 songs at Louder Than Life, which is a lot more than any other this leg, but it's been a solid 22 to 24 songs ever since then at both festivals and non-festivals.

2 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be cheeky :lol:

I can't confirm or deny which lithos he's doing but my gut feeling is he will do the last Vegas show, at least. He's done a litho for the last show of each major leg (NA 2016, Japan, Australia, Asia, Europe 2017, NA 2017, Europe 2018, Asia Pacific 2018)... it would be a shame for them not to go out with a Buhler bang as usual!

I agree, they have to go out with a bang, especially after some of the ones that have been on this leg. 

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

Ulrich Planer did some designs based on paintings, didn't he?

I thought he did the Winnipeg and Gorge 2017 ones, off the top of my head...

Ulli did Winnipeg and Gorge but they weren't based on fine/classical art paintings. Winnipeg was based on a tourism brochure and Gorge was based on a digital illustration by another artist.

Just now, Tourettes2400 said:

I agree, they have to go out with a bang, especially after some of the ones that have been on this leg. 

Am I selfish if I am secretly hoping nothing ever beats the 4-hour Forum show in Los Angeles in 2017? Since I was there? :P

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, amaninjapan said:

Am I selfish if I am secretly hoping nothing ever beats the 4-hour Forum show in Los Angeles in 2017? Since I was there? :P

No, I would feel the same way, but I am going to be in Vegas, so I hope it goes 4,and has the greatest lithos ever from Mr.Buhler :lol: I am also realistic,so i am not actually thinking either will happen:lol:

Edited by Tourettes2400

20 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

I've been looking at the setlists, albeit not in detail - but I got the feeling that the setlists have been almost identical in length regardless of whether it's been a venue show or festival. They played 28 songs at Louder Than Life, which is a lot more than any other this leg, but it's been a solid 22 to 24 songs ever since then at both festivals and non-festivals.

You would be surprised then. It's mostly the covers that get dumped. Like black hole sun. And one of my favorite parts of the NiTL, wish you were here. We also didnt get patience. I dont know much about louder than life, but ACL being in a city park, has noise regulations and a curfew I didnt know about before arriving.

Maybe I got spoiled by the 30ish song set in Hawaii?