Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

17 minutes ago, facefirst said:

It’s funny you said earlier that you don’t care what people think but then you write this diatribe to defend yourself. Seems like the person who should get over themselves is you, my man. 

if the Arlington poster was so atrocious then why did you buy it?  Vote with your dollars. Thanks for the purchase, though. 

I don’t have to defend myself. I care what people think. I care what you think. Its not a diatribe. It’s a response. I legally reproduced your art and you overacted in dramatic fashion. Arlington was total uninspired shit and you don’t get paid for lithos sold. I had five people ask me to purchase lithos for that show and all bailed when they saw your finished product to include zosorose. 

10 minutes ago, facefirst said:

You did?  I must have missed the email where I gave you permission to print it.  I'll check my inbox.

It’s not required. I don’t owe you shit. There are laws that allow it. I already told you Staples allows one reproduction of trademarked/copywrited material. That’s a huge corporation with liabilities, so I’m certain their stance is legal legit. Stop playing the victim and get over yourself. And stop pretending you haven’t downloaded a song illegally. You’re being pretentious AF.   

Edited by The Holographic Universe

14 minutes ago, Mcs953 said:

I am in, can we get a count and go from there to determine price?

https://www.artistsnetwork.com/art-business/copying-artwork/

didn’t realize this was China where you can rip off somebody’s intellectual property, I sure wouldn’t brag about it if I was doing it, can we get back to the lithos please?

Pfttttt. China. Whatever man. It’s the internet and your opinion means nothing. Your talking to the 20 people In the world who give a shit. 20 people who care about GNR lithos. Your fucking ridiculous because this whole site has been downloading leaks for months with a sense of entitlement and want to hang your head on one artist. Maybe you now see why some people were banned from concerts. The ducking hypocrisy is absurd.  

Edited by The Holographic Universe

30 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Pfttttt. China. Whatever man. It’s the internet and your opinion means nothing. Your talking to the 20 people In the world who give a shit. 20 people who care about GNR lithos. Your fucking ridiculous because this whole site has been downloading leaks for months with a sense of entitlement and want to hang your head on one artist. Maybe you now see why some people were banned from concerts. The ducking hypocrisy is absurd.  

I've downloaded leaks, but if Axl Rose came on here saying he'd sell me his songs I'd gladly pay for them. And I will the moment he releases any music.

As for the copy you had made, I have no idea about the specific laws, nor do I really care, but I think you could show some decency instead of insulting the artist.

• Like 2

This is getting kinda crazy. If I may play peacekeeper:

Holographic Universe,  “FaceFirst, I think the design you did was fantastic and I had a copy made at a Staples. It’s for my use only. I don’t have any ill intentioned use for it, but I recognize it is your art and I’m happy to pay a fair fee for use of it.”

I don’t know what FaceFirst’s response would be in this case, but as we say down south, “you’ll catch a lot more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.”

now, what’s been on my mind...with the artwork over the last three years, the huge surge in vinyl, and my hopes of new music, I dream of a world where we get an album with gatefold with some of the greatest album art of all time!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lio said:

I've downloaded leaks, but if Axl Rose came on here saying he'd sell me his songs I'd gladly pay for them. And I will the moment he releases any music.

As for the copy you had made, I have no idea about the specific laws, nor do I really care, but I think you could show some decency instead of insulting the artist.

I'll say now, I bought a bootleg litho shirt. I really wanted one from the gig I went to, but couldn't get it, despite being one of the first in. Seriously annoyed me as I loved the design. The bootleg I got is good quality, at a decent price. 

I sort of feel bad for not supporting the artist (I'm a firm believer in paying for creative arts) but there was literally no other way to obtain it.....if there had been, I'd gladly have taken it. 

Isn't this similar to a lot of people's attitudes to the leaks? Is it ok to get a bootleg if the item is totally unavailable? Anyone got any thoughts? 

Edited by allwaystired

2 minutes ago, TigerBubba said:

now, what’s been on my mind...with the artwork over the last three years, the huge surge in vinyl, and my hopes of new music, I dream of a world where we get an album with gatefold with some of the greatest album art of all time!

Amen. I miss real album art. I buy old records just to stare at the art. 

2 minutes ago, facefirst said:

Amen. I miss real album art. I buy old records just to stare at the art. 

same here,  miss walking record stores and staring at artwork covers and picking vinyls up just on the cover alone not the music.

miss the good old days of music shopping, long gone are them days. records shops few and far between now, sadly.

11 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Im comfortable with my decision. There is literally no scenario in which this harms you at all, and there are plenty of scenarios where I’m correct.  Save me the speech about IP. I’m certain you’re guilty of downloading music for free or some other scenario close to pirating, so get off your high horse. Unethical? Please. As if you live your life with some high minded sense of ethics. I don’t need to look right or correct on the internet, to you or anyone else. I live in a very small town in Oklahoma and your art and vision will be represented. If that’s some huge transgression to you then whatever. Get over yourself. And refund me for the atrocious Arlington design. 

Dude shut the Fuck up

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'll say now, I bought a bootleg litho shirt. I really wanted one from the gig I went to, but couldn't get it, despite being one of the first in. Seriously annoyed me as I loved the design. The bootleg I got is good quality, at a decent price. 

I sort of feel bad for not supporting the artist (I'm a firm believer in paying for creative arts) but there was literally no other way to obtain it.....if there had been, I'd gladly have taken it. 

Isn't this similar to a lot of people's attitudes to the leaks? Is it ok to get a bootleg if the item is totally unavailable? Anyone got any thoughts?

Yeah, I get that. I mean I assume none of us are totally innocent, but in this case it's a bit harsh when the artist is among us.

Plus, this isn't a billion dollar operation we're talking about, but one artist. It might be hypocrite to say one thing's less bad than the other, but it feels different to me at least.

When there are decent pics of shows they're always watermarked. I guess now I see why that's necessary. It's a shame someone shares their artwork as this is a thread with lots of dedicated litho fans and it's immediately 'stolen'. Who knows, maybe it's on eBay already sold by someone in Asia. I just feel if you're in this thread, you could at least ask the artist for permission to have a copy made.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lio said:

Yeah, I get that. I mean I assume none of us are totally innocent, but in this case it's a bit harsh when the artist is among us.

Plus, this isn't a billion dollar operation we're talking about, but one artist. It might be hypocrite to say one thing's less bad than the other, but it feels different to me at least.

When there are decent pics of shows they're always watermarked. I guess now I see why that's necessary. It's a shame someone shares their artwork as this is a thread with lots of dedicated litho fans and it's immediately 'stolen'. Who knows, maybe it's on eBay already sold by someone in Asia. I just feel if you're in this thread, you could at least ask the artist for permission to have a copy made.

That’s pretty much my sentiments too. 

6 minutes ago, Lio said:

Yeah, I agree. Personally, I don't want to do anyone down, and I know how hard it is to make money out of anything creative. 

What seems a shame to me is that the artists who did this stuff can't take their art beyond the very limited runs it received (the shirts/lithos at the gigs, where supply is less than demand). I don't know what financial arrangements went on though, and maybe the artists are very happy with the financial compensation they got from producing work simply for a very limited run. And I suppose a lot of the appeal of the lithos is wrapped up in their 'one night only' production. 

I've said many times too that I would love some sort of coffee-table type book of all the art from the entire tour. That would be a fantastic thing to produce. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, facefirst said:

Financial stuff varies from merch company to merch company.  I always get paid a submission fee and if it's approved then there's an approval fee on top.  Now some merch companies throw in a number of artist proofs.  Usually between 25-50.  That's nice because that creates income on the back end (I don't know why that phrase made me laugh) for me since I'm free to sell them.  Some merch companies, like the one that handles GNR don't give artist proofs.  It's not ideal but it's ok since my submission/approval fees are much higher than other companies.  They also still float a few posters my way.  Sometimes it's one and sometimes it's maybe three.  I always frame one for myself and put it up in my basement.  It's a cool reminder of things I've done.

Hi, I’m just curious, are the couple that they float your way also numbered or are they additional copies to the say 1/200 from the actual concerts.

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

It’s not required. I don’t owe you shit. There are laws that allow it. I already told you Staples allows one reproduction of trademarked/copywrited material. That’s a huge corporation with liabilities, so I’m certain their stance is legal legit. Stop playing the victim and get over yourself. And stop pretending you haven’t downloaded a song illegally. You’re being pretentious AF.   

Shockingly disrespectful

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Hi, I’m just curious, are the couple that they float your way also numbered or are they additional copies to the say 1/200 from the actual concerts.

The couple aren't numbered.  When I get a big number of them they're always numbered.  Sometimes it's their own series or sometimes they're taken from the actual show stock.  It all depends on the company I'm working with.

2 hours ago, facefirst said:

If someone wants to head this up I'd be down with that.  Once I have an official headcount I can figure out pricing and payment arrangements. 

I'll volunteer to head this in terms of helping FaceFirst coordinate logistics.  As of now, I have 5 people who would be interested (nycgunner, Mcs953, ZoSoRose, alangarcianr, rossco).  Assuming we get critical mass for FaceFirst, I can help coordinate names, mailing addresses and email addresses.  Or if easier to protect people's privacy, I'll keep a list of user names and then we/FaceFirst can create a private Google Doc (or something) so only FaceFirst gets in the contact details.  For example, I have no interest in getting anyone's personal details, but I am happy to help facilitate since I suggested this idea.

Thanks!

• Like 2