Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

19 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

You were at the first show. What was your thoughts on seeing the litho? Did you purchase before or after the show? What’s the story?

Oh that reminds me, I got this as a gift from a friend. If this isn't enough motivation to frame up the Troubadour lithograph then I don't know what is

tI8fsCz.jpg

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Wow 1
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got all the lithos from the shows I've been to so far up in my basement music room    

Thank you to everybody who helped make this possible. You know who you are

Maybe some of you would like to see a poster design that went unapproved.  I figure it would be fun to see.  This was supposed to be for the Vegas shows for tomorrow and Saturday.  Since there hasn't

Posted Images

On 9/24/2020 at 10:39 PM, The Holographic Universe said:

Finding beauty in flaws is vastly different than condition issues. The 150 print run doesn’t matter. There are sports cards with 25 print runs and damaged corner affects value. And the Mona Lisa, come now, surely you jest with that comparison. 

Sorry dude, I completely whiffed on explaining that. I understand how condition effects value in a collector world. I was only speaking for myself, that if I owned the only dinged Kobe, I would be just as happy and proud of it as the dude who has one mint. Its just how I am wired. Due to it being limited, it just wouldn't bother me like it does "normal" collectors. Value has nothing to do with MY collection. Thats all I meant.

The Mona Lisa thing is from the movie/book Fight Club. It struck a cord with me many moons ago.

Now that I have played therapist with myself and opened the door to many bad choices with women, I'm going to see my self out hahaha.

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, owenstar said:

Sorry dude, I completely whiffed on explaining that. I understand how condition effects value in a collector world. I was only speaking for myself, that if I owned the only dinged Kobe, I would be just as happy and proud of it as the dude who has one mint. Its just how I am wired. Due to it being limited, it just wouldn't bother me like it does "normal" collectors. Value has nothing to do with MY collection. Thats all I meant.

The Mona Lisa thing is from the movie/book Fight Club. It struck a cord with me many moons ago.

Now that I have played therapist with myself and opened the door to many bad choices with women, I'm going to see my self out hahaha.

Fight Club is one of my favorite films, the reference wasn't lost on me :) It's one of my favorite lines along with "I felt like destroying something beautiful"

I think there can be beauty in a damaged item, especially so if it comes with a story. A bit like how crazy watch collectors pay top dollar for totally busted vintage Rolexes when they come with a cool back story. I distinctly remember the story about the guy who listed his completely busted up Rolex on Ebay for 9.95 and it ended up selling for $66k

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/man-lists-james-bond-rolex-9-95-sells-it-66-flna126106

rolex-submariner.png

Completely beat to shit but it comes with an amazing back story! The guy was retired Navy, bought the watch out of necessity and then used it daily for the next 35 years of his life.

That Kobe is obviously nowhere nearly as damaged so I'm guessing it will attract plenty of bids.

Edited by amaninjapan
  • Wow 1
5 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Kobe sold yesterday on ebay for $4400. The seller should be very happy (even after ebay takes their share) and thanking the previous bidders for inflating its value lol

Gotta also keep in mind that one was slightly damaged even though the seller listed it as in excellent condition.

• Like 1

Anyone see the new pinball machines? One of them has the lithos all over it, including your chance to own a Kobe haha. I loved the original gnr pinball machine and considered it a grail. These new ones based on NiTL are pretty dope! pinball

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all. Does anyone on this thread have any Litho's for sale? I went to the Brisbane show but being in Australia there weren't many shows here to collect. Would love help on any lithograph really

10 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I always have an issue with this, how do i post a picture on here. I have it hosted through one of those websites but when i try to insert the link, the screen wont go through. Does that mean its a sizing issue? Its not giving me any info.

Did you get Kobe?

10 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I always have an issue with this, how do i post a picture on here. I have it hosted through one of those websites but when i try to insert the link, the screen wont go through. Does that mean its a sizing issue? Its not giving me any info.

And this site is difficult for posting pics.

7 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Beautiful. Where is this hanging on your home? Did you purposefully leave the bottom white border exposed so the numbering shows?

Thanks!

As of now i have it in the hallway leading to the basement. Only place I could convince the wife to display them.

And yes on the question about the border. I have standard 18x24 frames for all my other lithos that work fine but this one seemed to bubble up when I tried to put the back of the frame on. So I took it somewhere to get framed and this was the end result.

I put a gold border around the frame and it really makes it stand out when its on the wall with the others in the set.

23 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Thanks!

As of now i have it in the hallway leading to the basement. Only place I could convince the wife to display them.

And yes on the question about the border. I have standard 18x24 frames for all my other lithos that work fine but this one seemed to bubble up when I tried to put the back of the frame on. So I took it somewhere to get framed and this was the end result.

I put a gold border around the frame and it really makes it stand out when its on the wall with the others in the set.

The gold inlay is perfect. Does you wife know what you paid for it? Did you have to make wild compromise to justify the purchase?

13 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

The gold inlay is perfect. Does you wife know what you paid for it? Did you have to make wild compromise to justify the purchase?

Haha. Believe it or not, she was the one who told me to pull the trigger. I wouldnt of ever went there, but she was the one who told me to do it when I scoffed at $2,000 a few years ago. I should have listened to her then lol. She knows I dont buy anything for myself and this was the one thing I wanted more than anything else. You have to buy it when its it's available. Like our very own "god of lithos" @amaninjapansaid, "you never know when the last kobe will be for sale". And those words resonated.

2 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Haha. Believe it or not, she was the one who told me to pull the trigger. I wouldnt of ever went there, but she was the one who told me to do it when I scoffed at $2,000 a few years ago. I should have listened to her then lol. She knows I dont buy anything for myself and this was the one thing I wanted more than anything else. You have to buy it when its it's available. Like our very own "god of lithos" @amaninjapansaid, "you never know when the last kobe will be for sale". And those words resonated.

That’s awesome man. Sounds like a cool woman. And, when the “Lord of Lithos” speaks you just adhere to his wisdom. And he’s correct, with print run of 150, and most knowing what they own, how many will we see on the open market in the future. By the way, I scoffed at 2k during that time. 

Wow, lithos trading at 2 large already... And I thought I was acting silly coughing up 300 quid for London's Ripper a couple of years ago.

But 2 grand for a litho - that puts Dutch tulip mania to shame :) Or may be it just the Economics major in me speaking :) 

Edited by Alexpro
1 hour ago, Alexpro said:

Wow, lithos trading at 2 large already... And I thought I was acting silly coughing up 300 quid for London's Ripper a couple of years ago.

But 2 grand for a litho - that puts Dutch tulip mania to shame :) Or may be it just the Economics major in me speaking :) 

2 grand was the price in 2018 lol. We were saying that we should have popped when that was the number. But it was a good lesson to learn, no matter how expensive it was. 

I may be completely wrong but I've always assumed the people that would seriously consider buying this would be way under what you would need to be profitable to do even a limited printing. I could be completely off, but i feel like people inside our bubble would loelve it but who knows about outsiders. I wonder how the tour book sold?

7 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I may be completely wrong but I've always assumed the people that would seriously consider buying this would be way under what you would need to be profitable to do even a limited printing. I could be completely off, but i feel like people inside our bubble would loelve it but who knows about outsiders. I wonder how the tour book sold?

I agree with you. It’s a niche market and unlike other bands like Pearl Jam or Phish, for example, who have years and years of collecting concert posters, GNR just have this one tour.

On 11/16/2020 at 6:35 PM, uzi your illusion said:

Doing the litho book would be right up the alley of Taschen - it's a German publishing house, which specializes in exclusive, limited edition printed books with a hefty price tag. 

For example, here's their book on Alex Steinweiss (inventor of modern album cover) with the collection of his works

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/music/all/05039/facts.alex_steinweiss_the_inventor_of_the_modern_album_cover.htm

Edition of 1500, 1000 bucks each

I bet they could sell at least as many copies of the litho collection for at least as much per book.

That's easy money for the band's management - they're leaving it on the table now