Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

7 hours ago, amaninjapan said:

Just curious... how old are you?

I can definitely understand people thinking it looks like Chinese Democracy artwork - after all they both deal with communism. But this type of communist iconography vastly predates Chinese Democracy. The lookalike Cyrillic script should also be a dead giveaway (backwards characters like И and Я) seeing as that's clearly Russian - after all, Chinese posters use Chinese characters!)

This is an example of a Russian Communist propaganda poster from nearly 100 years ago:

slide_391940_4775268_free.jpg

I only ask about your age because I can imagine that if you're in your late 20s or younger, then you might not have any memories of the cold war and how prominent it was to use Cyrillic script to give that 'soviet feel' to a poster or a movie. Back then, if you wanted to give the feeling of communism, you went with Soviet imagery. Red Dawn, Hunt for Red October, Red Heat, Spies Like Us, Rocky IV, all those sorts of movies fell back on Russian cold war imagery and Cyrillic script:

tumblr_n69mtvoWen1qbapgqo1_500.jpg

And it wasn't even restricted to English language culture. Even the Germans went with Cyrillic script in the 80s and 90s to promote movies about Soviet communism!

dolph-lundgren-poster-red-scorpion-1988-

These days, it's China that tends to be the first country younger people might think of when they think of 'red Communism' but definitely for anyone old enough to remember life during the cold war, that second Prague poster should scream European communism, not Chinese Democracy :D

I'm old enough and really interested in the USSR era culture so no news here.

Your point is legit, there's nothing wrong with that litho, it's a nice historical reference that perfecly fits the spirit of this tour's other lithographs. But the CD era reminder is just too obvious for me to enjoy it.
I actually have to same issue with this forum's style, I wish it could be updated to get rid of that atrocious banner.

It's nice to see more people coming out of the woodworks that have access to most/all of these lithos.

As always, I'm imploring people that have them to help me maintain the Lithograph archive with high res, clean, clear pics of the ones I'm missing!  Some of them I have really shitty pics for cause that's all I could find....please PM me if you can help!  Thanks!

13 hours ago, UK_GNR said:

Good day to you all - I am new to this forum although used to look quite a lot at some great advice and information.

There is a worrying trend with these limited edition litho with bands being sold for great profit on eBay. It can only go to promote the higher sale price and also the soaking up of copies keeping them out of the hands of those fans going to shows.

One seller on eBay has been getting £350+ for at least three of the London shows and amazingly getting equally eye watering sums on Eddie Vedder ones from last month or so.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/wifeybebi1210/m.html?item=172738630581&hash=item28380653b5%3Ag%3AVsAAAOSw3YJZRlNv&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

I was lucky enough to have been to London Stadium a fortnight before to see Depeche Mode so knew there was a merch stall outside so I could buy one (and Ripper t-shirt) and take back to hotel, so I could enjoy gig without trying to keep safe and unspoilt. Never crossed my mind but I could have bought 10/15 of the Litho's and as many t-shirts as I could carry to sell on at a profit.

Got tickets for MSG in October and imagine they may be harder to come by!!!

On recent US stadium tour Metallica put some on sale the next day or so on artist website so at least there was a second chance.

I agree that it's getting ridiculous - regular guys looking for lithos get cornered by scalpers... You shouldnt be able to charge 10 times the price on ebay just because you were there early

1 hour ago, Alexpro said:

I'm happy to chime in and shed a bit more light on the origin of the Czech "Soviet-inspired" litho.

It's a direct take on a very famous Russian (Soviet) advert from 1924, which I post for your convenience below. It's hard not to see that the GNR's litho retained the key elements of this work.

3c6c383a2facc500a1df251fcf69ce8c_i-43.jp

For those of you who wonder as to the meaning of the original poster - it has no ideological or communist angle whatsoever. This is basically a commercial advert, promoting Lengiz - Leningrad (now St Peterburgh) publishing house. It's an instant classic of an era which is why I recognized it. It's author is Alexander Rodchenko - renowned father of Russian graphic design (you can read more about him on Wiki if you want).

As to why GNR would pick Russian art work for the inspiration for the Czech show is a bit beyond me - honestly, Czechs hate all things reminding them of the Commie era and most things Russian... Probably a bit of an artistic oversight :)

Finally, I'd be happy to buy this litho if anyone has a spare for sale - been keeping an eye on ebay but nothing ha surfaced since the show... Cheers

Wow!!! Great extra information on this litho!! :headbang:

Maybe GN'R thought everybody was a happy communist back then, haha.... I know they don't like it to be reminded of that time. That's why they fought to get rid of it but somehow the stigma remains.

Anyway, the lithos are very interesting but without this background information I can see why people just dismiss them or think they are not cool enough.

I hope there is a website that would compile all the lithos from this tour and also add context to them. That'd be fucking awesome.

The pop-up Paris store has one Paris t-shirt design (I don't like it though) and you can have the "romantic moon" one at the gig only (I would have bought this one if I had been to the gig, awesome design).

Very disappointed by the pop-store overall, took me hours to get there thanks to the terrible traffic in Paris, and ended up buying nothing.

The designs aren't very original, nothing eyecatchy, nothing where I really wanted to buy anything.
And the prices are fkin ridiculous. 40 euros for a random Gn'R shirt? Are you serious? 40 euros for a cap? LOL

The jeans Jacket was cool but 250 euros... No way. Coming from a huge hardcore Gn'R fan, definitely not spending that much money even if I'm a fan. Stop the BS with the prices or come up with something that really stands out (and keep it simple, don't put all the names of the gigs, no one cares about this)

Edited by D..

Buhler confirmed he was behind today's design, and therefore that, as I thought, he was not involved since Copenhagen.

I still like his style much better that what we've seen lately, I feel lucky he came back for today, and even more that @xBrownstonex helped me scoring this beauty.

Edited by Nalbi
  • Like 1