is Lite the new Rock?

wasted

I've noticed this trend where everyone from AC/DC and QOTSA to Red Hot Chilis and Dandy Warhols are putting out much lighter albums which more ambient and pop. 

Is this because of itunes or the way we listen to music. It's almost like elevator music. It's cool because you could hear RHCP in a coffee shop. 

Or is it more this is what is happening with new bands? I'm out of touch with new bands. 

53 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Country is the new rock.

Hell, there's 4 songs out right now (3 are radio singles. 1 is an album track so far), that mention GN'R.

modern country is rap music for people who are scared of black people

• Like 3

LOL,  recent AC/DC is lite pop?...I have heard them called a lot of things but that is the last thing I think about regarding that band............they have been putting out the same album for 40 odd years and I have them all and can't think of one song that resembles lite rock or pop......................

It's just the nature of the beast, people are nowadays totally into protools, autotune vocals and minimal electronic beats. It's just how we produce records now, you can't go Les Paul 1959 plugged into an old Marshall or bust, you've have to fake it protools take care of the effects and tones. And add to the fact that girls and boys are really not into big drums, bass and guitars, it's too aggressive and violent, this is metal music to their ears. All they want are electronic beep beep sounds and a trendy dude. Hardcore rap and twerking is also okay because racism is not acceptable.

I don't know what the reasons are, internet and society I guess, but yeah, it's lite. Weak sauce. These cats aren't even really using guitars. And zero attitude. My kid has more attitude than these cats.

17 hours ago, James Bond said:

When did AC/DC put out an ambient pop album?

Rock or Bust is ACDC lite. 

I wouldn't say it was ambient but some like RC is kind of mellow or even U2. Like a 80s pop mixed with ambient synths. 

3 hours ago, J Dog said:

I don't know what the reasons are, internet and society I guess, but yeah, it's lite. Weak sauce. These cats aren't even really using guitars. And zero attitude. My kid has more attitude than these cats.

That's probably a better way to say it. 

Is it comtrolled by the rec company or are they all on prescription drugs and in therapy?

11 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

It's just the nature of the beast, people are nowadays totally into protools, autotune vocals and minimal electronic beats. It's just how we produce records now, you can't go Les Paul 1959 plugged into an old Marshall or bust, you've have to fake it protools take care of the effects and tones. And add to the fact that girls and boys are really not into big drums, bass and guitars, it's too aggressive and violent, this is metal music to their ears. All they want are electronic beep beep sounds and a trendy dude. Hardcore rap and twerking is also okay because racism is not acceptable.

Is that ideological or just a product of ipods snd social media. They listen on headphones and things are pc on social media. There's no scene or lifestyle. Do the newer bands tour. How well does this transfers in stadiums or festivals? I went to a rock show and I was the only one with a beer and everyone had a phone. No atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Is that ideological or just a product of ipods snd social media. They listen on headphones and things are pc on social media. There's no scene or lifestyle. Do the newer bands tour. How well does this transfers in stadiums or festivals? I went to a rock show and I was the only one with a beer and everyone had a phone. No atmosphere. 

We went full communist in a way, a friend of mine told me one night how great it is all the genres of music everywhere but they all sound the same to me. Nobodies blowing minds anymore as long as there is lights and big screens it's a subliminal thing.

3 hours ago, wasted said:

That's probably a better way to say it. 

Is it comtrolled by the rec company or are they all on prescription drugs and in therapy?

I'd guess the latter. I think the companys realize the days of multi-platinum and huge $$$ are over. The really act like they don't give too much of a damn anymore about the new stuff.

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

We went full communist in a way, a friend of mine told me one night how great it is all the genres of music everywhere but they all sound the same to me. Nobodies blowing minds anymore as long as there is lights and big screens it's a subliminal thing.

You got it. I got stuck watching this show on the Disney channel (don't judge me I got a kid :lol:) this blonde singer and his songwriting gf, I forget the name. Anyway he has this dream where he's in the future, and all the music sounded exactly the same. No rock or metal or rap or pop. It all had the same electronic/computer beat. No instruments, guitars were viewed like how we view harps or some shit. I think we're on the road to that right now.

I still think (hope) like in Elysium movie there will be two worlds. Up in the luxury spacestations there will be hummingbird soundtracks but down in the post apocalypse desert it will still be mad max. But first we have to lose everything and be forced to live again by surviving a zombie invasion. 

I actually really like the new RHCP new single. And I feel it still has that funky feeling sorta similar mellow like Californifirnication album. 

But I think it's as some artists get older they mellow out... Just look/listen to Elton John 70's vs 90s or Sting. They became "adult contemporary". It's not a bad thing, it's maybe the artist is mellowing out. Artists grow and expand and I am assuming these artists want to "grow" in a different direction. 

Personally I don't mind it, but what I'm disappointed in is the fact the YOUNG artists are not rocking out hard. They really make you limp. It's sad and pathetic. 

• Like 1

It's not necessarily bad but is rock going Lite even for new artists? Like the production or just general trend because of how people listen to music now is more headphones and culture is more netflix and chill than hookers and blow. 

On 7/6/2016 at 10:09 AM, wasted said:

I still think (hope) like in Elysium movie there will be two worlds. Up in the luxury spacestations there will be hummingbird soundtracks but down in the post apocalypse desert it will still be mad max. But first we have to lose everything and be forced to live again by surviving a zombie invasion. 

I'll be riding with you. We'll be like Pac and Dre in California Love.