Unofficial GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

20 minutes ago, EvanG said:

But the ones he did bring in on his own are fucking great though! Except Shotgun Blues, that's a real filler track if you ask me. (and My World, but let's ignore that one)

Right, I forgot Shotgun Blues! I actually really dig that track! lol The lyrics are cringey but I love the melody, guitar riffs, everything other then the lyrics. And Axl plays like a bad ass on that track. His background vocals at the very end are really captivating imho too.

16 minutes ago, Lio said:

I always thought the NR video was based on Without You, but not the actual song? Didn't Axl start writing the song before he even met Del?

I thought it was the reverse, but maybe I misspoke. Although the line "without you" is the climax of Estranged. So an intermingling of some sort took place.

Edited by soon

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, soon said:

Axl Rose has written very few songs on his own. OIAM and Dead Horse are songs he brought in with chords, lyrics and melody that were rounded out by the band. NR and Estranged were based /on inspired by Without You by Del-The Smell-James. Not to mention Slash was robbed of a co-write on Estranged. Oh, and then theres My World. He spent millions of dollars to have people write much of CD... because he's not a great songwriter on his own. And thats what we see in OIAM - not a great songwriter.

The lyrics suck. And Im not speaking here to the racist, homophobic, xenophobic, ablest language. Im talking about dumbass lyrics like "...Clamped infront of my back." Just nonsense. Also, the entire conceit of the song is undone by his nonsensical ramblings, he says that he needed to get away and find peace of mind and that he found it in LA... yeah, and then he goes on to say what a devastating hell hole .....

I think no one helped him with these lyrics and thats why they suck extra hard.

Dumbass lyrics?  Are you being sarcastic?  Clamped in front of my back is very clever. The police make one turn around and the back of the person being arrested is in front of the  cop. This handcuffs are put on in front of the back by the cop. I'm not going to debate the lyrics with you. Its been done too often. 

Edited by Kwick1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

Dumbass lyrics?  Are you being sarcastic?  Clamped in front of my back is very clever. The police make one turn around and the back of the person being arrested is in front of the  cop. This handcuffs are put on in front of the back by the cop. I'm not going to debate the lyrics with you. Its been done too often. 

Looks like you are debating lyrics wth me :)

I dont believe I said "Dumbass lyrics" but I did say "Nonsensical" and "suck extra hard" so fair enough. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

This handcuffs are put on in front of the back by the cop.

That doesn't make sense though! "Clamped infront of my back" either lacks object permanence or is poor grammar to the extent the the subject is lost. Sad too, because "Clamped behind my back" would've fit in just fine.

I mean we can put in the hard work and agree that yes, Axl is attempting to discuss handcuffs. But, no, the lyrics make no sense with out us being very giving listeners. 

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Looks like you are debating lyrics wth me :)

I dont believe I said "Dumbass lyrics" but I did say "Nonsensical" and "suck extra hard" so fair enough. :lol:

That doesn't make sense though! "Clamped infront of my back" either lacks object permanence or is poor grammar to the extent the the subject is lost. Sad too, because "Clamped behind my back" would've fit in just fine.

Lol! Maybe I am. But you said dumbass lyrics. I dont think anyone has ever thought the subject was lost by the phrasing in front of my back. It requires one to think and picture just how that would occur. 

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

Didn't know where else to post this. A couple listens to One In A Million for the first time and reacts to it without knowing anything about the song. I like their interpretation, because instead of getting offended like a lot of people, they seem to understand what Axl was trying to say here and end up giving it a 10.

This guy is Frank alike.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

Lol! Maybe I am. But you said dumbass lyrics. I dont think anyone has ever thought the subject was lost by the phrasing in front of my back. It requires one to think and picture just how that would occur. 

I didnt say Dumbass lyrics :bitchfight: 

EDIT: I did say dumbass lyrics :lol:

I will happily admit that i didnt have any idea what "infront of my back" meant. "Clamped behind my back" would be a more precise vehicle to help listeners like myself, I guess. Because in addition to the serious grammatical error, cops stand a little bit off to one side of you when cuffing you. Come to think of it, he should have said "clamped off to the one side of my ass" and it would be a far more vivid image. :lol:

Edited by soon
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

I agree with you. I always found clamped in front of my back in particular very clever. Reading soon's comment I thought it might be my mistake not being a native speaker, but I'm happy you at least interpret it the same way I do :lol:

• Like 1

When Lies was released everyone in my circle was talking about OIAM and we were like, man! Did he really just say that?! It doesn't matter how one feels about the song, we are still talking about those ever so  controversial lyrics today. That's my definition of a song well written. It remains a masterpiece to me and I absolutely love Axl's  vocals on it. 

• Like 3

On 4/29/2019 at 6:13 PM, EvanG said:

Didn't know where else to post this. A couple listens to One In A Million for the first time and reacts to it without knowing anything about the song. I like their interpretation, because instead of getting offended like a lot of people, they seem to understand what Axl was trying to say here and end up giving it a 10.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I think this is an interesting interpretation too:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t99-one-in-a-million#12127

• Like 1

Apparently people are comfortable saying: 'OIAM is bigoted but I still like it.'

Apparently, so far, no one is comfortable saying: 'It's a grammatical nightmare to the extent that sometimes it barely makes sense. And is a rhetorical nightmare to the extent that the songs conceit is balanced on Axl connecting entirely unrelated subject matter. But I still like it.' 

I mean, Axl seeks to vindicate himself regarding the bigotry by virtue of being a small town Murican. Why cant one also apply that social location to explain why he is a semi literate slack jawed yokel? (Im a small town white boy, so its okay when I say it! ;))

C'est la vie :shrugs:

I think the song is great. Parts of the lyrics are childish but that's a minor thing. Overall it is a fantastic song. The song has a great buildup, the interplay of the acoustic and the electric guitar, the vocal delivery, the intensity, and for most part the lyrics. It is a rock song, I don't care if it doesn't always make absolute sense. It is not a novel to be dissected by students in English Literature. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I will go one further: a large proportion of pop and rock lyrics don't always make sense :) 

Yes, and Im certain that they are all being discussed online within their respective fandoms. But this one is a doozy. 

What other GnR tracks barely make sense?

Edited by soon

System Of A Down has a song that goes: the most loneliest day of my life, but in the chorus that fits better than ''most lonely'' or just ''loneliest''so they went with the incorrect grammar, but it's no big deal. Lyrics and poetry are often not correct.

1 hour ago, soon said:

What other GnR tracks barely make sense?

Most lyrics by Duff and Izzy.

Edited by EvanG

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

System Of A Down has a song that goes: the most loneliest day of my life, but in the chorus that fits better than ''most lonely'' or just ''loneliest''so they went with the incorrect grammar, but it's no big deal. Lyrics and poetry are often not correct.

Most lyrics by Duff and Izzy.

I think whats being overlooked is that I invented the nickname Del "The Smell" James in my initial post on this subject. Thats gotta be worth something? :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, soon said:

Apparently people are comfortable saying: 'OIAM is bigoted but I still like it.'

Apparently, so far, no one is comfortable saying: 'It's a grammatical nightmare to the extent that sometimes it barely makes sense. And is a rhetorical nightmare to the extent that the songs conceit is balanced on Axl connecting entirely unrelated subject matter. But I still like it.' 

I mean, Axl seeks to vindicate himself regarding the bigotry by virtue of being a small town Murican. Why cant one also apply that social location to explain why he is a semi literate slack jawed yokel? (Im a small town white boy, so its okay when I say it! ;))

C'est la vie :shrugs:

It would've been awesome if Axl tried to shoehorn "I'm a semi literate slack jawed yokel just trying to make ends meet".😄

Edited by lame ass security
  • Haha 2