Unofficial GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

34 minutes ago, cooker said:

He tries to hard to be a rock star, it just comes off really bad.  

Yeah. It's soooo bad. 

33 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

100% agreement with everything you said here. Just not a good fit. He's much better suited to playing dress up with Nikki Sixx and pretending they're rock n roll zombies or whatever the hell they are trying to do.

This video just makes me angry that he was actually in GnR.

Exactly. Like, the dude is nice. I met him, he was gracious if not a bit shy. But his getup is fucking horrible. Keep that in Sixx AM or an Avenged Sevenfold like band where it sorta fits, NOT gnr. And I know I sound silly,  since I don't have a problem with Bucket and Robin, but those guys somehow seem genuine. DJ acts like he took notes from guys like Slash and other famous rockstars and molds all the cliches into one. In 2010 he wasn't bad, he wore less douchy clothing and concentrated on his playing a little more.  It got progressively worse as the years rolled on and by the second half of his tenure in Guns, it was unbarrable. 

The guy did put on a good show, even if it was cringy, it's just too bad he didn't use his best qualities to his advantage. If he wore less shitty clothes, put on less makeup, focused on his guitar playing, and continued to be enthusiastic he could have been a decent fit. Key word is "could".

• Like 1

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah. It's soooo bad. 

Exactly. Like, the dude is nice. I met him, he was gracious if not a bit shy. But his getup is fucking horrible. Keep that in Sixx AM or an Avenged Sevenfold like band where it sorta fits, NOT gnr. And I know I sound silly,  since I don't have a problem with Bucket and Robin, but those guys somehow seem genuine. DJ acts like he took notes from guys like Slash and other famous rockstars and molds all the cliches into one. In 2010 he wasn't bad, he wore less douchy clothing and concentrated on his playing a little more.  It got progressively worse as the years rolled on and by the second half of his tenure in Guns, it was unbarrable. 

The guy did put on a good show, even if it was cringy, it's just too bad he didn't use his best qualities to his advantage. If he wore less shitty clothes, put on less makeup, focused on his guitar playing, and continued to be enthusiastic he could have been a decent fit. Key word is "could".

I have met him too and he is a really cool guy, always nice to the fans. 

Indeed his clothing is weird, but the show I went to, he did sound good, he is a big fan of Slash, so at least his tone for the GNR was correct unlike Robin. 

Everyone has their own preferences  but I like Ballad of Death or Bella La vita than the crappy awful solo which Robin use to play. 

But you are right about his getup, it is really horrible and those hulk hogan ears were wtf. All I can say that he just needs to grow up.

I do like stuff from Sixx AM, especially from This Is Gonna Hurt and the first album. 

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

You know, now that we have the reunion I'm slowly realizing how in denial I was about how bad DJ was in Guns. I love GNR and I really got into the band with that last lineup in like 08. Those shows I saw were great but I was always posting on here how DJ wasnot that bad and shit. Having Slash back really makes me realize, that yes he fucking was.

Axl, man, what the fuck were you thinking? Can you imagine him writing Guns tunes? I don't hate the guy, hes nice and likes what he does. He is a huge tool, though, and he was just such an awful, awful fit for Guns N Roses

I know what you mean. I loved the Bumblefoot line-up and saw several terrific shows where I was tolerating DJ. However, as time went on he got worse, and now hearing Slash play the solos as they should be played really makes it difficult to go back and listen to stuff like Appetite For Democracy. When Bumblefoot plays a solo it's fine, but there's too much DJ. The awful pick tapping, the lack of accurate bends, and oversimplifying of the already easy solos. There are 10 year old bedroom guitar players on YouTube who know their way around the fretboard better than this man.

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

You know, now that we have the reunion I'm slowly realizing how in denial I was about how bad DJ was in Guns. I love GNR and I really got into the band with that last lineup in like 08. Those shows I saw were great but I was always posting on here how DJ wasnot that bad and shit. Having Slash back really makes me realize, that yes he fucking was.

Axl, man, what the fuck were you thinking? Can you imagine him writing Guns tunes? I don't hate the guy, hes nice and likes what he does. He is a huge tool, though, and he was just such an awful, awful fit for Guns N Roses

2001-2014 seemed like an alternate reality Hill Valley where Marty McFly alters the past and the present seemed weird and off, and 2016 seems like the "right" timeline where it all is good again

Seriously Axl you had three guitarists in the band at once and none of them were as memorable as Slash, I am so glad that whatever he did to reconcile with Slash worked

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Italian girl said:

Poor ashba. Why so much hate? :)

I agree with @ZoSoRose on the whole DJ thing. DJ is the nicest guy in the world in person, but I just can't get down with his whole schtick. His playing ability (or lack there of) bothered me on some songs more than others. His whole on stage persona and the way he tried SO HARD to be "rock & roll" is what bothered me most.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Replacing slash really was an impossible task. I give him credit for trying because at the time Axl didn't really have a choice but, yeah ashba was just a bad decision all the way around. I'd be willing to bet you Axl probably didn't see it going as south as it did..

2 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Replacing slash really was an impossible task. I give him credit for trying because at the time Axl didn't really have a choice but, yeah ashba was just a bad decision all the way around. I'd be willing to bet you Axl probably didn't see it going as south as it did..

Yeah, but I love Richard, Ron, Bucket, and Robin. They couldn't replace slash but were amazing different (unequal) eways. Slash is GNR's lead guitarist, it's just how it will always be and there's no replacing that. It's how things are meant to be. However, those other guys were all fucking great, they brought different styles together and did great things. DJ's playing wasn't as offensive to me as to others, but he brought zero to the table in terms of creativity or style. He was more focused on covering most of the parts and adding gimmicky "rock star" things. He did try and put on a good show for the audience as an entertainer, so I'll commend him for that, but when you get laughed at by your singer and co lead guitar player on your band's live album, you know there's a problem with your playing in that group...

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah, but I love Richard, Ron, Bucket, and Robin. They couldn't replace slash but were amazing different (unequal) eways. Slash is GNR's lead guitarist, it's just how it will always be and there's no replacing that. It's how things are meant to be. However, those other guys were all fucking great, they brought different styles together and did great things. DJ's playing wasn't as offensive to me as to others, but he brought zero to the table in terms of creativity or style. He was more focused on covering most of the parts and adding gimmicky "rock star" things. He did try and put on a good show for the audience as an entertainer, so I'll commend him for that, but when you get laughed at by your singer and co lead guitar player on your band's live album, you know there's a problem with your playing in that group...

Well I'm not arguing who's great vs who isn't. Loved bucket bumble and finck myself. Just saying regardless of who's playing lead guitar, it didn't matter who GNR got and how good or bad they were. Any lineup of guns n roses without slash on lead guitar is just a much tougher sell by far. So regardless of who we like or dislike on lead guitar, none of them were big enough to help sell out stadiums. Slash was able to though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Are you being serious? Obviously both would be ideal but I'd definitely choose new music

They could do with getting the AFD 5 together before before making new music, so they can do what is right, finish touring and then make Appetite 2 and illusions 3. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 2

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Me too. I think there's a decent chance we can look forward to that

Either way I doubt I'll get that lucky since NZ is so far away. Now that I think about it I wonder to what extent Steven is welcome, Axl gave the impression it was the intention from the start to include him more than he has been but maybe that was only for the US leg of the tour...

I guess he was supposed to be there at least for all the AFD songs maybe including civil war, but after his back surgery things got messed up for him.

So I really don't know what new deal they will cut with him, But I hope he is there for the shows cause really the way he plays it, its magic and its sounds so better.