"Better" new chorus & breakdown concept

On 8/29/2016 at 1:49 AM, Slash787 said:

It sounds good man, the first part with the added improv. that really is a nice touch. 

If you plan on making the full song, then don't forget to add the new intro to it. 

I do plan on making the full song in the future. The whole song is already made on my Garageband for ios, just need to polish my playing to be good enough to be recorded more.

Edited by Mendez

12 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Interesting project, how are you putting this together? Is any of it your guitar work and where did you get the separates from?

The isolate tracks were from the Rock Band videogame DLC, theyve been floating around. The chorus backing guitar (the chord progression) was from the alleged DJ Ashba remix with (with some editing to remove the center panned stuff). Buckethead's leads were buried under the mix in the original song, I just spliced them into a call-and-answer type thing with Axl's vocals. The only parts that I play is the original chorus riff (under Axl's vocals/when Buckethead isnt playing), and the second part I play is from 0:53 to 0:57.

I also played the riff during the "All that I wanted was" just to limit it to two guitars panned to either side vs the 8 guitars that were playing at the same time in the original. And after the chorus (as it fades out) just for fun.

Hope that made sense.

I try to manipulate what is already available just for the sake sounding better and for the sake of sounding familiar. I haven't got an amp sound dialed in that I 100% like yet, and I'm just starting out on guitar so my playing is generally sloppy.

TL;DR: Copy n paste ideas. Fill in the gaps with so-so playing

Edited by Mendez

8 hours ago, Mendez said:

The isolate tracks were from the Rock Band videogame DLC, theyve been floating around. The chorus backing guitar (the chord progression) was from the alleged DJ Ashba remix with (with some editing to remove the center panned stuff). Buckethead's leads were buried under the mix in the original song, I just spliced them into a call-and-answer type thing with Axl's vocals. The only parts that I play is the original chorus riff (under Axl's vocals/when Buckethead isnt playing), and the second part I play is from 0:53 to 0:57.

I also played the riff during the "All that I wanted was" just to limit it to two guitars panned to either side vs the 8 guitars that were playing at the same time in the original. And after the chorus (as it fades out) just for fun.

Hope that made sense.

I try to manipulate what is already available just for the sake sounding better and for the sake of sounding familiar. I haven't got an amp sound dialed in that I 100% like yet, and I'm just starting out on guitar so my playing is generally sloppy.

TL;DR: Copy n paste ideas. Fill in the gaps with so-so playing

Nice, got have got a good levels mix going on, how do you record your guitar? 

8 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Nice, got have got a good levels mix going on, how do you record your guitar? 

With a Shure SM57 right up against the grill/mesh of the amp. Its pointed upwards towards the edge of the cone. (My mic stand is really a tiny tripod. its very tiny so thats why its pointing upwards lol). Mic connected to a little inexpensive audio interface to my PC. Sounds decent enough for simple things

1 minute ago, SoundOfAGun said:

57s always sound great on guitars. I like to dual mic with a condenser on guitar tracks, but it can be hit and miss. The 57 is always the "main" track. Here is how I normally mic my amp (excuse the colour filter):

I'd like to try dual mic-ing. From right next to it (possibly pointed at a different section of the speaker), vs further away (some say it gives it a fuller sound). I just need to get a another mic.

Have you ever tried an amp isolation box? (Basically just a heap ton of acoustic foam surrounding the mic and amp).

7 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

No, I would like to give it a go. I don't know if it is because my room is small but it is quite hard to record in there and get a good sound. An isolation box could fix that. Or a better room....

I think itll definitely help if your rooms the issue. 

On 8/29/2016 at 1:24 AM, Mendez said:

This is a concept for a new extended chorus and an extended breakdown section for Better.

Feedback would be appreciated.:headbang:

ok so to preface i am NOT a musician. i like this BUT the thing i like about the CD version is the clipped way the word better is. this is probably no help but that just IMO :)

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ok so to preface i am NOT a musician. i like this BUT the thing i like about the CD version is the clipped way the word better is. this is probably no help but that just IMO :)

I dont know exactly what you mean. on "Now I Know You Better" you mean spliced together? Or clipped as in it the audio is clipping.

Just now, Mendez said:

I dont know exactly what you mean. on "Now I Know You Better" you mean spliced together? Or clipped as in it the audio is clipping.

just the word better is clipped in CD...not drawn out. in your version is sounds more drawn out. i like the clipped version because in most songs the singer(s) like to draw words out. like i said i'm not a musician and it's probably a silly point :shrugs: idk how to explain it better? ( sorry for the unintentional pun :P )

13 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

just the word better is clipped in CD...not drawn out. in your version is sounds more drawn out. i like the clipped version because in most songs the singer(s) like to draw words out. like i said i'm not a musician and it's probably a silly point :shrugs: idk how to explain it better? ( sorry for the unintentional pun :P )

Oh like he stops saying it sooner than he does here?