Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

3 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Maybe Izzy was going to have an Adler situation, guest spot duties on a song or two (Double Talkin' Jive, of course) but he wanted to be paid like he was doing a full show :shrugs:

We don't know that though. What spot exactly he was offered and for how much $?

We'll never know.

I'll probably get skewered for saying it but in my opinion, assuming it was all about money, then not paying Izzy was a smart decision by Axl/Slash/Duff. They did a stadium tour, not intimate fan club gigs, and not including Izzy didn't mean crap to their bottom line because stadium gigs draw casual fans and to a casual fan guns is axl and slash. Duff was probably only there because he helped facilitate a truce or they could have done without him as well. At the end of the day the music business is just that- a business. 

While being far from a die hard fan I grew up on guns and would have loved to see izzy, he was my favorite member as a kid. But I can say that of the 7 people I went with to this tour, 3 didn't know who he was (and were irritated by my constant comments that I hoped he showed up) and the other four knew him but could have cared less if he was there. Yet they all happily forked over their $200 for the show and had a great time. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jane M. said:

We don't know that though. What spot exactly he was offered and for how much $?

We'll never know.

Unless we get a passive-aggressive press release from the band, the details will likely remain tight-lipped

1 minute ago, goneshootin said:

I'll probably get skewered for saying it but in my opinion, assuming it was all about money, then not paying Izzy was a smart decision by Axl/Slash/Duff. They did a stadium tour, not intimate fan club gigs, and not including Izzy didn't mean crap to their bottom line because stadium gigs draw casual fans and to a casual fan guns is axl and slash. Duff was probably only there because he helped facilitate a truce or they could have done without him as well. At the end of the day the music business is just that- a business. 

While being far from a die hard fan I grew up on guns and would have loved to see izzy, he was my favorite member as a kid. But I can say that of the 7 people I went with to this tour, 3 didn't know who he was (and were irritated by my constant comments that I hoped he showed up) and the other four knew him but could have cared less if he was there. Yet they all happily forked over their $200 for the show and had a great time. 

Just my 2 cents. 

For the average fan who are buying these tix it does not matter, it has already been proven as we all knew who was in the band already...

To your point I think this affects the tour in no way at all, Izzy was not there and has not been there, for alot of diehards it blows but we are a small population.  Hell in the sold out Toronto gig people were just as shocked to hear You Could Be Mine in my area as anything else ha

I was out tonight and just seeing this.. I skimmed through but didn't read the whole thread. Has any brought up the possibility that his account may have been hacked or something?  

"They didn't want to split the loot equally"?

Something just doesn't sound right about the way it is stated.. Who knows.. Gonna crash on it and see what happens.

Edited by Tom-Ass

I guess Izzy can always fall back on his pride. Grown man tweeting to fuel controversy is a straight bitch move. (Not to mention a song with doosh bag Sorum who stays in perpetual butt hurt mode.) Izzys had no ties to GNR since 91 and even said the only reason he made guest appearances on UYI tour was because he needed the money. People rag on the big 3 saying the tour was all about money, well Izzy isnt excused from that accusation. Dude feels slighted oh well. Take the money or dont whine on the internet.

I absolutely love what Izzy contributed to the band and I hate he wont ever be a part of the reconciliation. But he isnt the defacto member to make this reunion a success. 

My worry now is it could be the start of a rift between this whole thing. Future shows, dvd, possible music etc. Forget any interviews ever again though.

Edited by melonhead87
sorum
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

God, this is could get ugly. He is definitely pissed. It sucks coming off such a successful tour and reunion kickoff

I hope it does. Though I suppose he still makes money off of the inevitable tour DVD, so it's probably in his best interests to chill until after that blows over.

24 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Well nowhere am I saying fortus sucks or shouldn't be there, if it were up to me they'd both be there and it'd be an 8 person band. Maybe that kind of money just isn't realistic...? If fortus stepped aside, idk maybe they deal izzy in. Maybe they stay cheapos and take on gilby Clarke or even Dave kushner. That part we may not realistically know. But it certainly wouldn't hurt izzys case for returning if they needed a rhythm guitar player.

They needed a bass player because Tommy Stinson really didn't/couldn't continue in, so Axl called duff. Axl/GNR needed someone on lead guitar after bumblefoot quit guns and eventually ashba quits as well, probably because he knew they at least needed a lead guitarist and were working things out with slash, but he announced it on his Facebook page. You don't announce you're quitting something you wouldn't be a part of, you just congratulate your favorite band on doing what's right since you're already the ultimate optimist. Ironically, slash is confirmed back in. Something happens with pitman who said he was in publicly, then is out and his position is replaced.

This may be a reunion, but it's also a continuation to Axl even though he sees the reunion aspect because the one thing GNR had to do was replace positions in the band that needed to be addressed.

Its a fair assessment...

I guess I took your comment "Id blame fortus for not quitting the band first" as though you were saying "if it weren't for that dastardly Fortus, Izzy would be in the band and we would all be happy". Which is an incredibly optimistic thought since Axl and Izzy have been at odds over money since the beginning of time, it seems.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this. I could be and am probably wrong, but I think Izzy not rejoining is a little deeper than "We got your position filled, we don't need you" if this tweet really is Izzy's thoughts on the matter as I have my doubts they'd be willing to pay him equal partnership share to him even if they didn't have Fortus in his spot. I hope you are right and I am wrong as your way may actually get Izzy involved much quicker than my thoughts on the matter. 

Hi gunners.... id be thinkin a lot on this...

First i was on Izzy side.... but i changed my pov.

Well, this thing is hot right now. Maybe Izzy believe he is in the 80s... now in 2016 every single musician have this own "reputation" or music career. It cant be on equal numbers.... just no.

Now Izzy have to be more inteligent on this. First equals number$ can suck my dick. He have to get the number that he wants..... not the earnings splitted in equal parts..... maybe in Cuba or China.

Please Izzy. Talk with the boss. And think your number. I will love to see you in Perú n Chile!!! Just please... dont fuck with this.

Cheers!!!

1 minute ago, melonhead87 said:

I guess Izzy can always fall back on his pride. Grown man tweeting to fuel controversy is a straight bitch move. He's had no ties to GNR since 91 and even said the only reason he made guest appearances on UYI tour was because he needed the money. People rag on the big 3 saying the tour was all about money, well Izzy isnt excused from that accusation. Dude feels slighted oh well. Take the money or dont whine on the internet.

I absolutely love what Izzy contributed to the band and I hate he wont ever be a part of the reconciliation. But he isnt the defacto member to make this reunion a success. 

My worry now is it could be the start of a rift between this whole thing. Future shows, dvd, possible music etc. Forget any interviews ever again though.

I agree with this mostly, not sure I would go as far to say it could affect future band possibilities.  I think the band in the long term is better off without him, stability wise.  Go back in time, he often didn't do interviews with the rest of the band, was disinterested in making videos  and above all else he QUIT and has been out of the band for so long now. That said I am not diminishing Izzy's contributions, but he never seemed comfortable with the "Business" of music, and wanted to march to the beat of his own drummer...  I am 41 saw GNR in 91 and he had already left the band by then so I have never even seen Izzy with GNR.  To put it in perspective I was still in highschool at the time.  The money GNR earned him is the reason he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't wish to,  which is sadly ironic.  Too bad.

This whole thing really seems like a bitter divorce gone wrong.

say a husband pays out his ex wife an amount of money to keep his home, then he solely owns that property.

25 years later the property is worth a lot more money and the ex wife is kicking herself for taking the money 25 years earlier.

same applies to izzy, he bowed out 25 years ago. Despite how much he might think he deserves, it's not axl, duff or slashes responsibility to  pay him anything... The ship sailed long ago

• Like 2

Well this fuckin sucks. I've always been a Slash/Axl guy more than anything but they along with Duff have dropped a few notches below to me. This explains the ridiculous silence & astronomical prices and confirms to me that money was the driving force behind the entire reunion. Not re-kindling friendship & brotherhood. Not the love for their music and not the pleading and starved fans.

Shame. Hope things are rectified soon and we can all live happily ever after otherwise this really fuckin blows. And if it is be ready to spend $800 a ticket instead of $330

Edited by Top-Hatted One

58 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Axl has been painting him as flaky and noncommittal for decades now.

It seems that way. The last time Izzy played with Axl, he said Izzy got some exhorbitant amounts of money from management. Izzy is far from a saint in this whole thing...He may believe he is due just as much as the others. But I dont believe so off of reputation or songs that he's been compensated plenty for in the last 25 years. the royalties off Appetite were due to him whether he was in the partnership or not, as that was a pre-existing agreement that they came to terms with in the original deal with Geffen before Niven got a new deal for them before he was tossed aside.

• Like 1