Kid Rock: "To me Axl is one of the greatest rock singers on this planet"

kid_rock_2006_05_11.jpg

So Kid Rock spoke about Axl..

I remember the first time I met Axl it was me and Lars hanging out at Bungalow 8 in New York. And then in comes Axl and then Lenny Kravitz, and we just kind of had this meeting of minds at the table. Lenny left, and it was me, Lars and Axl sat at the table till about 11 in the morning, solving the world’s problems. I really liked Axl. He asked me if I wanted to sing with them, and I did. He was staying in town and we tore up the town for a few days. It was fun.

I always give someone the respect they deserve. To me Axl is one of the greatest rock singers on this planet. And I’ve sung with him and he still is. A great fuckin’ songwriter. And I give him that respect every time I see him.

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-09-20/interview-kid-rock-on-metallica-axl-rose-pamela-anderson-and-more

• Like 2

Interesting to read Lars was there. I wonder how he feels about Axl these days. I guess good enough to spend that length of time with him even with Kid being a sort buffer. I know Metallica, more so James than anyone else, had their share of things to say about him after the Montreal incident(s) back in '92. And plus, Lars spoke about Axl in the video package at the Golden God awards a couple years back. Maybe he's put the past behind him...?

8 minutes ago, Kara said:

Interesting to read Lars was there. I wonder how he feels about Axl these days. I guess good enough to spend that length of time with him even with Kid being a sort buffer. I know Metallica, more so James than anyone else, had their share of things to say about him after the Montreal incident(s) back in '92. And plus, Lars spoke about Axl in the video package at the Golden God awards a couple years back. Maybe he's put the past behind him...?

Axl and Lars have been friends for a long time now. He's joined Axl to play Out Ta Get Me back in 2006. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Axl and Lars have been friends for a long time now. He's joined Axl to play Out Ta Get Me back in 2006. 

I didn't know this thanks for telling me! Metallica is my favorite band, with GnR being close behind them, and so I always hated that the two bands (or at least Metallica with Axl) had a falling out over that whole mess way back when. Nice to know some of that has been mended.

1 hour ago, Kara said:

I don't think Lars ever had a problem with Axl, seems like hes the only who would hang out with GNR backstage in 92. He was in the music video for "Better" in a backstage scene (from 2006 as well, which he signed off on the footage for use i think in 2008). Plus he was at one of the Coachella nights (likely invited by Axl).

10 minutes ago, Mendez said:

I don't think Lars ever had a problem with Axl, seems like hes the only who would hang out with GNR backstage in 92. He was in the music video for "Better" in a backstage scene (from 2006 as well, which he signed off on the footage for use i think in 2008). Plus he was at one of the Coachella nights (likely invited by Axl).

This is all this nice to hear, and I've seen of the pics of Lars with Axl back in the day (all before Montreal took place) But I'm pretty sure Lars was included in an interview session of all members of Metallica when they were recalling what had happened in Montreal. He said something along the lines of "..none of us could really get with Axl's attitude.." Something like that... I think the video is on YouTube. I guess he got over it, and it's good that they're cool now.

1 hour ago, Kara said:

Lets not judge others by Axl's warped standards. Just because James had issues with Axl, doesn't mean it would extend to Lars. And James isn't going to stop Lars from speaking to Axl or some such nonsense. Not that Lars would yield to such demands. So there's been nothing for them to put in the past. Lars and Axl have always been friendly.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Babooshka said:

Lets not judge others by Axl's warped standards. Just because James had issues with Axl, doesn't mean it would extend to Lars. And James isn't going to stop Lars from speaking to Axl or some such nonsense. Not that Lars would yield to such demands. So there's been nothing for them to put in the past. Lars and Axl have always been friendly.

I think Lars was referenced in Axl's infamous Metallica rant in Sacramento '93. 

James has suggested in interviews that Lars was a gnr/Axl fanboy who bought into Axl's rock god persona and the decadence of GnR back in the day. Lars wanted to be a rockstar in the mold of Axl, Duff and Slash -- which is why he behaved like a fanboy around Axl "Pose" (as James would say).

Edited by RONIN

I was at that Hammerstein show in 2006 when Kid Rock came out and sang Nightrain with Axl.  Didn't know what to think, but he really was a nice accompaniment.  Kid Rock has a lot of Axl in his image, I've always thought of him as the "White Trash Axl Rose" lol

4 hours ago, Babooshka said:

I wasn't trying to judge him. As I said, Metallica is my favorite band and Lars is actually my favorite member. I guess I just had some things twisted up and I was assuming there were bad feelings towards Axl from all members of the band, not just James. I'm glad I know the truth now and thanks for helping to clear it up for me :D

EDIT: and now, having gone back and watched the video I was referencing earlier, it was James who made that remark NOT Lars. My mistake.. oops! :wacko:

Edited by Kara

11 hours ago, Apollo said:

"I've always thought kid rock was underrated. Love the guy. Great singer. Sure, last week I said he was awful. But after reading his thoughts about Axl, I realize how wrong I was. Kid Rock is a legend."

ive also found a new respect for Lars

i mean sure i hated the guy for crying about Napster but hey he hung out with Axl so he can't be that bad 

fantastic drummer 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

He is a god here in detroit but I am not a fan

I was really into him back in the late 90s when he was first introduced, and I guess I'd still call myself a fan. But it's been SO long since I've heard anything new from him. Has he put anything out recently?