Axl Rose Vs Freddie Mercury (Versions Vs Originals)

Atrás del Mostrador

LMFAO at the poster who said Axl made a mess of We Will Rock You...Freddie is a vocal legend and a hugely charismatic frontman but when I show people a definitive Axl Rose live performance clip that one is always included.  Axl's vocal chops are phenomenal but the only frontman who is in Axl's league in terms of total live stage performance is Mick.  Axl's moves, his energy is on a diff level.  few singers ever with that kind of magnetism.  serial posters here forget how unique he is.  freddie and Plant would be the guys for pure vocal chops...but Axl blends vocals and stage presence in a pretty unique way

10 hours ago, maxpax said:

Freddie is probably the best rock singer ever...so no way. And axls voice doesnt fit with Queen...

There is no right or wrong answer in this thread.  Every opinion in here is just that, an opinion.  There will be those who prefer Freddie to Axl.  It can be measured by how many people like one over the other... but that's about it.  And on a GNR forum, you're not going to get an accurate measure of that (will probably always lean toward GNR).

It's like comparing Red Velvet Cake to Chocolate Cheesecake.   Some people are going to like the Red Velvet better than the Chocolate, and vice-versa.   Or well done steak vs. rare steak. One simply is not better than the other, but personal preference.   

That all being said... there is no such thing as 'best ever rock singer'.  Just like there isn't a such thing as 'best ever dessert' or 'best way to cook a steak'.  

As for my opinion, I've never understood why people hold Freddie in such high regard.  His voice is too clean... and at the risk of being flamed... may I say feminine?  Unless it's a female rock band, I expect my rock and roll to sound mean... dirty... vicious.   I'd even go as far as dropping Queen into the category 'Pop' over 'Rock and Roll'.  And,to me, Freddie's voice is not unique in any way, shape or form.  I've heard COUNTLESS artists that can and do pull off what Freddie was able to do with his voice.  Which... to me... is nothing special and very, very average.  I in fact usually change the station whenever Queen comes on.  Freddie's voice pretty much annoy's me.  Probably because of how hyped up he's become.  It just makes me cringe, honestly.  

Call me crazy, but that's just my opinion.  

Now, Axl on the other hand... when he's on his game, he's completely unique.  His raspy voice coupled with his incredible range is, in my opinion, something special.  When he goes Mickey it's also cringe-worthy.  But man, when he nails it (like he is consistently on the AC/DC tour), I can't get enough of it.  It's hard to turn off any video when Axl is nailing it.  

But, again, that's just my opinion.  

And he clearly still has 'it'.  It's mean... it's gritty... it's vicious and dirty.  Coupled with Slash and Duff's sound, it's quintessential rock-and-roll.  

I just hope GNR goes into a prolific writing stage for the next decade and releases new music every couple of years.  If they can manage to do that, they may just be able to stamp their legacy into the history books as one of the greatest RNR bands of all time... mentioned in the same breath as the Stones or Zeppelin.  

Pipe dream?  Probably.  But that's my hope. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

you can basically get any random performance of Guns n Roses from 1986 to 1991 and it will likely be at least 18 times better than the entire career plus the entire discography of Queen combined!

like this terrific performance of the most underrated GNR song ever, which is at least 18 million times better than anything that Freddie and Co ever did on this planet

thing is not only axl was 18 times better than freddie... but Guns n Roses was 180 times better than Queen

Freddie never had anything remotely close to Izzy and Slash (and Steven and Duff) to help him out. Brian May has nice riffs on him but when you compair his guitar stuff with Izzy/Slash you really feel sorry for poor Brian!

:lol:

You are entitled to your opinion but you can equally grab any Queen fan and hear them say things like,

You can basically get any random performance of Queen and it will likely be at least 18 times better than the entire career plus the entire discography of Guns N' Roses combined!

like this terrific performance of the most underrated Queen song ever, which is at least 18 million times better than anything that Axl and Co ever did on this planet

thing is not only Freddie was 18 times better than Axl... but Queen was 180 times better than Guns

Axl never had anything remotely close to May and Taylor (and Deacon) to help him out. Slash has nice riffs on him but when you compair his guitar stuff with May you really feel sorry for poor Slash!

Subjectivity, ehh?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Yeah he sounds good there, but he was fucking terrible on We Will Rock You.

everyone's allowed to their own opinion, but WHAT? :lol:

Always loved Axl's take on WWRY. That night was one of Axl's highlights of his career IMO.

Edited by estranged_85

18 hours ago, ludurigan said:

you can basically get any random performance of Guns n Roses from 1986 to 1991 and it will likely be at least 18 times better than the entire career plus the entire discography of Queen combined!

like this terrific performance of the most underrated GNR song ever, which is at least 18 million times better than anything that Freddie and Co ever did on this planet

thing is not only axl was 18 times better than freddie... but Guns n Roses was 180 times better than Queen

Freddie never had anything remotely close to Izzy and Slash (and Steven and Duff) to help him out. Brian May has nice riffs on him but when you compair his guitar stuff with Izzy/Slash you really feel sorry for poor Brian!

Cough cough...here's ONE guy from Queen (with Cozy Powell, Neil Murray etc) performing at a level definitely at least 19 times better than Axl ever did

;)

Edited by DR DOOM

10 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Well Axl would be any day better than that Adam Lambert weirdo. 

Gotta say, Adam is a really good fit with Queen right now. Saw them play a near sold out arena show a few years ago and it was stellar. He isn't Freddie, not even close, but he did a great job and Id recommend the show to any Queen fan. 

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Gotta say, Adam is a really good fit with Queen right now. Saw them play a near sold out arena show a few years ago and it was stellar. He isn't Freddie, not even close, but he did a great job and Id recommend the show to any Queen fan. 

I remember when he came for the American Idol auditions, I was like this guy is going to win it and he did. 

Im not saying he is bad, but I don't know, Freddie had this magical voice no one can be like him and yeah I cannot blame Adam for that. 

But it just doesn't feels right. I haven't seen Queen live, but maybe for the fans who really love queen and who haven't seen Queen back in the day then it would be a good thing. 

It may sound cringe worthy, but there are many lookalikes of Freddie and they even sound so similar to Freddie, so they would have been a better choice. 

31 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I remember when he came for the American Idol auditions, I was like this guy is going to win it and he did. 

Im not saying he is bad, but I don't know, Freddie had this magical voice no one can be like him and yeah I cannot blame Adam for that. 

But it just doesn't feels right. I haven't seen Queen live, but maybe for the fans who really love queen and who haven't seen Queen back in the day then it would be a good thing. 

It may sound cringe worthy, but there are many lookalikes of Freddie and they even sound so similar to Freddie, so they would have been a better choice. 

Brian and Roger deliberately didn't go looking to replace Freddie with someone who was a carbon copy of him, because they felt there was no replacing Freddie and that would be disrespectful. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

i agree. i watched the queen+adam concert when they were in singapore two weeks ago for the grand prix. adam put up a good performance. they injected freddie's vocals and videos. it somehow felt he was there too.

7 hours ago, Apollo said:

What a topic. 

Just to be clear...people are saying that Little Richard wasnt rock, Axl sings Queen songs better than Mercury, GnR was 18 or 180 times better than Queen, and that the current members of Queen were wrong in who THEY though should front THEIR band?

I am just walking away quietly and peacefully so as not to get a warning point. 

Yes indeed.

Thing is, I like GNR way more than Queen but just cause GNR is one of my favourites doesn't equate to them being the super bestest in all respects.

• Like 3

Here huge Queen and Guns N' Roses fan, so after a lot of :facepalm: while reading this thread, I have to ask: are you fucking kidding me?

Axl singing Queen songs better than Freddie? Axl being a better performer on stage than Freddie? Axl being a better songwriter than Freddie? Axl is a fuckin god, he is. Axl still is one of the best frontmen ever. Axl has this energy and that aura on stage that no one can touch, but Freddie, man, Freddie is out of this world. Go watch Live Aid. Really, look at that guy being the king of that stage, commanding that crowd, dancing with the camera. No one can or will ever touch that. Nor Axl, nor god. With that being said Axl performances were indeed amazing and if anyone could come close to Freddie it would be the ginger, but let's not exaggerate.

On 26/09/2016 at 5:01 PM, ludurigan said:

I lol'd so much reading this. Do you even know Queen? If you don't like it, that's ok. If you prefer GN'R that's ok also. But saying something like this is just plain naive.

That band wrote equally, they all wrote songs, they all brought ideas to the table, they were a band in which all the four members had a hand on the songs. You want some examples: Freddie - Bohemian Rhapsody. Brian - We Will Rock You. Roger - These are the Days of our Lives. Deacon - I Want to Break Free. All these are not only masterpieces but also milestones on Rock. 

Edited by dgnr
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Here huge Queen and Guns N' Roses fan, so after a lot of :facepalm: while reading this thread, I have to ask: are you fucking kidding me?

Axl singing Queen songs better than Freddie? Axl being a better performer on stage than Freddie? Axl being a better songwriter than Freddie? Axl is a fuckin god, he is. Axl still is one of the best frontmen ever. Axl has this energy and that aura on stage that no one can touch, but Freddie, man, Freddie is out of this world. Go watch Live Aid. Really, look at that guy being the king of that stage, commanding that crowd, dancing with the camera. No one can or will ever touch that. Nor Axl, nor god. With that being said Axl performances were indeed amazing and if anyone could come close to Freddie it would be the ginger, but let's not exaggerate.

I lol'd so much reading this. Do you even know Queen? If you don't like it, that's ok. If you prefer GN'R that's ok also. But saying something like this is just plain naive.

That band wrote equally, they all wrote songs, they all brought ideas to the table, they were a band in which all the four members had a hand on the songs. You want some examples: Freddie - Bohemian Rhapsody. Brian - Love of My Life. Roger - These are the Days of our Lives. Deacon - I Want to Break Free. All these are not only masterpieces but also milestones on Rock. 

I'm a huge Queen fan also. Honestly I was really surprised at what I was reading too. Then I realised some people were clearly just talking out of their asses. 

• Like 2