Nintendo Switch

Gnrfan2001

8 hours ago, downzy said:

I'm still unsure why people are so supportive of Nintendo being a hardware company? 

Why?

I'd love to play Mario and Zelda, but not if I have to buy another piece of hardware.  Would love it if Nintendo either made a machine that was powerful enough to play games like RDR, GTA, and other third-party games with no relative compromise for a console.  But they don't.  Instead people who want to play both Rockstar games and Mario have to buy two gaming consoles. 

Wish Nintendo went the route of Sega and published games on other systems.  

what have the gameboy, snes, N64 and switch in common?

no moving parts.

My PS1 and PS2 have long stopped working. My original snes still looks and plays like new.

The decision to use cartridges, ultimately a consumer friendly decision for durability, is not one I see sony or xbox making.

I was exctatic with the switch reveal, for this reason.

This is why I personally, would like nintendo to remain a hardware company.

Edited by action

41 minutes ago, action said:

what have the gameboy, snes, N64 and switch in common?

no moving parts.

My PS1 and PS2 have long stopped working. My original snes still looks and plays like new.

The decision to use cartridges, ultimately a consumer friendly decision for durability, is not one I see sony or xbox making.

What do you think that this is?

ps5-digital-edition.jpg?w=2000&ssl=1

or this?

GNEpAZoSiXfon4MQm8FrYS-1200-80.jpg

don't get me started on all digital consoles.

anyone who thinks long-term can't possibly pick one of these.

Imagine having hundreds of dollars worth of games digitally on your ps5 or xbox. then, after 6 years it overheats and you lose all your games. Probably you will be able to redownload. Will you be able to redownload in 30 years time? good luck taking that gamble.

I've had a snes breaking up once. Didn't matter. For 50 euros I had a new one, and I could easily switch my games to the new console. I have three spare snes console ready to go, in storage for if another snes dies. these things are built like a tank though.

I know, this line of thought is a bit complex to follow, and the big mass doesn't care. But I do. I spend a lot of money on games, I think on the long term, I wanna still be able to play these games 30 years on from now... like I still play my original snes games today.

Edited by action

17 hours ago, downzy said:

I'm still unsure why people are so supportive of Nintendo being a hardware company? 

Why?

I'd love to play Mario and Zelda, but not if I have to buy another piece of hardware.  Would love it if Nintendo either made a machine that was powerful enough to play games like RDR, GTA, and other third-party games with no relative compromise for a console.  But they don't.  Instead people who want to play both Rockstar games and Mario have to buy two gaming consoles. 

They make great hardware and fantastic first party games. They have a long lineage of that, if your in any doubt of the quality of their finest offerings...keep enjoying GTA I guess.

Nintendo bring a style and feel not attainable anywhere else. They own IP which is worth more than most. - Meanwhile...Xbox still doesn't have that exclusive killer must have game...STILL. why are THEY still making consoles?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

- Meanwhile...Xbox still doesn't have that exclusive killer must have game...STILL. why are THEY still making consoles?

this

and seeing how microsoft is bringing some of their exclusives to switch, the relevancy of xbox hardware is escaping me.

the rare replay collection is screaming for a switch port

it would do both parties a massive favour, both nintendo and microsoft, if the latter just stopped making hardware and released all their games on the switch. microsoft would sell more games, and nintendo would sell even more consoles.

but they say no, because we can't have good things

Edited by action

18 hours ago, downzy said:

Why?

I dont mind it so much if they have a solid console. I really like the Switch's design and gimmicks. I'd rather have paid the $300 once to have that. Same with the Wii. If a future console is like the Gamecube which was just another console or the WiiU which had a bad gimmick, then I'm not as interested.

They would be dumb to abandon the Switch's mobile/home console+built in controller platform with the successor but nothing is set in stone. They completely abandoned the Wii's design with the WiiU and that was one of the most successful consoles of all time

Edited by ZoSoRose

35 minutes ago, action said:

the rare replay collection is screaming for a switch port

I'd be stoked for that with Goldeneye and Donkey Kong 64 on Switch. I got the Replay for Xbox but it's not the same, I'd be more inclined to play some of those games mobile in between work stuff and my gf using the TV

• Like 1

9 hours ago, action said:

Imagine having hundreds of dollars worth of games digitally on your ps5 or xbox. then, after 6 years it overheats and you lose all your games. Probably you will be able to redownload. Will you be able to redownload in 30 years time? good luck taking that gamble.

Imagine owning only physical copies of games and your house burns down or some burglars your home and takes everything.

There's risks to everything.

I have games I downloaded back in 2007 for my Xbox 360 that I can still re-download and play on my Xbox One X (and will be playable on the Xbox Series X).  I can definitely see games you buy now being available to re-download in 30 years time.

If the concern is not having physical access, then one could always download the games onto a backup external SSD and put it away for safe keeping.  

Microsoft and it's looking more and more like Sony are building eco-systems that are backward compatible.  

I've had a snes breaking up once. Didn't matter. For 50 euros I had a new one, and I could easily switch my games to the new console. I have three spare snes console ready to go, in storage for if another snes dies. these things are built like a tank though.

That seems like a strange hedge against the possibility of a 25+ year old system dying.

Aren't you the one who just re-bought the same games you already own in the new Mario Brothers 3D all stars?  

The way technology is going the system is becoming less relevant.  Sure, there are some people who still hold on to all their old VHSs and DVDs, but most have moved to digital and streaming libraries.  That's the future, one that both Sony, Microsoft, Google, Apple, and Amazon are embracing to various extents.  It's both consumer friendly and makes for a better business model.  

I know, this line of thought is a bit complex to follow, and the big mass doesn't care. But I do. I spend a lot of money on games, I think on the long term, I wanna still be able to play these games 30 years on from now... like I still play my original snes games today.

I definitely think you're in the very small and shrinking minority.  A lot of it is based on nostalgia.  Most new kids are growing up with Netflix, GamePass, Apple Arcade, and eventually services like Stadia or Luna.  And the great thing about some upcoming streaming services like Luna is companies like Nintendo could have their own "channel," by which all those old games could be accessible regardless of what screen you're on.  With 5G around the corner there will be very little need to have physical copies of anything when everything can be streamed to your device.  

They make great hardware and fantastic first party games.

Considering the number of people complaining (to this day) of controller drift, I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment that Nintendo makes great hardware.

Yes, they make great first party games.  But considering how powerful smartphones are today, most could either be played on an iphone with the proper periphery.  Or on a Smart TV (or another console).  There is no need for a Nintendo console other than to make consumers drop an additional $300+ on another console.  

They have a long lineage of that, if your in any doubt of the quality of their finest offerings...keep enjoying GTA I guess.

I've been playing Nintendo when it first came out; I think I got a NES in 1987 or 1988 and a Gameboy in 1990.  I've owned the SNES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii.  No need to tell me how great their first party games are.  But for me - and many other people - it's just not worth spending the extra money on another Nintendo console when the same games could be played on an Xbox, Playstation, or smartphone.  

Nintendo bring a style and feel not attainable anywhere else.

How so?  How would playing Zelda on an Xbox change the experience?  

Xbox still doesn't have that exclusive killer must have game...STILL. why are THEY still making consoles?

Sure, Microsoft doesn't have a Mario, but people still buy Xbox for Halo, Forza, Gears, Fable, and the best console to play most third-party games like RDR or GTA.  Microsoft revolutionized online playing for consoles and their current Game Pass service is unbeatable in the industry.  It may not be for you or others, but there are compelling reasons to buy either a Playstation or Xbox.  

51 minutes ago, action said:

it would do both parties a massive favour, both nintendo and microsoft, if the latter just stopped making hardware and released all their games on the switch. microsoft would sell more games, and nintendo would sell even more consoles.

Considering how underpowered the Switch is, no thanks.  You're not going to convince console gamers who want decent frame rates and high resolution to give up their Xboxes to play an inferior version on a downgraded console.  

You can't play high-end games Xbox games on a Switch without drastic compromises in graphic performance.

You can play AAA Nintendo games on a Xbox or Playstation without any compromises in graphic performance.

See how it really only goes one way?  

27 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

They would be dumb to abandon the Switch's mobile/home console+built in controller platform with the successor but nothing is set in stone. They completely abandoned the Wii's design with the WiiU and that was one of the most successful consoles of all time

The Switch can do something that at the time mobile devices couldn't - play AAA games on the go.  But that's changing.  Both in terms of what smart phones can do internally and what streaming services can provide.  Nintendo's selling proposition will be limited to their IP.  Once 5G rolls out there won't be a need to have a separate device for mobile gaming.

The Wii's gimmick was starting to get old.  Like Guitar Hero and other fads at the time, the movement thing kind of lost its luster.  The Wii U tried to double down on the movement fad while the separate screen really didn't do much to enhance game play.  

I honestly thought (and hoped) the Switch was going to be Nintendo's last console.  I didn't see the appeal.  They'll get to make one more but we're going to see a very different environment in five to ten years.  Access to AAA games on the go will be available to anyone with a smartphone in three to five years time.  Maybe Nintendo can compete solely on its IP.  It didn't work out so well for them with the GameCube and Wii U.  But who knows.  I've been wrong on this issue before.  

49 minutes ago, downzy said:

Considering how underpowered the Switch is, no thanks.  You're not going to convince console gamers who want decent frame rates and high resolution to give up their Xboxes to play an inferior version on a downgraded console.  

You can't play high-end games Xbox games on a Switch without drastic compromises in graphic performance.

You can play AAA Nintendo games on a Xbox or Playstation without any compromises in graphic performance.

See how it really only goes one way?  

metroid prime 4 will show what the switch is capable of.

the switch is a powerhouse, if games are optimised for it.

large story driven games with lots of data in the audio and video department are unlikely due to storage constraints.

54 minutes ago, downzy said:

The Switch can do something that at the time mobile devices couldn't - play AAA games on the go.  But that's changing.  Both in terms of what smart phones can do internally and what streaming services can provide.  Nintendo's selling proposition will be limited to their IP.  Once 5G rolls out there won't be a need to have a separate device for mobile gaming.

The Wii's gimmick was starting to get old.  Like Guitar Hero and other fads at the time, the movement thing kind of lost its luster.  The Wii U tried to double down on the movement fad while the separate screen really didn't do much to enhance game play.  

I honestly thought (and hoped) the Switch was going to be Nintendo's last console.  I didn't see the appeal.  They'll get to make one more but we're going to see a very different environment in five to ten years.  Access to AAA games on the go will be available to anyone with a smartphone in three to five years time.  Maybe Nintendo can compete solely on its IP.  It didn't work out so well for them with the GameCube and Wii U.  But who knows.  I've been wrong on this issue before.  

I just think it depends on what they cook up for future generations. The Wii was a cultural phenomenon, and even though I agree that its gimmick was losing its luster, I don't think anyone foresaw the WiiU. Lots of people knew it would be a disaster from the moment it was announced. I think a lot of us were writing Nintendo off during the WiiU and then they struck gold again with the Switch. If they continue to try and innovate in exciting ways with their hardware, I am happy to see them rolling out new consoles. It just depends if that innovation is wanted by the public, and the Switch is definitely a big hit.

I would say they deserve to exist as a hardware provider just as much as Microsoft does, as was said earlier in the thread, Microsoft has been getting by for a decade on just Halo and Forza for its exclusive heavy hitters. I have been solely buying new Xbox consoles since 2003 just so I can play Halo. I don't see much of a difference between that and Nintendo offering a console for their IPs, I'd say Nintendo has a lot more too. Ideally, there would be no exclusives anywhere and you could play Mario, Halo, and God of War on the same machine but that isn't going to happen. 

The Switch is far from perfect, but I think the hardware justifies an existence. Aside from what I have complained about a page or two back, I think Nintendo could benefit from increased third party support and external apps. I think it is nuts you can't even get basic stuff like Netflix on the Switch. 

They ported Witcher 3 to the Switch, better third party support with current games isn't impossible, it just does not generally happen sadly. It doesn't matter because I have an Xbox and PC, too, but it goes to show I wouldn't choose the Switch as my only gaming device. As @James Bond said, its best as a secondary unit. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, action said:

metroid prime 4 will show what the switch is capable of.

the switch is a powerhouse, if games are optimised for it.

large story driven games with lots of data in the audio and video department are unlikely due to storage constraints.

Today’s iphones have more horsepower than the switch. Actually a lot more. And storage won’t be an issue when 5G rolls out and people can stream games regardless of where they are.

Compare The Witcher 3 on Xbox vs the Switch. Zero chance people would give up their ability to play a highly compromised port.  

• Wow 1

32 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

If they continue to try and innovate in exciting ways with their hardware, I am happy to see them rolling out new consoles. It just depends if that innovation is wanted by the public, and the Switch is definitely a big hit.

With the Switch they took advantage of the one area of the market that hadn’t been tapped yet by the smartphone industry: AAA gaming on the go. It also helped that they leveraged their IP properly for the first time since the N64.  The GameCube was a bust because they waited until the end of the console cycle to give consumers proper Mario and Zelda games.

I could easily be wrong, but I don’t see where Nintendo goes after the Switch unless it’s just reiterating a more powerful version of what came before. But the problem there is that one of Nintendo’s two selling propositions will be gone. AAA gaming will be available to anyone with a smartphone in the next few years. Unless Nintendo has something entirely novel up their sleeve that can’t be imagined by the rest of the industry, I don’t see how they compete with the coming onslaught of game streaming providers.  Perhaps their IP will be enough with a second generation of the Switch, but I’m not sure why or how at this point.

41 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I would say they deserve to exist as a hardware provider just as much as Microsoft does, as was said earlier in the thread, Microsoft has been getting by for a decade on just Halo and Forza for its exclusive heavy hitters. I have been solely buying new Xbox consoles since 2003 just so I can play Halo. I don't see much of a difference between that and Nintendo offering a console for their IPs, I'd say Nintendo has a lot more too. Ideally, there would be no exclusives anywhere and you could play Mario, Halo, and God of War on the same machine but that isn't going to happen.

Most third-party games either aren’t ported to the Switch or require a lot of visual sacrifice to play. It took how long for Nintendo to get online gaming right (are they even there yet)?  There is much to criticize Microsoft about in terms of first party games, but really nothing since the One S and X came out about the hardware itself (to say nothing about the services Microsoft offers). 

45 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

They ported Witcher 3 to the Switch, better third party support with current games isn't impossible, it just does not generally happen sadly. It doesn't matter because I have an Xbox and PC, too, but it goes to show I wouldn't choose the Switch as my only gaming device. As @James Bond said, its best as a secondary unit. 

And my point is that it doesn’t have to be this way.  Nintendo could easily become a publisher for other platforms.  Its strength is in its games. The Wii was a revolution in that it provided a different way to play. I get the justification for the need to have dedicated hardware.  The Wii U did nothing to justify buying a new console. The Switch allowed AAA gaming on the go. But now that smartphones can perform that task, why do we still need a dedicated machine that only plays games?  It’s anti-consumer.  Perhaps Nintendo has something truly innovative for their next console. If there is a rationale for it, then so be it. But if it’s just going to be a more powerful Switch, I don’t see the point. But that’s just my take. The tens of millions of Switch owners obviously feel differently at this point in time. But there was a time during the height of the Wii’s popularity where it seemed impossible to think Nintendo could fail. Then the Wii U came out and many wondered how Nintendo could survive. At least back then it had handhelds to fall back on. But they have now merged the two product categories and rely on one console. Guess we’ll have to wait to see. Either way I would much prefer playing Mario on a PS5, XSX or even a Smartphone than having to buy another console just to play a couple of games. 

23 minutes ago, downzy said:

Compare The Witcher 3 on Xbox vs the Switch. Zero chance people would give up their ability to play a highly compromised port.  

and there was me enjoying the street fighter II port on the gameboy, in black and white and running on 5 FPS or something.

speaking of the gameboy, it was hugely underpowered but still sold insanely well.

The PS2 was arguably the least powerfull of its generation, always getting the inferior verions of third party games, but they still sold most on the PS2.

there are reasons why these consoles sold as much as they did. In the case of the GB it was portability and in the case of the PS2 it was the DVD player.

in the case of the switch, it's portability again.

there is no doubt that the switch is underpowered, but I wouldn't go as far as to claim that people do not want to play compromised ports. 

3 minutes ago, action said:

speaking of the gameboy, it was hugely underpowered but still sold insanely well.

It was underpowered relative to home consoles, but there wasn't anything else on the market like it.

4 minutes ago, action said:

The PS2 was arguably the least powerfull of its generation, always getting the inferior verions of third party games, but they still sold most on the PS2.

DVD player and GTA 3 might have something to do with that success.

5 minutes ago, action said:

there is no doubt that the switch is underpowered, but I wouldn't go as far as to claim that people do not want to play compromised ports. 

There are, but those likely people who chose the Switch as their only console.  40 percent of Switch owners own either a PS4 or a Xbox One.  

8 minutes ago, downzy said:

There are, but those likely people who chose the Switch as their only console.  40 percent of Switch owners own either a PS4 or a Xbox One.  

I do own an xbox one X. but I hardly play it, because it isn't portable. I dont have time to game on it, the TV is always occupied. 

There are games like blair witch which I own both on xbox and switch, which I play more on the switch because I have more opportunity to play in the sofa, handheld.

How many married men have quit gaming because their wives watch TV all the time, and life gets in the way? With the switch, there are always ten minutes here and there to squeeze out some game time, and yes that includes the loo.

my xbox one x is a dust collector by this point.

2 minutes ago, action said:

I do own an xbox one X. but I hardly play it, because it isn't portable. I dont have time to game on it, the TV is always occupied. 

There are games like blair witch which I own both on xbox and switch, which I play more on the switch because I have more opportunity to play in the sofa, handheld.

How many married men have quit gaming because their wives watch TV all the time, and life gets in the way? With the switch, there are always ten minutes here and there to squeeze out some game time, and yes that includes the loo.

my xbox one x is a dust collector by this point.

But that will change.  Streaming services like Stadia, Luna, and xCloud will allow you to turn any device into a mobile gaming system without sacrificing image quality so long as you have a decent internet connection.  

Think how you use to watch TV ten years ago and how you consume TV now.  This move to on-demand streaming will happen to gaming.  No need to upgrade machines or worry about dropping a dedicated gaming machine.  Maybe that's what Nintendo's next console will be: a Switch that does nothing but stream games.  

Stadia won't be changing anything. Luna..im not optimistic. Xcloud has a good chance..

But Nintendo have already dipped their toes into streaming..quite successfully too. Resident evil 7 was streamed for Japanese users as far back as 2018. 

I'm most excited to see what Nintendos "next gen" plans are. Typically when they make moves, the industry listens. They have shown countless times before, a powerful console isn't what sells the most. 

19 minutes ago, downzy said:

But that will change.  Streaming services like Stadia, Luna, and xCloud will allow you to turn any device into a mobile gaming system without sacrificing image quality so long as you have a decent internet connection.  

Think how you use to watch TV ten years ago and how you consume TV now.  This move to on-demand streaming will happen to gaming.  No need to upgrade machines or worry about dropping a dedicated gaming machine.  Maybe that's what Nintendo's next console will be: a Switch that does nothing but stream games.  

where do the PS5 and xbox fit in this?

you're defending a strong case for mobile phones there, but that doesn't speak in favour of bulky consoles like the PS5 and xbox. You're describing a future where these two already seem obsolete.