Nintendo Switch

Gnrfan2001

On 10/6/2020 at 9:42 AM, action said:

I couldn't possibly think of a game I'd like to get rid of. maybe splatoon 2 because of lack of a decent offline multiplayer mode, but even that game has an enjoyable singleplayer mode I know I'd like to revisit sometime.

I don't collect for the sake of collecting, I collect because playing games is my hobby. When you're 39 years old, there tend to be a lot of games in your backlog. Every new game that I buy only adds to the collection, so I consider my new purchases wisely.

I used to be like that. I rarely ever did the buy/sell/trade thing but then as I got older (and especially after I had kids) I found that I just wasn't gaming as much as I used to. This year was an exception of course, but otherwise I might only play through a couple of games per year and usually my focus is on newer titles. It seemed silly to have say Mario Party (the first one) sitting on the shelf when I will probably never play it again.

• Like 1

these days, I'm going for simplicity. So I started collecting game & watch games.

donkey kong II was my first proper video game, I have that boxed.

Today, I'm going to fetch "green house" and "zelda", for the total sum of 200 euro. I just love the dual screen setup, and I'm focusing on those to collect.

bought this baby today

Retro Scope: Zelda (Game & Watch) « Nintendojo

1 frame per second gameplay, 1 color sprites, it's basically a calculator on steroids (sporting a whopping 4 bit of CPU power). but infintely addicting gameplay.

This is nintendo at it's absolute finest when it comes to hardware / software integration and creativity.

Doing much with little; this has always been the way of nintendo

Edited by action

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Bummed the rumored Mass Effect trilogy remaster is now reportedly not coming to the Switch. Would have liked those 3 games and all their DLCs for the system

Is Mass Effect 3 any good? I really enjoyed the first two but never got past the first hour or so of number 3. Not because I thought it was bad I hasten to add. I just didn't manage to find the time.

Edited by Dazey

3 hours ago, Dazey said:

Is Mass Effect 3 any good? I really enjoyed the first two but never got past the first hour or so of number 3. Not because I thought it was bad I hasten to add. I just didn't manage to find the time.

Yes! It gets a ton of hate but the game itself is fantastic and has some of my favorite parts in the series. It was my favorite one for years, but looking back, I think 2 is my favorite now. 

The original endings were terrible and inexcusable, but with the Leviathan DLC (which 100% should have been in the game from the start) and the extended cut endings (still not amazing, but significantly better) its a pretty incredible action game. 

I haven't played the originals since they came out, but I was crazy for Mass Effect in around 2010-2012. Andromeda was a huge let down

Back to Super Mario 3D All Stars, I've just finished up SM64 yesterday. I got all 6 stars on every Course (didn't try to get the 100 coins stars) and had a lot of fun going through it - the camera really got on my nerves at times but its all good.

Started Sunshine today (first time playing it) and it looks great. Seems very different to typical Mario games, but thats not a bad thing (I loved SM2 when I was a kid). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 4:51 PM, Coma16 said:

Back to Super Mario 3D All Stars, I've just finished up SM64 yesterday. I got all 6 stars on every Course (didn't try to get the 100 coins stars) and had a lot of fun going through it - the camera really got on my nerves at times but its all good.

Started Sunshine today (first time playing it) and it looks great. Seems very different to typical Mario games, but thats not a bad thing (I loved SM2 when I was a kid). 

Really considering buying this. SM64 was the first game I had on the 64 back in '96. Took me a month to beat and collect everything I wanted. Truly a great game.

• Like 2

I haven't read through all the comments, but as for controller talk, the Sega Saturn gave the world the analogue stick BEFORE nintendo and Sony. 

This is the controller that launched the modern controller, not the dual shock or N64.

https://video-games.fandom.com/wiki/Sega_Saturn_3D_Controller

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

21 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I haven't read through all the comments, but as for controller talk, the Sega Saturn gave the world the analogue stick BEFORE nintendo and Sony. 

This is the controller that launched the modern controller, not the dual shock or N64.

https://video-games.fandom.com/wiki/Sega_Saturn_3D_Controller

The original DualShock is literally the current button configuration/layout as all current controllers across the platforms. Admittedly it took Sony forever to finally get the proportions right but nevertheless they took the idea and refined it to give us what we know now across all platforms.

22 minutes ago, James Bond said:

The original DualShock is literally the current button configuration/layout as all current controllers across the platforms. Admittedly it took Sony forever to finally get the proportions right but nevertheless they took the idea and refined it to give us what we know now across all platforms.

It wasn't the first though, that's my point.

18 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Which is fair enough, but that wasn't mine either. Just that once Sony gave us their go at analog sticks the industry standard was born.

Yes and no. I would say the N64 was more important than the dual shock for the transition from the d pad to analogue sticks. 

Having said that, I understand your point. The N64 controller was hot garbage, so the dual shock DID create the blue print that they all followed. 

Having said that, the 2nd OG Xbox controller (not the Duke), deserves MORE credit than it gets. It corrected the biggest problem with the dual shock (putting the analogue stick down low and d pad up high). It's a better configuration (feels better imo), with the d pad low and stick high. Anyways, I believe the OG Xbox controller (or the gamecube controller, whichever came first). Is the REAL hero in the controller debate. 

Let's not forget about the Dreamcast controller either.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I mean Xbox wins the controller debate hands down, no matter which system is your preference. The Duke not withstanding, of course, but from the S controller onwards.

Agreed with a caveat. XBox pad was in a class of its own right up until current gen. For now the PS4 pad is on par. It’s better for some games and worse for others. I generally play with both on PC depending on the game. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 12:46 PM, 31illusions said:

Really considering buying this. SM64 was the first game I had on the 64 back in '96. Took me a month to beat and collect everything I wanted. Truly a great game.

It is the greatest game of all time, to me. SM64 is a game I plan on having a playable copy until the day I die. Know the game inside and out. 

Really fond of the Nintendo Switch. As someone who owned the Wii U, I felt the Nintendo Switch had a slow start. But now there are so many games I want to play but don't have the money and time to do so.

They even have PS1 classics for the '90s kids like me. Spyro's and Crash Bandicoot's trilogies are nostalgia overload. 

Basically the Switch caters to gamers who want to play their favorites. I think that is what separates Nintendo from the rest. 

Odyssey and BoTW are treasures as well, and I'm hard to please with new games. 

• Like 2

I just paired my PS4 controller to my smartphone (why have I never done this before) and it is now usable on the Mupen 64 emulator. I've got GoldenEye running pretty flawlessly on it.

I could have saved myself some money on Mario 3D All Stars. :lol:

Kidding aside, this is blowing my mind. I imagine telling my eight year old GoldenEye obsessed self that one day I can play it on a cell phone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, James Bond said:

I just paired my PS4 controller to my smartphone (why have I never done this before) and it is now usable on the Mupen 64 emulator. I've got GoldenEye running pretty flawlessly on it.

I could have saved myself some money on Mario 3D All Stars. :lol:

Kidding aside, this is blowing my mind. I imagine telling my eight year old GoldenEye obsessed self that one day I can play it on a cell phone.

goldeneye might very well be the single best video game ever made, both in singleplayer as in multiplayer

all it needs is a bit of QOL improvements, improved framerate and HD remastering.

5 hours ago, action said:

goldeneye might very well be the single best video game ever made, both in singleplayer as in multiplayer

all it needs is a bit of QOL improvements, improved framerate and HD remastering.

I couldn't agree more. It's a shame that the planned (and, by all accounts, finished) release from the team that did the Perfect Dark remaster never saw the light of day. The footage looked excellent.

my current top 10 of switch games (all physical versions). it has all the fun genres covered: first person shooters, fighters, platforming, RPG's; arcade racing, survival horror...

Therefore, I believe the switch has the most versatile library of any nintendo console, ever.

1. mortal kombat 11

2. mario 3d all stars

3. burnout paradise

4. need for speed hot pursuit

5. resident evil 4

6. skyrim

7. ultra street fighter II

8. final fantasy 7/ 8 twin pack

9. mario kart 8 deluxe

10. turok

Honorable mentions: sniper elite 3/4, resident evil HD remake, saints row the third, turok 2, duke nukem 3D world tour, doom 64, assassin's creed black flag, witcher III, doom, new super mario bros, link's awakening, mario maker 2, grid autosport