Nintendo Switch

Gnrfan2001

7 hours ago, James Bond said:

The funny thing is, I almost feel like they would be set to make more money if they did things like Sony or Microsoft. Make the old games available for purchase instead of committing so hard to Switch Online. At the very least - give the option. I think Game Pass works so effectively because by itself it is a great deal, but it doesn't replace the ability for people to still buy those games at reasonable costs to own forever.

I think the nintendo fanbase were always not very interested in playing online. see the gamecube era, with xbox and PS2 making large efforts for online play, and nintendo completely missing that boat. I didn't hear many nintendo fanboys complain.

Even today, not that many people have nintendo online. And of those that have, don't underestimate the portion that only has it in order to play nes and snes games, and never play a game online. But this portion, still pays 20 euro a year. Five years makes nintendo 100 euro.

And of those that play snes and nes games, theres a large portion that only plays a handfull of games in the selection. 

Had those games been available for purchase, say at 9 euro, then at the end of the day it would make nintendo less money in their business model which foces on nintendo online.

All of this, because some suit at nintendo decided to go forth with nintendo online. But when all is said and done, I don't think even nintendo will be pleased with the financial results. Nintendo online subscriptions are still less than satisfactory. Missed opportunity, miscalculations, disattachment with the fanbase... you name it 

• 1 month later...

Not to be a broken record, but I have been playing a lot of Switch lately. Great unit, but it absolutely surprises with me with how much wasted potential it will end up having because of Nintendo.

Seriously, how the hell do we not have an eShop/virtual console chock full of Gameboy, GBA, N64, Gamecube, and Wii games? With local multiplayer and handheld mode, these should be no brainer expectations and not exceptions when it comes to the system's feature set. It is way easier to pick up an old game and play 15-20 minutes here and there in handheld mode. Maybe it is too tough because of licensing since a lot of classic games come from other IPs, and Rare going to Microsoft was a blow, but didn't the WiiU have a pretty robust eShop? What happened?

Also, there are like what, 4 total AAA exclusives? Mario Odyssey, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Animal Crossing New Horizons, and Super Smash Bros Ultimate? I might be missing a few, but even for Nintendo that is kind of a poor showing for heavy hitting must- play content. As amazing as it is, BoTW was put on the WiiU, Mario Kart is an updated port, Mario 3D World (their bit 2021 game) is a port, Mario All Stars- port. I am all for the ports considering a lot of people like me missed past Nintendo consoles, and it would be nice to have more ports, remakes, and eShop/virtual console content. That doesn't mean they should skimp out on the new material.

Really like the console and think it was well worth the purchase. There are still a lot of games I personally have not checked out that I probably should. I am just surprised that for such a big hit, Nintendo seems content to just let the system ride.

• Like 1

BotW was released on both systems at the same time so I don't classify it as a port like the others (not saying that you are). Luigis Mansion 3 and SMM2 are both great titles. But I agree, hopefully we get Oddessy 2, BotW2, Metroid before the life cycle is up.

3D World is an amazing game and glad it was ported over. I'll pick it up used at some point.

90-minute Nintendo Direct happening 5pm EST later today. Hopefully we get some great things to look forward to.

3 hours ago, Coma16 said:

BotW was released on both systems at the same time so I don't classify it as a port like the others (not saying that you are). Luigis Mansion 3 and SMM2 are both great titles. But I agree, hopefully we get Oddessy 2, BotW2, Metroid before the life cycle is up.

3D World is an amazing game and glad it was ported over. I'll pick it up used at some point.

90-minute Nintendo Direct happening 5pm EST later today. Hopefully we get some great things to look forward to.

I'm definitely glad we are getting WiiU games like 3D World and Mario Kart. I know I am saying two different things, but I guess what I am trying to convey is that this system would have benefited from more all-new titles and a bunch of ports and eShop games. The potential was huge.

I forgot about those two games. If we do get another Zelda and Prime game, I'll consider the system's exclusive content to be a lot better. I forgot they released a Zelda spinoff too

46 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I'll pick Skyward Sword up since I missed it on Wii. 

Hopefully Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and/or Twilight Princess make their way on Switch one day. I'd also love the 3 Metroid Prime games. That would all be very killer. 

I found Skyward Sword practically unplayable due to the terrible motion controls on the Wii. I'm glad that they've announced that traditional button controls will be an option for the remaster. I might have to give it another try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like a Switch Pro is on its way:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-pro-may-be-announced-before-e3-report/1100-6492064/

I guess my dream of Nintendo leaving the hardware space and developing games for other systems ain't going to happen.

With 4K support I might be tempted to jump back on the Nintendo bandwagon.  I've owned every Nintendo home console system save for the Wii U and, so far, the Switch.  

On 5/27/2021 at 11:43 AM, downzy said:

Looks like a Switch Pro is on its way:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-pro-may-be-announced-before-e3-report/1100-6492064/

I guess my dream of Nintendo leaving the hardware space and developing games for other systems ain't going to happen.

With 4K support I might be tempted to jump back on the Nintendo bandwagon.  I've owned every Nintendo home console system save for the Wii U and, so far, the Switch.  

As much as I hate to admit it, I will probably welcome it.

Having bought a new, half decent 4K TV earlier this year to replace my previous budget buy I'm becoming more aware of shortcomings in hardware with the Switch topping my list. The Switch does not upscale well in docked mode at all so its hodgepodge version of 1080p doesn't look great in my opinion. Seems to perform better on a game by game basis with some looking okay and some looking bad unless I scale down the screen. Clearly meant to be handheld first, which I suppose probably suits many players just fine.

Still, it floors me that a first party console released in 2017 struggles with anything above 720p.

Series S and PS4 Pro handle their upscaling to 4K just fine so hopefully Nintendo follows suit.

18 hours ago, James Bond said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I will probably welcome it.

Having bought a new, half decent 4K TV earlier this year to replace my previous budget buy I'm becoming more aware of shortcomings in hardware with the Switch topping my list. The Switch does not upscale well in docked mode at all so its hodgepodge version of 1080p doesn't look great in my opinion. Seems to perform better on a game by game basis with some looking okay and some looking bad unless I scale down the screen. Clearly meant to be handheld first, which I suppose probably suits many players just fine.

Still, it floors me that a first party console released in 2017 struggles with anything above 720p.

Series S and PS4 Pro handle their upscaling to 4K just fine so hopefully Nintendo follows suit.

I think I’m done buying consoles anywhere close to their launch date. Mid generation updates seem to be a much better option especially considering the trend of blurring the line between generations. I’m still loving my Xbox One X and don’t anticipate upgrading for a few years when hopefully the updated versions of the series X and PS5 come out.  

I’m glad to hear Nintendo is following the same pattern. I just couldn’t bring myself to spend $400+ on a Nintendo console in 2017-2018 that produced graphics on par with the PS3 and Xbox 360. I know Nintendo games don’t go on sale all that often but hopefully by the time I’m ready to buy a Switch Pro I can get Breath of the Wild and the last Mario game at a discount (and hopefully they’ll be upscaled/upgraded to take advantage of the Pro’s improved graphic output). 

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Switch Pro will be fantastic I'll definitely be purchasing one once it's finally available. Hopefully scalpers aren't an issue. E3 should be exciting.

Scalpers and bots will always be an issue unfortunately until governments ban their use.

Apparently Nintendo will announce the Pro before E3. So any day now. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 10:14 PM, Graeme said:

Yaaaaaaaaaasssssssssss! Been waiting for this for 19 years!

I've been waiting 27 years since buying Super Metroid on the day of release in 1994. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

24 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Did you not play Fusion? It's a very worthy successor to Super Metroid!

I didn’t. I’ve got them all but just never had chance to play it. My Metroid career is limited to Super Metroid and the first Prime thus far. I’m not sure whether I like the look of Dread or not. Something about the visual style kinda looks off without the old style pixel art. 

13 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I didn’t. I’ve got them all but just never had chance to play it. My Metroid career is limited to Super Metroid and the first Prime thus far. I’m not sure whether I like the look of Dread or not. Something about the visual style kinda looks off without the old style pixel art. 

You're an emulator man, right? Get yourself a copy of Fusion, I don't think you'll regret it! It's still in the pixel art style of Super too! 

I loved the visual style of Super and Fusion, but I also really dug the previous Metroid game (a remake of Metroid II) made by the developers of Dread, Mercury Steam. It was on the 3DS and the world was absolutely bursting with life and depth, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with the Switch's hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhOx-FpEAQk 

• 2 weeks later...

New Switch model announced today.

Basically $50 more for a slightly larger OLED screen. No bump in hardware performance.

Would have preferred Nintendo went the other way: a console that doesn’t have a screen and stays connected to a tv with 4k performance.

I’ll be passing on this model and wait another two-three years for something that looks decent on my 4k television. 

9 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

The mind boggles. They 'need' to improve performance. They should've at least put a DLSS 2.0 chip in the dock and that way older users wouldn't be completely left behind, they could just buy the dock.

that's Nintendo for you. Love their games and vision, but they are extra greedy lol. They'll milk this thing and add minimal improvements for as long as they can and since the Switch is a huge success, we're getting this useless upgrade now with the better stand and the slightly bigger OLED screen. They'll never change.

To a certain extent, I kind of get Nintendo's thinking with this new model.  The Switch has sold more units year over year ever since it came out in 2017.  There's only been an increase in sales and little sign that appetite for the current hardware (save for a few slight alterations) is beginning to wane.

The other problem with offering a power boost at this point in time is what happens in two to three years when Nintendo needs to come out with another console?  If the new console offered 4K graphics, better frame-rates, improved battery life, bigger screen, etc., what does Nintendo do for the follow up to the Switch?  I can't see Nintendo coming up with a completely new console redesign at this point - the Switch seems to be a winner for them and they would be crazy not to follow it up with a proper sequel (Switch 2).  I can't see Nintendo being able to swing 8k graphics or ray-tracing in what is essentially a handheld device in a couple of years.  I have to assume the Switch 2 will be everything people wanted from the Switch Pro.  From someone who was ready to jump back on the Nintendo bandwagon with a 4K Switch, that's disappointing.  But from a business perspective, this release makes more sense.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, downzy said:

To a certain extent, I kind of get Nintendo's thinking with this new model.  The Switch has sold more units year over year ever since it came out in 2017.  There's only been an increase in sales and little sign that appetite for the current hardware (save for a few slight alterations) is beginning to wane.

The other problem with offering a power boost at this point in time is what happens in two to three years when Nintendo needs to come out with another console?  If the new console offered 4K graphics, better frame-rates, improved battery life, bigger screen, etc., what does Nintendo do for the follow up to the Switch?  I can't see Nintendo coming up with a completely new console redesign at this point - the Switch seems to be a winner for them and they would be crazy not to follow it up with a proper sequel (Switch 2).  I can't see Nintendo being able to swing 8k graphics or ray-tracing in what is essentially a handheld device in a couple of years.  I have to assume the Switch 2 will be everything people wanted from the Switch Pro.  From someone who was ready to jump back on the Nintendo bandwagon with a 4K Switch, that's disappointing.  But from a business perspective, this release makes more sense.  

3 years is a long time, and it will be 7 years since the original model came out. They don't have to go all out with this updated model, but they could have made more significant improvements that many users would have probably found enticing. They did it with the 3ds iirc so it's not unprecedented.

I agree that they don't need to do more cause sales are still pretty great, but the Switch is already showing its age. It is an outdated system with a great form factor and gimmick to it but just like they don't give a shit about their online and how terrible it is compared to Sony's and Microsoft's, they don't really care about making real improvements until the moment they must. 

it works for them, but not a great philosophy for other companies to embrace cause there is less flexibility and therefore less options for the consumer.

Edited by Rovim