Nintendo Switch

Gnrfan2001

19 minutes ago, Rovim said:

3 years is a long time, and it will be 7 years since the original model came out. They don't have to go all out with this updated model, but they could have made more significant improvements that many users would have probably found enticing. They did it with the 3ds iirc so it's not unprecedented.

I agree that they don't need to do more cause sales are still pretty great, but the Switch is already showing its age. It is an outdated system with a great form factor and gimmick to it but just like they don't give a shit about their online and how terrible it is compared to Sony's and Microsoft's, they don't really care about making real improvements until the moment they must. 

it works for them, but not a great philosophy for other companies to embrace cause there is less flexibility and therefore less options for the consumer.

Yeah, I'm definitely no fan of how Nintendo conducts its business.  It's why the last Nintendo console I bought was a GameCube (though I had access to a Wii).  If it were up to me Nintendo would go the route of Sega and become a publisher for other consoles/platforms.  I really resent having to pay an extra $500+ to play Mario, Metroid, and Zelda.  One could only image how much better those games would look (and to some extent, play) on other systems. 

My defence of Nintendo's decision with respect to the new OLED model is purely from a business standpoint, not from a gamer's standpoint.  A beefed up version of the Switch now would potentially cannibalize sales of the next gen switch three years down the road.  I get there are hardcore gamers who would buy every single model regardless, but that group is small in comparison to the casual gamer who likely isn't looking to upgrade with every model release.

The other issue with a 4K Switch now is it would require a lot of investment from Nintendo-owned studios to upgrade existing games.  Nintendo probably feels the extra cost of providing upscaled versions of current and older games isn't worth the revenue it would bring in.  

1 hour ago, downzy said:

To a certain extent, I kind of get Nintendo's thinking with this new model.  The Switch has sold more units year over year ever since it came out in 2017.  There's only been an increase in sales and little sign that appetite for the current hardware (save for a few slight alterations) is beginning to wane.

The other problem with offering a power boost at this point in time is what happens in two to three years when Nintendo needs to come out with another console?  If the new console offered 4K graphics, better frame-rates, improved battery life, bigger screen, etc., what does Nintendo do for the follow up to the Switch?  I can't see Nintendo coming up with a completely new console redesign at this point - the Switch seems to be a winner for them and they would be crazy not to follow it up with a proper sequel (Switch 2).  I can't see Nintendo being able to swing 8k graphics or ray-tracing in what is essentially a handheld device in a couple of years.  I have to assume the Switch 2 will be everything people wanted from the Switch Pro.  From someone who was ready to jump back on the Nintendo bandwagon with a 4K Switch, that's disappointing.  But from a business perspective, this release makes more sense.  

Nintendo  SwitchU with a tablet controller that plugs into your Switch tablet

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Currently playing Zelda: Skyward Sword. Played it 10 years ago on the Wii but never could finish the final boss, so I gave up. Enjoying the HD graphics and gameplay again. Using the joy-con's separate instead of them on the dock is weird but I got used to it. I plan on beating the game this time!

• Like 1

I picked up Enter the Gungeon (from all the praise it received) a few years ago and hated it. Mainly because I was new to the genre and didn't really get it. Then I got into Dead Cells and got absolutely hooked. I decided to re-download Gungeon to give it another chance. It's kicking my ass but I'm enjoying it at least this time lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/4/2023 at 9:00 AM, Sausagebrain said:

After 250 hours, I think I am finally approaching the end of the main adventure of Tears of the Kingdom. 

And I have loved nearly every minute of it. 

Best £2 I have ever spent!

I'm at approx 150 hours and have beat the 4 bosses and a whole of side adventures (really taking my time with non-main story). Such a great game and worth every penny!

• Thanks 1