Member Picture Thread

Słash

3 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

no we missed out....we had to settle for the likes of Vanilla Ice :P

We had him also although he was a bit earlier, during the era of Bros and Take That.

Having a younger sister means I have an encyclopedic knowledge of mid '90s atrocious pop.

• Like 1

See, I always thought Vanilla Ice got a bad rap (he he)... he was just a bit ahead of his time! it's almost a "thing" now for artists to use another song's melody as part of their own baseline..I guess because he tried to hide it, or didn't give props to Under Pressure it made it worse, but the general vitriol at the time was because it wasn't his own "tune".. and now everyone does it.

Long live Ice Ice Baby! :P

That Peter Andre dude is so odd looking, he's got a 12yr old face on a He-Man body :scared:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whiskey Rose said:

See, I always thought Vanilla Ice got a bad rap (he he)... he was just a bit ahead of his time! it's almost a "thing" now for artists to use another song's melody as part of their own baseline..I guess because he tried to hide it, or didn't give props to Under Pressure it made it worse, but the general vitriol at the time was because it wasn't his own "tune".. and now everyone does it.

Long live Ice Ice Baby! :P

Thats not really correct, Vanilla Ice didn't catch heat for using Under Pressure, he caught heat for being a shit rapper that didn't rhyme well, using other music is sort of the definition of hip hop which had been around a good 20 years before Vanilla Ice, hip hop basically is taking two old songs, mixing them together and coming up with a new thing, almost all early hip hop songs are like that.  That and the perceived racial implications of a sub-par white rappers getting international acclaim while lyrical geniuses like Rakim, Kane etc didn't even touch the pop charts internationally speaking.  Also for his claiming to be this kind of street character when he really was nothing of the sort.  Also for robbing the person who wrote most of the songs on his debut of his publishing rights (for which he was later hung over a balcony and forced to sign over the rights for by a certain charming individual of the hip hop community by the name of Marion :lol: )

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats not really correct, Vanilla Ice didn't catch heat for using Under Pressure, he caught heat for being a shit rapper that didn't rhyme well, using other music is sort of the definition of hip hop which had been around a good 20 years before Vanilla Ice, hip hop basically is taking two old songs, mixing them together and coming up with a new thing, almost all early hip hop songs are like that.  That and the perceived racial implications of a sub-par white rappers getting international acclaim while lyrical geniuses like Rakim, Kane etc didn't even touch the pop charts internationally speaking.  Also for his claiming to be this kind of street character when he really was nothing of the sort.  Also for robbing the person who wrote most of the songs on his debut of his publishing rights (for which he was later hung over a balcony and forced to sign over the rights for by a certain charming individual of the hip hop community by the name of Marion :lol: )

you beat me to it! that is spot on. he does seem cooler now though...

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The only two rappers I know, i.e. could name one song of, are Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer.

It's funny that two of your favourite artists, Curtis and James Brown are the most heavily sampled artists in the genre, I'm talking literally thousands of songs here.  Snoop Doggy Doggs debut album might as well be Superfly, the amount it takes not only from Superfly but from the film as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

It's funny that two of your favourite artists, Curtis and James Brown are the most heavily sampled artists in the genre, I'm talking literally thousands of songs here.  Snoop Doggy Doggs debut album might as well be Superfly, the amount it takes not only from Superfly but from the film as well.

None of it is a patch on the godfather or Mayfield.

I do know that M & M song with that Dido sample. My sister used to play that endlessly. Dreary stuff

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

None of it is a patch on the godfather or Mayfield.

I do know that M & M song with that Dido sample. My sister used to play that endlessly. Dreary stuff

I like that song, conceptually it's quite good and well written it's just the amount of radioplay it got made it fuckin' insufferable.  As far as comparing Snoop with James Brown or Curtis Mayfield I don't think it's trying to be a patch on em, hip hop was kinda raised on what their parents listened to and that was James Brown and Curtis and Al Green and all that game.  Marvin Gaye is kind of a God to the hip hop community.  Not so much anymore as generations pass but those guys from the late 80s early 90s etc.  It's interesting the kind of obscure soul samples those guys used to pull out, was evidence of the depth and range of their musical knowledge in that field.

It's worth noting that a lot of what The Godfather does is some of the earliest forms of rapping, Paid the Cost to be the Boss for example, most of it isn't singing, it's rapping.  Or an early permutation of.

Edited by Len Cnut