Member Picture Thread

Słash

Just now, Whiskey Rose said:

Well that sounds promising! See, things are changing.. :)

Haha, nah. My terrible streak of luck remains intact. The girl I had been dating started seeing someone else when I was in Chile and waited until I got back to tell me.

21 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Haha, nah. My terrible streak of luck remains intact. The girl I had been dating started seeing someone else when I was in Chile and waited until I got back to tell me.

Well damn. You know, I almost think part of the problem (if indeed it is a problem) is that you travel so much..makes it hard to create a strong bond when in a few months time you could be halfway across the world..I'm not saying to change this mind you, but someone like a fellow geologist who understands this and makes the most of your time together would probably be a good match for you.

Or just keep wearing that outfit, and something will happen ;)

11 hours ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Well damn. You know, I almost think part of the problem (if indeed it is a problem) is that you travel so much..makes it hard to create a strong bond when in a few months time you could be halfway across the world..I'm not saying to change this mind you, but someone like a fellow geologist who understands this and makes the most of your time together would probably be a good match for you.

Or just keep wearing that outfit, and something will happen ;)

Yeah, the distance thing has definitely prevented at least one relationship. A friend of mine said I suffer from a combination of shyness, high standards and really bad luck, maybe we can add travelling to that triumvirate.

It's a bit annoying, if I had known what was happening with that girl back in Scotland, and hadn't been determined to be loyal then I could maybe have had a bit more fun at that party, there certainly seemed to be plenty of opportunities. I was told at one point in the evening "You don't know what you're doing to us Chilean girls...".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

wouldnt' he need at least two...an everyday one and for special occasions? :)

really thought nice kilt...nice colors @Graeme

Thanks, it's one version of my family colours. If I ever get married then I'd like to get one in the formal dress tartan:

sinclairdress.gif

Also, to contextualise Pappy's "English" comment. The kilt has been a traditional garment, originating in Scotland, since at least the 16th century, it was originally a much longer garment called the "Feileadh Mor" or "Great Kilt" that wrapped around the torso of the wearer as well. It's still used in some very formal contexts today, my cousin's husband wore one at his wedding. In the early 18th Century, a shorter version, the modern "Feileadh Beag", was developed by the owners of a logging company in Inverness, northern Scotland, to allow their workers to move with more freedom. One of the owners was Scottish, a clan chief called Ian MacDonnell of Glengarry and the other a man named Thomas Rawlinson from northern England, the third party in the design process was the official tailor of the Clan MacDonnell. MacDonnells adopted the Feileadh Beag after its creation and its more practical nature made it a popular garment throughout Scotland.

So, an adaptation of an existing Scottish garment by two Scots and an Englishman, made in Scotland, never worn as a popular garment in England.

Not that I'm cagey and defensive about it or anything...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Graeme said:

Thanks, it's one version of my family colours. If I ever get married then I'd like to get one in the formal dress tartan:

sinclairdress.gif

Also, to contextualise Pappy's "English" comment. The kilt has been a traditional garment, originating in Scotland, since at least the 16th century, it was originally a much longer garment called the "Feileadh Mor" or "Great Kilt" that wrapped around the torso of the wearer as well. It's still used in some very formal contexts today, my cousin's husband wore one at his wedding. In the early 18th Century, a shorter version, the modern "Feileadh Beag", was developed by the owners of a logging company in Inverness, northern Scotland, to allow their workers to move with more freedom. One of the owners was Scottish, a clan chief called Ian MacDonnell of Glengarry and the other a man named Thomas Rawlinson from northern England, the third party in the design process was the official tailor of the Clan MacDonnell. MacDonnells adopted the Feileadh Beag after its creation and its more practical nature made it a popular garment throughout Scotland.

So, an adaptation of an existing Scottish garment by two Scots and an Englishman, made in Scotland, never worn as a popular garment in England.

love love love that kilt! and i am sure you will wear it at your wedding :)

the story of the kilts you wrote is fascinating. did you know we have an Inverness here in the US? it's in Cali on the way to Drake's Bay ( named after Sir Francis Drake who is some kind of relation to me.) i know i have Scottish in me as well. English, Irish, Scottish, German and Native American. i'm a mutt :P 

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Not to correct you or anything, but the accepted story is that the short kilt was designed by Rawlinson who then took the idea to his Scottish partners who thought it a most capital idea and the wearing of it spread from there.

So, a new garment, designed by an Englishman and worn by Scotsmen. That is to say, that when you wear your wee little kilt you are wearing something of English design, not Scottish. I do like how you attempt to rewrite history though to make the walking kilt more "Scottish".

4 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Not to correct you or anything, but the accepted story is that the short kilt was designed by Rawlinson who then took the idea to his Scottish partners who thought it a most capital idea and the wearing of it spread from there.

So, a new garment, designed by an Englishman and worn by Scotsmen. That is to say, that when you wear your wee little kilt you are wearing something of English design, not Scottish. I do like how you attempt to rewrite history though to make the walking kilt more "Scottish".

I don't think I'm rewriting history any more than you are with your phrases the "English Kilt" and your portrayal of the walking kilt as a "New Garment" with no relation to the Feileadh Mor which you use to suit your own narrative of it being oh so perversely funny that the Scots proudly adopted an entirely foreign invention (one made for them by their culturally dominant Southern neighbours) as a national symbol of Scotland. That's at best ignorant of context and at worst disingenuous. 

"Numerous illustrations exist of Highlanders wearing only the bottom part of the belted plaid that date long before Rawlinson ever set foot in Scotland. The belted plaid consisted of two widths of material stitched together. If the widths are not stitched together and only the bottom 4 yards are worn pleated and belted around the waist, the resulting garment is called the feilidh-beag (little wrap). The word is often spelled phillabeg in English. There is some suggestion of its use in the early 17th century, and it was definitely being worn by the 18th century. It most likely came about as a natural evolution of the belted plaid and Rawlinson probably observed it and quickly deduced its usefulness in his situation and insisted on introducing it among his workers. The first instance we have of the pleats being sewn in to the phillabeg, creating a true tailored kilt, comes in 1692, before the time of Rawlinson. This kilt, currently in the possession of the Scottish Tartans Society, is the first garment that can truly be called a kilt as we know it today."

http://www.heritageofscotland.com/articles/history-of-the-kilt

I have no problem with Rawlinson's role in the proceedings anyway. Scotland's a mongrel nation, people have been coming here for centuries and making great contributions to our culture and society. If an Englishman played an important role in the spread and popularisation of what became our national dress then so be it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I don't think I'm rewriting history any more than you are with your phrases the "English Kilt" and your portrayal of the walking kilt as a "New Garment" with no relation to the Feileadh Mor which you use to suit your own narrative of it being oh so perversely funny that the Scots proudly adopted an entirely foreign invention (one made for them by their culturally dominant Southern neighbours) as a national symbol of Scotland. That's at best ignorant of context and at worst disingenuous. 

"Numerous illustrations exist of Highlanders wearing only the bottom part of the belted plaid that date long before Rawlinson ever set foot in Scotland. The belted plaid consisted of two widths of material stitched together. If the widths are not stitched together and only the bottom 4 yards are worn pleated and belted around the waist, the resulting garment is called the feilidh-beag (little wrap). The word is often spelled phillabeg in English. There is some suggestion of its use in the early 17th century, and it was definitely being worn by the 18th century. It most likely came about as a natural evolution of the belted plaid and Rawlinson probably observed it and quickly deduced its usefulness in his situation and insisted on introducing it among his workers. The first instance we have of the pleats being sewn in to the phillabeg, creating a true tailored kilt, comes in 1692, before the time of Rawlinson. This kilt, currently in the possession of the Scottish Tartans Society, is the first garment that can truly be called a kilt as we know it today."

http://www.heritageofscotland.com/articles/history-of-the-kilt

I have no problem with Rawlinson's role in the proceedings anyway. Scotland's a mongrel nation, people have been coming here for centuries and making great contributions to our culture and society. If an Englishman played an important role in the spread and popularisation of what became our national dress then so be it. 

There is no narrative on my part other than the narrative of the truth. The fact of the matter is that the modern kilt, known as the walking kilt, was designed by Rawlinson, an Englishman. That makes it, by my reckoning, an English design and therefore an "English Kilt". The fact that your fellow Scots adopted an English design as a symbol of their national identity is neither here nor there (though it is eminently funny) nor is it disingenuous. You also adapted bagpipes, whiskey and haggis, none of which are remotely Scottish either.

The Scottish Tartans Society, eh? Are they the same tartans which are almost entirely 19th century Victorian fabrications?

On 11/22/2016 at 8:55 AM, Slash787 said:

Well I thought to make this thread as the last thread got closed, I usually don't post my pics on the internet and especially not on forums and I would be like the last person to make a thread like this, but well I guess no one over here will do me any harm.

So well this is me, this was taken Last Year in Singapore.

12063778_10207363191425195_5530473421778

you're cute! you remind me of Raj from Big Bang Theory :D 

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

There is no narrative on my part other than the narrative of the truth. The fact of the matter is that the modern kilt, known as the walking kilt, was designed by Rawlinson, an Englishman. That makes it, by my reckoning, an English design and therefore an "English Kilt". The fact that your fellow Scots adopted an English design as a symbol of their national identity is neither here nor there (though it is eminently funny) nor is it disingenuous. You also adapted bagpipes, whiskey and haggis, none of which are remotely Scottish either.

The Scottish Tartans Society, eh? Are they the same tartans which are almost entirely 19th century Victorian fabrications?

Except it's not unequivocally the "fact of the matter". 

Even if we dismiss any evidence that the short kilt was worn in Scotland before Rawlinson, by my reckoning, it was at most an adaptation/variation of a pre-existing Scottish design (the same word is applied to both, in English and Gaidhlig), developed in Scotland, used exclusively by Scots in Scotland and that makes it as Scottish as it needs to be for me to be comfortable wearing it as national dress.

You haven't made me think , all things considered, "Oh, what a dupe I am, better take it back...".

I made no claims about haggis, whisky and bagpipes...

Bagpipes are used in many cultures and predate modern Scotland. Doesn't change the fact that the distinct design that emerged in Scotland (The Highland Bagpipe) has become the most globally recognisible nor the importance of the distinct traditions of Piobaireachd and Ceol Beag to Scottish culture.

Haggis? I think there's speculation it goes all the way back to Ancient Rome, but we're the only place in the world where it's popular so I reckon it's ours now... If the Romans want it back they can come and get it.

Whisky... I couldn't care less to be honest. The majority of the world's Whisky drinkers seem to like the stuff made here more than that made elsewhere, more power to them...

As for the tartans? All traditions are, by definition, artificial... Someone had to make them up at some point. What difference does it make to the modern wearer if they were designed in the 1840s, the 1740s or the 1640s?

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 1