I hate astrology

john lennon

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm presuming that the opposing argument is gonna begin along the lines of 'astrology took some of the first shots at explaining space and the planets and where they all were and what they were doing and laid the groundwork for science'.

That would be astronomy dear boy. The astrology bit is how all that affects us lot down here from day to day. Bollocks in other words. :lol:

• Like 1

Astrology and astronomy were the same thing for centuries. As to how the world works - huge topic in any day and age!

But let's start with those two radically different time periods most of us (who aren't raving post-modernists, anyway) are pretty familiar with. Day and night. Why are they different? Because of the light of time  - sun is the light of day, moon is the light of night.

And yes, that's astrology. Arguably, it 'affects us down here'.

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Everything he said in that video was 100% spot on. It had nothing to do with astrology though. :)

ya ya ok, I just thought the whole "what's in the stars is also in us" was kind of fitting for this conversation. :P

I love how he gets so animated! Plus he puts things in laymen's terms for people such as myself :D

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

I don't believe in horoscopes, but I do think the personality traits of the signs tend to reflect people in a general sense whether they believe it or not.

exactly! that is what i believe too. i don't read my horoscope on a daily basis ( ever really ) but i have so many traits of my sign...

• Like 1

There's a social experiment where you get a bunch of people who have never met before and the assessor gives them all separate readings in writing. Everyone is shocked and astounded how detailed and specific the reading is and on average give a 80-90% accuracy rating. The assessor then asks all of them to swap readings only for them to realise they have all been given the exact same reading, which was written before the assessor even met them.

People want to believe their life has meaning and love to be flattered. It's very easy to carefully use language and Barnum statements that people apply to their own lives. You can even be specific and it still works.

But it's all nonsense.

7 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

As in I'm Gemini and I ask too many questions.

Like I said, in general. Not every single detail.

exactly! and as in i have read the traits of signs of many many many people and they are NOT the same as mine ( unless we are the same sign ) and they all have a great many of the traits!

I used to read my horoscope everyday when I got the paper. Now I don't bother. whatever it used to say it never applied to me.

I'm a Capricorn sign and recently got a tattoo with the sign and the statement that "I worry" because that's what I always do.  I also complete what I start and am conservative by nature. Otherwise, I never got my horoscope read with a chart, but astronomy is cool to learn about other things.

On 1/14/2017 at 7:12 AM, mishan said:

Astrology and astronomy were the same thing for centuries. As to how the world works - huge topic in any day and age!

But let's start with those two radically different time periods most of us (who aren't raving post-modernists, anyway) are pretty familiar with. Day and night. Why are they different? Because of the light of time  - sun is the light of day, moon is the light of night.

And yes, that's astrology. Arguably, it 'affects us down here'.

Just because something was the most prestigious science of the Bronze Age doesn't give it merit in the 21st century.

Night and Day are different because of the rotation of our planet. Physics isn't sexy, but it is accurate.

Also to those of you talking about your horoscope signs; the traits of each sign vary constantly. There is no consistency to how a Libra behaves, and furthermore the very idea of "personality" is shakey to begin with.

Even those ENFJ tests are pretty much proven to be entirely bullshit.

Sun-sign personality descriptors are new in astrology. There were a few folks in the late 1800s talking about it, and Alan Leo and the theosophists popularised it.

Never found much use in it, but a lot of people claim it's accurate for them, so I guess use it if it works? I have problems with generalising, one could arguably say stereotyping, people into 12 types. Life's always seemed a lot more complicated than that to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2017 at 7:24 AM, mishan said:

Sun-sign personality descriptors are new in astrology. There were a few folks in the late 1800s talking about it, and Alan Leo and the theosophists popularised it.

Never found much use in it, but a lot of people claim it's accurate for them, so I guess use it if it works? I have problems with generalising, one could arguably say stereotyping, people into 12 types. Life's always seemed a lot more complicated than that to me.

so some can believe and some won't. like i said i don't trust those daily horoscopes but the last three people i did charts on fit them to a T. and my own is spot on and not only in a good way... in fact most of what my sign says about me i pretty much suck!