True Story of Axl Rose/Kurt Cobain MTV Bust Up By Those Who Were There

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Perhaps they were just a three album band?  Perhaps thats the extent of their mileage.  I'm not a big one for woulda coulda shoulda, i think you do what you do and thats what you live and die by, the fact is they weren't the next Stones for no other reason than they simply weren't good enough.

As far as 'the establishment' having an issue with GnR, dont make me laugh, GnR are an establishment wet dream, the establishment throw their weight behind entertainers like that.

They don't need to be the next anybody. They are as big as the stones, having a quarter of their recorded output... Not good enough!? Laughable! Gnr are one of the most well loved and influential bands of the last 50yrs. 

I know you have a hard on for nirvana but, it is ok to like gnr too and it is OK to acknowledge that they are a good/important band... Explaining why 30yrs later we're talking about them daily.

58 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

They were both massive media darlings, the media loves anyone who makes great copy and sells papers and Guns n Nirvana both did that.  The very idea that 'the establishment' sought to attack GnR is ridiculous to the point of delusional, you think Feds were sitting around investigating GnR like Axl was fucking John Lennon or something? :lol:

Len i don't know why you keep going on about "the establishent" to me another poster brought that up, I spoke specifically about the press not some deeper Illuminati type shit!

Also think you might not get what i mean by "media darlings". GNR and Nirvana both sold papers yes, but Nirvana were far more open to the press as far interviews and such. GNR were not, perhaps in the early days but they stopped for instance Kurt Loder was the only guy who seemed to have any semi regular contact with the band and that wasn't very regular at all. This no doubt would have incensed magazines knowing they couldn't get the interview that would have their magazine flying off the shelves.

Edited by Silverburst80

13 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

They don't need to be the next anybody. They are as big as the stones, having a quarter of their recorded output... Not good enough!? Laughable! Gnr are one of the most well loved and influential bands of the last 50yrs. 

I know you have a hard on for nirvana but, it is ok to like gnr too and it is OK to acknowledge that they are a good/important band... Explaining why 30yrs later we're talking about them daily.

As big as The Stones?!? :lol:  See the trouble is the only place you hear stupid shit like that is on GnR forums.  And i wonder why that is.  

GnR are not financially, culturally or creatively or in terms of popularity anywhere near The Stones and anyone who attempts to claim so either needs to educate themselves a little or is just plain talking out of their arse.

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah the whole establishment thing is silly. Until you get followed like Lennon, get letters from the FBI like NWA, or get called out by the Vice President like Pac, you ain't making no noise.

Thank you, what J said precisely!

• Like 1

I do remember some of the churches here in the south were trying to get their followers to turn in their kids CDs and then they burned them on the news, not just GNR, but some other bands too.  That's when they started the explicit lyrics stickers on cds. 

The media did fabricate a lot of stories about Axl too. He even mentioned it in the China interviews this year. 

23 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I really wouldn't have wanted to fight early 90's Axl. He was small but he's nuts. 

Nobody did, you didn't fuck with Late 80's/early 90's Axl. That's probably more the reason Kurt backed down, he knew he'd get his ass kicked.  I'm not an Axlite either, just saying Axl had a reputation as a very good fighter, you did not fuck with Axl.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jane M. said:

Poor baby Frances surrounded by a bunch of rockstars morons.

You mean poor baby Frances had to grow up without a father and half a mother...

everything seemed like fun pranks until Kurt went to the press. 

Courtney taunts Axl

Axl fires back 

Dave calls out Axl after their performance

Kurt spits on "Axl's" piano

Duff starts calling people out backstage 

GNR try to flip their trailer over

both bands put on a great performance nobody leaves injured and they leave as two of the biggest bands at this time...

then Kurt turns to the press and turns it into "that Axl guy sucks he thinks he's cool but he's just establishment rock and is a psycho..I'm the cool guy that just laughed in his face" 

I don't think it would have been a big deal if Kurt would have actually been that cool guy and let it go...but his goal was to make gnr look bad and that probably got to Axl more than anything else 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Nobody did, you didn't fuck with Late 80's/early 90's Axl. That's probably more the reason Kurt backed down, he knew he'd get his ass kicked.  I'm not an Axlite either, just saying Axl had a reputation as a very good fighter, you did not fuck with Axl.  

Yeah thats why he shit it from Bob Guccione Jnr.  Vince Neil wanted it too and nothing happened.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah thats why he shit it from Bob Guccione Jnr.  Vince Neil wanted it too and nothing happened.

You mean the Vince Neil that sucker punched Izzy and then was being "held back" by cops when Axl came along...lol

Bob Guccione Jr. didn't want anything of Axl, he wanted to save face and sent a fucking letter, a LETTER!  LOL....you are kidding right?

2 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Bob Guccione Jr. didn't want anything of Axl, he wanted to save face and sent a fucking letter, a LETTER!  LOL....you are kidding right?

What was he supposed to do? Fly out to LA and look for Axl?  He told Axl to name the time and the ring and Axl never responded.

22 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

As big as The Stones?!? :lol:  See the trouble is the only place you hear stupid shit like that is on GnR forums.  And i wonder why that is.  

GnR are not financially, culturally or creatively or in terms of popularity anywhere near The Stones and anyone who attempts to claim so either needs to educate themselves a little or is just plain talking out of their arse.

Thank you, what J said precisely!

The Rolling Stones have over 2.5 million albums.

Guns N' Roses have sold over 100 million albums.

The Rolling Stones have released  30 studio albums, 18 live albums and countless greatest  hits. In addition, their  catalog  has been re-released numerous  times.

Guns N' Roses released six albums, one live album and one GH.

Because The Stones have released so much more material and have a 25 year head start, it's kind of hard to compare the two.

A few points: 

The Rolling  Stones  have over 20 million facebook likes.

Guns N' Roses have over 30.5 million facebook likes.

GN'R, like AC/DC and Sabbath are hip with youth culture. You always see kids with a GN'R shirt and are familiar  with songs like WTTJ, SCOM and NR. If you asked any random kid to name three Stones songs, how many could?

As a personal  preference, I would absolutely take GN'R  over the Stones. I like RS, but they honestly never did a whole lot for me. 

On 12/21/2016 at 4:10 AM, Tom2112 said:

Axl comes off as a hot head, but clearly just a guy over reacting to deliberate attempts to rile him up.

No doubt that AXL was a hothead. But Nirvana clearly had an inferiority complex and were an insecure band. They remind me of that line from the movie Deadpool "Look! I'm a teenage girl, I'd rather be anywhere than here! I'm all about long sullen silences, followed by mean comments, followed by more silence! So what's it gonna be: long sullen silence or mean comment? Go on, take your pick."

The differences between Nirvana and GN'R were drastic. And their frontmen couldn't have been more different. AXL was a lot of things, but rarely insecure. He developed a bit of a god complex, but he was never threatened by other bands and their success. That's why he's generally a fan of what's new and relevant (think NWA, Nirvana, NIN, etc) and tries to expand his sound to keep up with the times. Other artists get stuck in the old days and in their old ways.

Edited by thunderram

10 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

The Rolling Stones have over 2.5 million albums.

Guns N' Roses have sold over 100 million albums.

The Rolling Stones have released  30 studio albums, 18 live albums and countless greatest  hits. In addition, their  catalog  has been re-released numerous  times.

Guns N' Roses released six albums, one live album and one GH.

Because The Stones have released so much more material and have a 25 year head start, it's kind of hard to compare the two.

A few points: 

The Rolling  Stones  have over 20 million facebook likes.

Guns N' Roses have over 30.5 million facebook likes.

GN'R, like AC/DC and Sabbath are hip with youth culture. You always see kids with a GN'R shirt and are familiar  with songs like WTTJ, SCOM and NR. If you asked any random kid to name three Stones songs, how many could?

As a personal  preference, I would absolutely take GN'R  over the Stones. I like RS, but they honestly never did a whole lot for me. 

The Rolling Stones have sold 250 million albums.